Ford Removing Features from New Cars

There’s quite a few videos of a Jeep concept brought to Easter Jeep Safari that is a bare bones Jeep that has no top or doors, and is very simplistic. Everyone is going nuts over it and hopeful it hits the market. I wonder if they want to go after the side by side market (now very expensive) and are also listening to people like us who want a no frills, affordable vehicle?

Well it's only the parking assist. Ford's parking assist in my sister's fusion is the only one I've ever tried and it's trippy using it. It parallel parks really well surprisingly.

I once owned a new 1986 1st year Taurus. The same GL model in 1987 had lots of things missing or cheapened. Rear anti roll bar was gone. The cloth seats were a cheaper fabric. Among other things that have escaped my memory from almost 40 years ago.

Car companies add features to pump up their profit in both margin and realized profit. And we keep buying them.
The last new pickup I bought was a '93 Toyota 4wd 22RE with just a little better interior than the plastic seat strippie. Loved that truck!
I am not holding my breath for a strippie pickup.
Supposedly the Dodge Rampage is greenlit for the usa as it was caught testing in numerous locations. Who knows how much it will cost on the low end.

Shame on them. If not for Federally mandated safety features we wouldn't have energy absorbing bumpers, collapsible steering columns, air bags, softer dash boards, safety glass, crumple zones, ABS, and back up cameras and as you mentioned-TPMS.

Yeah-we would be driving death boxes-when in realty vehicles are safer than they ever have been.

Of course-the drivers on this FORUM are so skilled (despite average age on here) many are not needed in their humble opinion.
TPMS isn't really a safety precaution. It just makes the public lazier than if they kept up with checking the air pressure in their tires. This is a FAR cry from your over exaggerated statement about air bags, crumple zones which are completely different. Don't muddle the waters with odd interjections that don't actually have any effect on Safety.

TPMS isn't really a safety precaution. It just makes the public lazier than if they kept up with checking the air pressure in their tires. This is a FAR cry from your over exaggerated statement about air bags, crumple zones which are completely different. Don't muddle the waters with odd interjections that don't actually have any effect on Safety.

I can count at least three times where the TPMS came on that was a puncture in my tire and saved me from buying a new tire. Your point is silly.
Not to mention the tire going flat at highway speeds and possible lost of control. Yea-I know you are a superior driver and it wouldn't happen.

I wonder how we survived without all the nanny features on the new cars. Those that like them, that is fine. I imagine that they are the ones that(like the movie Christmas Story) they bundle up in in sweaters, jackets then put the snow suit on so they can't move--you have to see the movie) so they don"t get cold. Kind of like one guy on here always busts on people for having older cars or buying older used, yet that person buys a CPO--doesn't the PO mean previously owned, used? Its still used but comes with a warranty--guess if you don't want to get you hands dirty the warranty helps.( I have a neighbor like that-always buys a CPO BMW every 2 yrs and tells everyone its new) ,SO that is ok but busts on everyone else for their picks/choices.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those who espouse the virtues of simplicity would really be willing to go back to something with the features of a mid eighties car, especially at 2024 prices.
It's not just the extra features driving retail pricing, it's also that every part and material now costs more as does labor to make those parts and materials and then fabricate and assemble them into a completed vehicle, which must also comply with an array of federal safety and emissions standards not in effect in the mid eighties.
We owned simple machines back in the day, including a couple of 1986 Civic Wagons, an '81 Vanagon and a pari of W123s. Wind up windows on all and no real tech of any sort.
We liked them all at the time but I'm not sure I'd want one as a daily driver today.

Reactions: CKN
The difference in quality of nearly everything between my 2000 and 2004 GM pickups was quite apparent. GM already knew that they were spiraling towards their 2009 bankruptcy... so they started cheapening everything that they could, while keeping the price up.

The 2004 was "missing" components that the 2000 had.... save $10 here... save $20 there. Radiator petcock, transmission drain plug, cabin air filter, fuel filter... All things that they had quietly removed for no other reason than to save $$$.
True. My 2008 had no rad drain plug but still had the undrilled plastic boss. You get to have a hot shower when you pull the lower rad hose off. Same goes for my son’s 2010 Silverado.

I wonder how many of those who espouse the virtues of simplicity would really be willing to go back to something with the features of a mid eighties car, especially at 2024 prices.
It's not just the extra features driving retail pricing, it's also that every part and material now costs more as does labor to make those parts and materials and then fabricate and assemble them into a completed vehicle, which must also comply with an array of federal safety and emissions standards not in effect in the mid eighties.
We owned simple machines back in the day, including a couple of 1986 Civic Wagons, an '81 Vanagon and a pari of W123s. Wind up windows on all and no real tech of any sort.
We liked them all at the time but I'm not sure I'd want one as a daily driver today.
You couldn't carry on a conversation with some one sitting in the rear of a Vanogon. The noise was loud. 80's Hondas-were penalty boxes compared to Honda of today.
I would agree with your points.

Shame on them. If not for Federally mandated safety features we wouldn't have energy absorbing bumpers, collapsible steering columns, air bags, softer dash boards, safety glass, crumple zones, ABS, and back up cameras and as you mentioned-TPMS.

Yeah-we would be driving death boxes-when in realty vehicles are safer than they ever have been.

Of course-the drivers on this FORUM are so skilled (despite average age on here) many are not needed in their humble opinion.

You think big govt in the former Union of yada yada yada States “ mandated and made “ better or safer “ cars ? ?

Hahahaha…

Or built “ better and safer “ nuclear reactors and facilities ? ?

Ahh yeah… That very large State run nation built terribly unsafe reactors and pretty ZERO containment for them IF they had any trouble…

Chernobyl .

They didn’t…

The leaders of this country don’t know the first thing about cars, trucks etc etc etc….

They don’t.

Last edited:
You think big govt in the former Union of yada yada yada States “ mandated and made “ better or safer “ cars ? ?

Hahahaha…

Or built “ better and safer “ nuclear reactors and facilities ? ?

Ahh yeah… That very large State run nation built terribly unsafe reactors and pretty ZERO containment for them IF they had any trouble…

Chernobyl ring a bell ?

They didn’t…

You believe that former Union of yada yada States made better military equipment than ours ?

They didn’t do that EITHER…

Because of this NATION’S private sector abilities were able to be truly unleashed we got way, way, way ahead of them.

Therefore leading to their state mandated made garbage military aircraft and tanks got blown to bits in a little area the size of New Jersey a number of times…
They certainly mandated safer cars. The rest isn't pertinent to the conversation. I get it-you don't like the government.

They certainly mandated safer cars. The rest isn't pertinent to the conversation. I get it-you don't like the government.

It is most definitely pertinent..

You want to say only massive state can do anything positive…

That’s not true…

Those individuals over in that massive State run economy made…

GARBAGE….

And they did it even with nuclear development…

So please spare me the idea that big State is the only way to get something positive done.

Those safety innovations were already being developed by private companies here….

I remember the darn commercials for anti lock brakes … BEFORE the state “ mandated “ them.

That braking system was a upgrade option…

Heck I had anti lock brakes in a 1989 Ford Probe…

But that type of braking system was around for a number of years before that.

Last edited:
I met my local House Rep and he was a complete scuzz ball… He was swarmy and phony… And yes he was a ( R) …
I never have voted for that fake phony individual..

So yeah … I don’t trust people all too much.

Now I met two other state Senators that night and. House of Delegates representative. From both sides of the aisle. I would have voted for them any day of the week.

Last edited:
TPMS saved me from getting on the highway and doing 70mph with 17psi and a big ol’ self tapper lodged into my tire.

Back