FRAM Attitudes Latley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, their top tier filter truly is top tier. The offer they extended to tour their quality control facility didn't hurt matters, either. Their air filters have always been highly regarded, and that helps.

Speaking of their synthetic filter, at least it's somewhat sensibly priced up here, cheaper than the K&N or the M1. That certainly helps, particularly in comparison to their entry level filter. The Fram Synthetic filter, when on sale, is almost the same price as my Wix, so it has been pretty tempting.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

The Fram Synthetic filter, when on sale, is almost the same price as my Wix, so it has been pretty tempting.

Well, give it a whirl. I think you will like it.

I probably will. I actually like the Fram construction better than the Wix (which now has a nitrile ADBV) for my application; Wix updated the numbers in their catalog. Apparently, though, it is supposed to be being upgraded to silicone, like the previous model numbers, but that's another story.

Speaking of their synthetic filter, at least it's somewhat sensibly priced up here, cheaper than the K&N or the M1. That certainly helps, particularly in comparison to their entry level filter. The Fram Synthetic filter, when on sale, is almost the same price as my Wix, so it has been pretty tempting.

And Pep Boys has it on sale so it's tempting to give it a try (BOGO free).

Originally Posted By: JavierG

And Pep Boys has it on sale so it's tempting to give it a try (BOGO free).

Go for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
I do like the Sure Grip on the FRAM filters.

The ones I'm using pre-date the grippy paint.
wink.gif

On iATN, there was a Fram rep on there who posted that the efficiency of the orange can is actually far superior to that of the OE Honda filter that Fram also manufactures for them. Interesting, eh?

I don't think Fram deserves a tenth of the bad rep they get. Of the Fram products I've used, the build quality has been better than any of the Purolator or Champs products - and is identical to the japanese OE filters.

I like the grip on the cans, and I have one of their synthetic media filters in use currently. No complaints. The regular ones, the one time I tried one, definitely caused startup noise in my Chevy 4.3L V6. Not so with this filter.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I don't think Fram deserves a tenth of the bad rep they get.

No, it's just price versus features/build quality on their entry level product. But it's difficult to blame Fram, from a business standpoint. Sure, they could make the OCOD a more "robust" filter, and still make money off the thing. However, they obviously sell a ridiculous number of filters with their current construction, so what's the incentive to change? They certainly do have better filters for those of us who are picky. I definitely like their air filters and the price on them.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
The key here is price...

Unfortunately, up here it isn't. For the average person that just wants to go pick up a filter, the Fram Extra Guard or the Motomaster clone is about the cheapest. Wix/NAPA can't compete price wise, unless you're willing to buy online in bulk. I found an alternative in Baldwin at a heavy truck parts place for good prices but that's off the beaten path for most.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
People seem to be talking more positive about FRAM recently. Any suggestions as to why the recent attitude change?

95% of your posts are pro-Fram. If you would take your posts out of the equation, I think the Fram bashing would be about the same as it always has been. Go back and look at all of your posts if you don't believe me.

Well, their top tier filter truly is top tier. The offer they extended to tour their quality control facility didn't hurt matters, either. Their air filters have always been highly regarded, and that helps. ...

That's pretty much nails it, IMO. I just sold my Caravan's filter stash of Wix/Mopars to go Fram.

Fram air filters are all I've ever used.

Like I said before ... possible FRAM mouthpiece.

I do like the XG series, but there are again many in that upper tier filter world to choose from.

Hey guys and gals, with all this fram talk lately I went out and got a xtended guard and a ultra, different stores and one still had the xtended to get rid of. Anyway, I usually use purolator or motorcraft filters. Question is, I saw on the box for xtended guard (for synthetic oil) what if I decided to use conventional for 2 runs of 5K? I realize they probably say for synthetic oil just to justify the 10K they promote on the box. Or, is it that conventional oil doesn't flow through the double media as well. BTW, I used to use the OCOD before I was schooled here.

I am not a Fram "mouthpiece". As a matter of fact, I wouldn't consider using most of their oil filters on any of my vehicles. But as has been previously mentioned, their air filters are pretty darn good and sold at an attractive price point. And the Fram Ultra oil filter is right up there in quality and efficiency with a Mobil 1. Fram deserves Kudos for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back