FP and Pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I added 4oz of FP to my tank yesterday and re-filled......I've put almost 100 miles on the car and it still pings. Should I wait more time for the FP to cure or quiet down some of the pinging? At times it seems the pinging is worse since I added FP, but maybe I'm crazy.
The car is a 02 Z28 with the LS1....all stock except for cat-back and air filter lid.
Thanks
Rick

Odis says that the best results are after an overnight "soak".Not saying that it takes that long to work,just more effective.Maybe combustion deposits are taking a while to clear-out?I'm not sure if your computer is taking it's time relearning it's spark advance curve.
dunno.gif

Let's see what happens after a little more miles.

Mark

My car is VERY sensitive....it almost never runs WITHOUT pinging, so I'm not holding FP accountable. I'm hoping that the FP will supress some of it some time in the future.
Rick

EDIT: My car only has 11,200 miles, so it shouldn't have too much carbon, if any. I think it might be either too much advance, too hot a plug (stock range) or both. I will get new plugs in the future one step colder and see.

[ November 21, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

FP is a fuel system cleaner and fuel extender, not an octane improver, so I don't think it will cure your pinging.

Does this pinging happen with all octane ratings?

Mola,
Yes it does happen with various brands and 93 octane....I think it is safe to say that any lower than 93 and it will get worse.
Many guys who own 01 and 02 LS1s complaint about the same problem though.....it's believe it's the programming in the PCM.
Do you guys believe if I went one step colder on the plugs that it might help a bit?
Rick

Last Z.....a slightly colder plug might help. Have you tried an octane booster? An adjustable fan switch, cold air intake, reduced temp stat or ceramic coated headers might be other options.

[ November 22, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

Even though you've got only 11k on it, it could be carbon buildup.

I never had much of a problem with pinging in my 98 Formula, unless my gas was more than a week old, then it would ping a little bit. Filling up with fresh Sunoco 94 would make the pinging stop.

My car was running the ported stock MAF, the Hypertech HPP3 tuning (the more agressive non RFG tuning too) and I ran a colder plug (the TR6) I found the colder plug wouldn't last very long before fouling though (13k for me) Believe it or not it also helps to run a set of 4.10 gears, as the load on the engine is lessened. You'll notice you get more pinging in the higher gears, this is because the engine is under more load. But if you go from 3.42s to 4.10s, the load on the engine is different, therefore if it previously didn't ping until you got into wide open throttle in 3rd gear, now it would not do it until 4th. Strange but true.

My 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L pings and I have used Fuel Power regularly since March. I think most of my pinging is coming from the fact that my ignition components are starting to break down. When I replace them with all new, the pinging stops.

Wayne

Ok, I need something cleared up for me then. I was told a few months ago that FP would help with a pinging problem in my 20002 Ford Taurus. No I am seeing that it will not.

Which is the right answer???

SBC,
I have a 160* T-stat, fan switch and the bottom air box is opened up for fresh air.
I might try the TR6s soon just to see.

Pat,
I understand about the gears...but I really believe it's the prgramming on the 01-02 PCMs

Thanks for the help guys.
Rick

I also forgot to mention I had a homemade 160 stat on my Formula too. Every little bit helps when it comes to reducing pinging. Even a little bit of weight reduction would also help too. Taking 100lbs of weight out of the car would lessen the load on the engine considerably.

You might consider getting a dyno tune done also. Perhaps just taking out 1-2 degrees of timing advance would do the trick.

Last_Z
Take your car out and blow the soot out of it real good a couple of times. Sometimes my LS1 would start pinging and I would do that and the pinging would go away. A few redline runs should do it. Maybe try a different brand of premium.

Les
02 SOM WS6 A4 413 hp 397 torque

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Last_Z
Take your car out and blow the soot out of it real good a couple of times. Sometimes my LS1 would start pinging and I would do that and the pinging would go away. A few redline runs should do it.

Maybe this is why my LS1 didn't ping very often, it probably didn't get carboned up since I drove it so hard. Perfect example: one time at the dragstrip it was relatively empty so I just kept running over and over again without shutting it down (except once to pee!) and made 30 quarter mile runs in about 2 hours! That's a lot of trips to the redline!
smile.gif
I did a similar thing with my current Firebird a couple of weeks ago, making 11 runs, most of them back to back within a short period of time.

My little 2.0L truck engine pinged from shortly after I purchased it new in '87. The dealer took no interest in it. I finally resolved I would have to run higher octane gasoline than the book calls for. As long as I did that I had no pinging problem. Not long ago I ran a treatment of Schaeffers Neutra through the fuel tank, not even thinking about the pinging on regular gasoline. After I ran that through, it occurred to me I might could then use the lower octane gasoline. BINGO !!! No more ping. I'm as happy as can be with that result.

[ November 23, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: krholm ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Pat,
u-gonna-fry-dat-ey4!
Do you have a cooler?

Nope, no cooler! But I don't normally make back to back runs like that with this car at the strip. It was only about 35 degrees outside that day though, so the fluid probably wouldn't have gotten too hot anyways.

I was under the impression that FP would help with pinging as well.

And it even did help me!! I'm not joking. I can go WOT, 100% boost and ZERO ping with FP in the tank. Without FP I do get ping at WOT even with premium.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Pat,
u-gonna-fry-dat-ey4!
Do you have a cooler?

Nope, no cooler! But I don't normally make back to back runs like that with this car at the strip. It was only about 35 degrees outside that day though, so the fluid probably wouldn't have gotten too hot anyways.

OMG!
shocked.gif
35*...is that F or C......that's crazy.....it's 51*F with 27% humidity and a 20 knot wind and I'm freezing my butt. It ain't fun washing vehicles in this weather
thumbsdown.gif

Anyway...how much is a gallon of neutra?

Man 35°C is pretty warm...I know he meant 35° F. What are you complaining about? Yesterday's high was 31°F here, low in the lower 20's.

Today was balmy 36° F or so.

Pablo,
I had brain freeze when I posted....35*C is someting like high 90s right? Anyway, I don't know how you guys do it, anything below 60 and I don't want to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back