ford taurus transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do symptoms change of you move the gearshift lever to another position without shutting down engine? Symptoms cold or hot? Any transmission codes present?

AX4N or AX4S?

first this is my buddy's car, no change when the shifter is moved, this happens when the car has been driven and under a hard pull, like the many hills here in southern wva, it's the ax4n tranny, he's going to try and have the code read in the morning, the cel is on. thanks for any info.

Its common and normal for that trans. Good luck. Usually, the electronic gremlins will kill the transmission. There are a number of TSBs and aftermarket upgrades for that transmission.

You might check into the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS).
They are known to fail.....
The TRS sits on top of the transmission, the cable from the gear selector goes to it.
The TRS tells the PCM what gear you have selected, and the PCM then controls the transmission based upon that, and other factors, like how fast you are going Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and Turbine (or Transmission) Speed Sensor (TSS).
The TRS is also called "Neutral Safety Switch", and can be bought for someplace around $50 or so.

If the CEL is on......many auto part stores will read the codes for FREE, make sure to get the actual numeric code and not just the description that they tell you.

Quote:

first this is my buddy's car, no change when the shifter is moved, this happens when the car has been driven and under a hard pull, like the many hills here in southern wva, it's the ax4n tranny, he's going to try and have the code read in the morning, the cel is on. thanks for any info.

An AX4N - give your buddy my condolences. They are prone to sudden internal failures that leave big holes in the owner's pockets. It happened to my well maintained 1995 Taurus at 80K miles. I would trade it in ASAP and never look back.

Start by checking for 'engine codes', which include the powertrain. The dealer charges something like $100 or more to do that, while Schucks and other places sometimes do it for free.

Quote:

An AX4N - give your buddy my condolences. They are prone to sudden internal failures that leave big holes in the owner's pockets. It happened to my well maintained 1995 Taurus at 80K miles. I would trade it in ASAP and never look back.

True, but then there are tons of them on the road that go forever without issue. Usually if it's a transmission range sensor issue, you will be able to shift the trans manually. Also, a bad TRS typically makes the "PRND321" lights on the dash go whacky and flash/change at random.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back