FRAM ON SALE

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know a guy that has a 7 sec dragster. he runs fram cause that what his sponsor gives him. but changes it every 3 runs. it gets a lot of blow by, methanol.

Originally Posted By: crw
I wouldn't use one if it were free.

Same here. I joined the "FRAM Failure Club" years ago when I used their OCOD for the first time on my VW Golf. Before than I had been using Purolator, and sometimes Mahle when the price was right, one time I couldn't find my part available from Purolator or Mahle and didn't want to wait to change my oil, I figured FRAM is a well known and popular brand how could I go wrong?

HA! Went ahead with my OC installed the new FRAM (correct part too) and filled with new oil (same brand I had been using for years ) Mobil Dino...Button everything back up and start the car. Wait for the oil pressure light to go out after a few seconds ...but wait...it DOESN'T GO OFF and keeps on blinking!!! I immediately shut the engine down and wonder what the heck happened on my 14k mile almost new car???!!! Have it towed to the dealer and VIOLA it turns out that the ADBV had failed and caused the lamp to continue to light!
This FRAM FAILURE cost me more time, money, worry, and frustration....I have never used FRAM again and have never had another oil change issue, ever!

Last edited:
When I saw the title of the topic, I knew this would be a spirited argument.

The average BITOG member likely gets as excited at a Fram sale as they do reading a bilboard labeled

"FREE DOG POO"

I have seen one fail in front of my own eyes, and I have seen one motorcycle that had one fail and fried a nearly new motor.

They are okay for stock stuff mostly, but anything high performance, the standard orange can is no good. Their high perf filters I am unsure of, but the extended guard is a fine filter as are their air filters.

The anti-Fram hype on here is rediculous.

It's like thinking that Pennzoil will sludge up your engine.

It's one of the few things that REALLY embarasses me on this site....

Its not hype. They make several mediocre products sold at a higher price than better made filters.

And its not anti Fram. Im sure everyone would run an extended guard if the price was right. Id run their air filters as well with no complaint. Just wont use their extra guard and tough guard oil filters.

I think addy is just saying it's over done.

Fact is there's millions on the road and not millions of engines seizing because of them. For the most part they are sufficient, and the price point isn't raised as often as just "Fram sucks".

Well the orange cans do suck. Just not enough to kill most engines. I would suspect that they wont filter as well as other brands for the same price and in the long run make an engine wear faster.

The orange can is not the best but it works! I had a Pure One fail and posted it on here but not one seems to jump on it like they do with Fram. EVERY filter brand has problems. When you look at how many cars use Fram as oppose to other filter, it's much more and you will see more problems.

the orange can does kinda suck. besides the design, i really dislike the lack of pleats. but what ever alot of folks like em. and i have not seen any fail lately so maybe the qc is getting better

i wish they would have a sale on extended guard!! i would clean them out if i could get them for under $5!!

I'd use a Fram before I'd use an Ecore. I've cut plenty of Frams open, and a few ecores. I also take issue with the oft-repeated statement that you can get a better filter cheaper. The Fram is $3.67 at my local walmart for a lot of common numbers. The Purolators at Pep Boys are around $4.00. Possibly a better filter, but not cheaper. O'Reilly has the Microgard (re-badged Fram) for 3.49.

For a Ford, my choice is the Motorcraft. The FL-820s is about 4 bucks at Walmart, again not cheaper than a Fram, but an excellent filter. With GM vehicles, however, Motorcraft is not an option. We have Fram, AC-Delco (Ecore blue can of death), Purolator, Napa Proselect, etc. and the higher priced filters such as Bosch, Napa Gold, etc.

I'm not a Fram booster. If I'm changing my oil and the most readily-available filter is a Purolator, I'll use that. If the Fram is available and priced right, I'll use that and sleep soundly.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I'd use a Fram before I'd use an Ecore.

Me too after seeing some Ecore failure pictures on this site.
Hard to beat Puro or MC for good and cheap, IMO, but any brand can have a failure, I guess.

I`ve used Frams for years and years with no issues whatsoever. I`ll keep on using them. I get the highest,fastest,and most steady oil pressure with them. I won`t use Purolators because I can crush them in my hand like tin foil. I feel a sturdy can is just as important as the media,especially if your car`s oil filter is mounted at the bottom of the car,exposed to anything that kick up and hit the filter (road debris,etc.)

Originally Posted By: Viggen
Originally Posted By: crw
I wouldn't use one if it were free.

Same here. I joined the "FRAM Failure Club" years ago when I used their OCOD for the first time on my VW Golf. Before than I had been using Purolator, and sometimes Mahle when the price was right, one time I couldn't find my part available from Purolator or Mahle and didn't want to wait to change my oil, I figured FRAM is a well known and popular brand how could I go wrong?

HA! Went ahead with my OC installed the new FRAM (correct part too) and filled with new oil (same brand I had been using for years ) Mobil Dino...Button everything back up and start the car. Wait for the oil pressure light to go out after a few seconds ...but wait...it DOESN'T GO OFF and keeps on blinking!!! I immediately shut the engine down and wonder what the heck happened on my 14k mile almost new car???!!! Have it towed to the dealer and VIOLA it turns out that the ADBV had failed and caused the lamp to continue to light!
This FRAM FAILURE cost me more time, money, worry, and frustration....I have never used FRAM again and have never had another oil change issue, ever!

I find this hard to accept as true.The ADBV failing shouldnt cause what is described.It keeps oil in the filter when the engine is shut off,it moves out of the way with little pressure to allow oil in the engine.

Quote:
I get the highest,fastest,and most steady oil pressure with them.

Yup, that's what door screen media and misaligned center tubes that allow media bypass will do for you.
grin.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Quote:

Yup, that's what door screen media and misaligned center tubes that allow media bypass will do for you.
grin.gif

Ed

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Quote:

grin.gif

Ed

x eleventy billion!

So true.

Cmon guys!!
If Fram is this bad there would be broken down cars all over the place.All the hate on here is just silly!!!
If you dont like them dont buy them but rehashing urban legends is like saying Pennzoil will sludge up.

I don't buy them because they are overpiced for construction. No urban legend there, just a pure fact.

I'm not paying for buying shelf space and advertising for a product, the orange can, that is least common denonimator in oil filters.

Even at $3.00 (not here), lot's of much better choices for the money.

That said, if you're satisfied with a $3 orange can, congrats. Sounds like you know what your stuff is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back