Ford's 60K Powertrain Is Going To Cost You !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short.

8 Acadias/Traverse/Enclaves down at the local GM dealer at one time, all with the same problem. Plates in tranny cracked/broken filling trans with metal. Complete rebuild. No $$$ out of owner's pockets, all covered under GM's 100k powertrain warranty.

What's that got to do with Ford, you ask?

GM and Ford designed this transaxle together. It's also in the Ford Flex, and Lincoln MKZ, I believe. But Ford only warranties the tranny to 60k. Wait until they start failing (and they will, if they haven't already).

Then wait until the owner's find that GM is covering the same tranny failure that they are paying for.

And before you post it, Ford doesn't know the meaning of "Goodwill". Bro. in' law's F150 tranny failed at 3000 miles out of powertrain/less than 3 years old. Ford would not kick in one dime.

35.gif

Ford's answer to flimsy taurus trannies was to cut most of the engine power mid shifts. Wonder if they have or will come out with a PCM recalibration to slow their cars down...

What's up with Ford/GM just when they start putting out a nice car like the Fusion and Cruze the quality slips in another model.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
At what mileage are these transmissions failing?

+1

So far I've only seen a few at the dealerships...a few Buicks, oddly.

I wonder how many of those people ever got the trans fluid changed. it never occurs to most people that the trans needs servicing, then at 80K they need a rebuild.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another argument for manual transmissions!

+1

Of course people are too lasy/dumb/incapable to use them, and as we dumb down society, it only gets worse.

Wait 'til the Ford owners realize they are paying to fix their own transmissions and the GM owners transmissions ( through their hard tax payments to Govt Motors).

What year and models are these transmissions in? What model transmission is it?

I didn't know GM and Ford ever worked on anything together. Maybe they should have consulted Honda for transmission advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Another argument for manual transmissions!

+1

Of course people are too lasy/dumb/incapable to use them, and as we dumb down society, it only gets worse.

You got that right!

With all the automatic systems in cars now - like parallel parking, active cruise control (which brakes if you get too close) and others, 1 of 2 things will happen:

Either people will be come complacent and unable to drive worth anything (already in progress)

and/or

Cars will be able to drive themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
I wonder how many of those people ever got the trans fluid changed. it never occurs to most people that the trans needs servicing, then at 80K they need a rebuild.

Most of these are running Mercon V or Dexron VI which is synthetic. I'm guessing the owners manual probably says change out is probably 50-100k. Even regular Dex/Merc often last a long time in transmissions even though it should be changed out sooner. The oldest Enclave can't be older than a 2008 or 2007.

I had a Ford once...A 2000 Ford Focus. A nice car when it worked, but everything that could go wrong, went wrong except for the engine and transmission. Ford is one the the major manufacturers that doesn't participate in the problem resolution management groups.

They said no to cutting me a break on repairs and I will now say no to buying a Ford again. When I bought the car they sent me a watch in the mail. I asked the customer rep why they didn't send me a calendar instead - that way I could track all my service appointments.

According to this WardsAuto article , even though GM and Ford worked together developing the trans, each company has separate factories building it. Plus, the transaxles are not identical:

"There are other differences in the respective transmission designs because each auto maker obviously couples the transmission to its own engines."

I guess it's possible the Ford version may not have the defect.

You mention the plates are cracking. I don't see how fluid maintenance can help avoid this.

It'd be interesting to see if the plates failed by high cycle fatigue or impact failure. If it's impact, then there may be some abuse by the owner that the transmission won't tolerate.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

That says a lot. I will stay with the 5R55E 5 spd auto. in my Sport Trac which at 169K shifts every bit as good as the day I bought it (new). Same with Chrysler's venerable 4 spd auto in the Liberty. But, the fluid in the Liberty was changed at 50K and I have changed the fluid in the 5R55E every 30K. It makes a difference. And for fuel mileage, the Liberty got 23.9 mpg on a run between Ironwood,MI and St Ignace, MI and this is with the 3.7L V6, not the diesel they used for a few years.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
You mention the plates are cracking. I don't see how fluid maintenance can help avoid this.

It'd be interesting to see if the plates failed by high cycle fatigue or impact failure. If it's impact, then there may be some abuse by the owner that the transmission won't tolerate.

I agree.

Besides, most of these vehicles are to new to have worn fluid.

I have a '09 Traverse, with about 12k miles. If that trans goes, I hope it goes before the warranty expires. I'd hate to guess how much a new trans would cost.
mad.gif

'With the government backing GM can afford the 100K powertrain warranty.'

looks like someone missed the IPO......GM hasn't had govmt backing for like two months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back