Found more cool old mining junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went out in the desert to do more mine exploring.

First I took my metal detector into the mine that I got the gold from. I found this piece of wood that still has the small spikes in it that held the ore car tracks down.

0328001521.jpg

Then we went to another mine and found some old Ore car tracks laying on the ground.

0328001548.jpg

Then we went underground and found more little tracks. Pretty hard to take a decient pic under ground with a cell phone and a flashlight.

0328001539a.jpg

Ck out whats holding the roof up!

0328001541.jpg

We also saw an unexploded stick of Dynamite but I/We didn't stick around that long enough to get a pic.

Pic of my jeep from on top of a hill I climbed up.

0328001532.jpg

dude.. I think I found a new hobby! When I was 13, I saw an old man with a metal detector. He had some Civil war musket balls! He also found a vintage toy USAF Jet and he gave it to me. I'll never forget that.

wow, I'm completely jealous. The only mines around here are old coal mines that for the most part have been sealed for 50+ years. You should be fine in there.....unless there in an earthquake and life is way too short to worry about that anyways.

BTW- I need some dynamite, can you grab that stick for me?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
That would be horrifying to have your lights go out. I think I would have double backups.

So is it OK to hunt around in the mines?
I carry a spare flashlight and so does my friend.

There are literly thousands of old abandoned mines, mostly Gold mines within 30 minutes of my house. As long as it's not an active claim it's not illegal to go in them. The BLM would PREFER that you do not enter them.

Here is a list of minerals and mines near me.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-3541.html

I just mapquested Apple Valley, CA and zoomed in on satelite view. Where are all the trees? did the tree huggers strangle them all to death?

Careful bud, rememeber...The Hills Have Eyes...

grin2.gif

Very cool, I love exploring and finding need things. It's been ages since I've done it though.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
unless there in an earthquake and life is way too short to worry about that anyways.

True. IMO I have a better chance of getting mugged and shot in WalMarts parking lot than I do of being killed in a mine colapse. These mines have been through many big quakes. They are very close to Both the Landers area fault and the Hector fault.

They are still standing.

So far the mines pretty much just go straight in with no holes to fall into. If I had a light issue I could get out by feeling the wall. Thats how we used to ride our bikes in the underground flood control channels.

That would be a blast - although somewhat creepy. Make sure to tell someone before you go, and where you'll be. You drive a Jeep. Keep driving up until the entrance! :)

I enjoy your mine updates, Chris - keep the pics coming! Wish I could go.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
have you found anything lately? If you find big 3lb. chunks of gold I'll come out there and help you haul it out.
Nothing great. I brought back some rocks and I'm making a thing that will smash them up so I can pan them out.

On my last trip I lost my LED Maglight. I went into a mine that was obviously unsafe so I went outside to do some metal detecting. I sat my flashlight down on the rear bumper of my Jeep then drove off. I returned to the mine 24 hrs later after I remembered where I left it and it was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back