FRAM Titanium FS7317 rust ?

Noticed this when checking oil . Probably just the coating wearing of exposing the paint beneath . This is the newer filter w/o the metal screen .

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like rust to me! This is the issue I’ve had with the Sure Grip on the older Ultras (although usually caused by an impact with road debris (or a dent)-the steel underneath is not painted, rust rapidly occurs. And, since it’s been on more than a year, likely no warranty…

Or change out filter and oil when weather is better .

Last edited:
I had a cut open Titanium can around, but I must have thrown it out. But I do have an Ultra can, and did some paint and grip coating scrape off and this is what I found. I would say the Titanium is not painted before the grip coating is put on. If someone has a used Titanium laying around they can do a paint scrape test to verify that theory.

On the Ultra, looks like the dome area was not painted before the grip coating was applied. The gold paint line stops about half way up into the black grip coating, and the top is definitely not painted underneath the black grip coating.

1701639039272.jpeg

1701639061165.jpeg

I had a cut open Titanium can around, but I must have thrown it out. But I do have an Ultra can, and did some paint and grip coating scrape off and this is what I found. I would say the Titanium is not painted before the grip coating is put on. If someone has a used Titanium laying around they can do a paint scrape test to verify that theory.

On the Ultra, looks like the dome area was not painted before the grip coating was applied. The gold paint line stops about half way up into the black grip coating, and the top is definitely not painted underneath the black grip coating.

View attachment 191396

View attachment 191397
The Ultras DEFINITELY ARE NOT painted under the Sure Grip on top, and that stuff falls off very easily. I have a Fram Pro Synthetic OG Ultra on the Corolla in my sig, and the gold paint looks perfect after 2 years, and it’s going into its’ 3rd winter, it’ll get changed (& cut open) in the spring.

Back