Ford's 60K Powertrain Is Going To Cost You !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: meangreen01
As a Ford guy I object to them collaborating with GM on anything. Or Chrysler for that matter.

+1 Which appears to be a mistake in this instance.

based on what? some guys post on the internet that he saw a bunch of GM's in for repair?

Do you have any data at all to suggest the Ford 6F is prone to any major problems? I know some from the first year had some software issues and needed re-flashed, but besides that I've read very few negative reports on it.

Yet another internet legend in the making...

I have no data. I simply stated that it appears to be a mistake, seeing how Ford is being dragged into this because of GM. I feel Ford would be better off working alone, they certainly don't need any of GM's help. In fact GM could learn from Ford. My opinion, and for the record I'm no fan of GM. My 95 Caprice was the parting shot!

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another argument for manual transmissions!

Not really. A poorly designed manual transmission can also have a high failure rate.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've never seen a thread that said, "My manual transmission failed". But what you said might be possible; do you have any history, statistics or experience to point out bad manual transmission design? I'm not talking about people drag racing their cars and losing 2nd gear, but "normal" drivers.

In all fairness I will say that my brother had a 2003 V10 Dodge 2500 pickup; the transmission case cracked at 36k and was replaced under warranty.

However every manual transmission I've ever had did NOT fail, and I've had or driven many, from a '66 Rambler to a '76 Plymouth to '97 and '04 Jeep Wranglers, and an '04 dodge 1500.

(But none of my automatics have failed, either)

Last edited:
Wow. This thread makes me roll my eyes so hard I have a migraine.

1. Every manufacturer messes up transmissions now and again. Honda, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai.... noone is immune.

2. most manufacturers collaborate now and again to an extent. For example, Ford and Mazda share engine desighs. GM and ford share some transmissions. Toyota and GM shared literally the exact same car. They all do it.

3. Once again. GM. Shut. Up. Noone really wants to hear about it anymore. I mean seriously. By the way, when the Government took over GM, by that point it was out of GMs hands.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The MKZ/Fusion Sport use the Aisin 6 spd. Is this what the Lambdas use? Either way, I'm not concerned. I'll never reach near 100K in 5 years. I'm more worried about "time" interval. Mine has 6 yr warranty.

Is this tranny related to the one that was used in the 2005-2007 Ford 500.

If so Ford CLAIMED a 100k fluid change interval. NOT!

If you let it go more than 40k without changing the fluid or so the tranny will FAIL MOST LIKELY!

Also important to note that this tranny DOES NOT use Mercon but a specific Motorcraft fluid, make sure the dealer puts the RIGHT spec fluid in or THIS TOO WILL CAUSE THE UNIT TO FAIL!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: miraCRD
Originally Posted By: Letter_K
I had a Ford once...

Me too...a 2004 Expedition. Transmission went at 27K when the truck was 18 months old, stranding my family and I on vacation 400 miles from home.

The truck had been bought new. Yes, it was obviously covered by warranty, but this was beyond inexcusable in my book. No more Fords for me. Ever.

Well my Chevy had the tranny fail with 8K on the car. So what. Things happen that way. Toyotas may fail when nearly new. It happens. A friend had a MB diesel engine fail with 40K on it. Oil pump failed. It happens.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Long story short.

8 Acadias/Traverse/Enclaves down at the local GM dealer at one time, all with the same problem. Plates in tranny cracked/broken filling trans with metal. Complete rebuild. No $$$ out of owner's pockets, all covered under GM's 100k powertrain warranty.

What's that got to do with Ford, you ask?

GM and Ford designed this transaxle together. It's also in the Ford Flex, and Lincoln MKZ, I believe. But Ford only warranties the tranny to 60k. Wait until they start failing (and they will, if they haven't already).

Then wait until the owner's find that GM is covering the same tranny failure that they are paying for.

And before you post it, Ford doesn't know the meaning of "Goodwill". Bro. in' law's F150 tranny failed at 3000 miles out of powertrain/less than 3 years old. Ford would not kick in one dime.

I really don't see the purpose of this thread.

Drive a manual. Then no need for 30k ATF flushes, failing electronics, or any other automatic bugaboos. Except the clutch replacement every 100-130k miles.

How about a lock for this topic?

IMO, Ford is the best automobile company right now. I wouldn't have said that when they made the 2000 Focus.....

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another argument for manual transmissions!

Not really. A poorly designed manual transmission can also have a high failure rate.

Indeed, a [censored]-poor manual transmission or one that is wholly unsuited to the application may only be as reliable as the average slushbox.

The only trouble with manual transmissions is they're not fool proof.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Sciphi, I agree with you regarding the manual trans. I owned two manual trans Saturns, both around 200K neither needed a new clutch.

Me also I have had two manual transmissions 84 Rabbit GTI and 96 Golf GL, and NEITHER has needed anything transmission related, except the rabbit needed a new clutch at 270k miles!!!!!

The new valves are pressure balanced anti scald or thermostatic temperature control. Actually, preventing too hot is useful. If someone flushes the toilet while you are in the shower, the valve automatically reduces the hot water flow to the shower when the cold water flow is reduced from toilet flush. You do not get scalded although you might get very low flow from the showerhead for several seconds with some types. Without anti scald, if you are elderly and someone in another bathroom flushes, you might have trouble moving away from the shower water as it gets very hot and get burned.

Originally Posted By: pbm
IMO, Ford is the best automobile company right now. I wouldn't have said that when they made the 2000 Focus.....

I admit, the 2000 Focus was a mistake. They tried to re-engineer if for the US and US requirements and manufacturing methods and they messed it up. The car had 10 recalls. The new Focus is from a clean sheet of paper, for the US, and is a much superior vehicle to the 2000, and better than the 2011.

However, Ford is nothing like the company it was in 2000. I can give examples.

The trans they engineered with GM does have engineering differences. These would be for things like reliability, cost savings, and durability philosphical differences between the two companies.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back