Ford Ranger weird sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Ranger Edge, 3.0L (vulcan), 5spd, 80k mi.

My truck is making a weird sound that I cannot figure out. I have taken the serpentine belt off and it still makes the sound. I have also replaced the camshaft synchronizer since that is common on these motors for the chirping sound.

Here is a video of it making the sound. It is louder underneath the truck. It's not that loud inside the engine bay.

When I start it up, it will not be making the sound, but as soon as I hit 1500rpm the sound starts and will not stop no matter what the rpm is. It does get louder as the engine revs up also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_DOsBEUcY

any ideas?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Does it sound like it's coming from the engine or the transmission?

it sounds like it's from the back of the motor.

Originally Posted By: Scorch
Sounds exactly like when the waterpump bearing was going on my ex's 1998 taurus with the vulcan 3.0.

waterpump is driven off the serpentine belt. taking the belt off and starting did not make the sound go away.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
If you clutch it in does it stop?

+1. Try pressing on the clutch pedal. If it goes away your throwout bearing wants to be replaced.

If you clutch it in does it stop?

nope. nothing makes it going away besides turning the engine off.

Throwout bearing was replaced 2 months ago.

Can you isolate which area it is the loudest at?
My next shot in the dark would be a stuck starter solenoid that is not pulling the gear back in.

Kind of sounds like the tin shield "flywheel inspection cover" is rubbing. It may be worth removing that cover and, well, inspecting.

2 months from major work, and now there is noise.
I'd concentrate on the trans/clutch area to start.
Might even be a very odd starter/shim.alignment problem.

Can you isolate which area it is the loudest at?
My next shot in the dark would be a stuck starter solenoid that is not pulling the gear back in.

it loudest if i'm underneath the truck around the oil pan and bell housing. It faint sounding from up in the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
2 months from major work, and now there is noise.
I'd concentrate on the trans/clutch area to start.
Might even be a very odd starter/shim.alignment problem.

When I did the slave cylinder all I replaced was that and the needle bearing. I didn't touch the clutch or flywheel. That was done in the beginning of june and I've almost put 5000 miles on it since then. I've taken 4 out of state trips since the work was done.

Transmission is the Mazada m50d-r1 with is known for bad throwout bearings/slave cylinders.

I'm going to pull the inspection cover and starter off tonight and check everything out.

The video sounds very much like a throwout bearing, and a little like the cam synchro. Those would be my first guesses without seeing the truck in person, especially if the noise is coming from the back of the engine.

I would not eliminate a part as a possible source just because it was replaced recently. You could have gotten a defective part right out of the box and it just wasn't immediately apparent.

What brand was the cam synchro? Dorman ones are known to fail very early. Motorcraft or A1 Cardone are the ones you want to use (A1 sells reman Motorcrafts).

If the throwout bearing was an AutoZone or Advance no-brand part I would be highly suspicious of it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The video sounds very much like a throwout bearing, and a little like the cam synchro. Those would be my first guesses without seeing the truck in person, especially if the noise is coming from the back of the engine.

I would not eliminate a part as a possible source just because it was replaced recently. You could have gotten a defective part right out of the box and it just wasn't immediately apparent.

What brand was the cam synchro? Dorman ones are known to fail very early. Motorcraft or A1 Cardone are the ones you want to use (A1 sells reman Motorcrafts).

If the throwout bearing was an AutoZone or Advance no-brand part I would be highly suspicious of it.

It's a brand new dorman synchro that I put in 2 days ago and took out last night and put the original one back in. I though it was the cam synchro also at first after I eliminated the pulleys.

it's definitely not the throwout bearing. I know that sound. it's like popcorn. Pushing the clutch in and out has no effect on the sound.

I just used a stethoscope on virtually every part of the truck and came up with nothing. when your under the the truck it sounds like it coming from everywhere pretty hard to pinpoint it. it's driving me insane. I just sold my car that I had, and this is my only transportation right now. this really blows. The truck runs awesome though. engine sounds healthy, trans shifts just fine, idles smooth.

Have you gotten a chance to pull the inspection cover yet?

Yep. Nothing new to report except it does seem to becoming from the right side of the motor. I checked the starter also and even banged on it while the motor was running to see if made a grinding sound and nothing. In the morning I'm going to do some more poking around with the stethoscope to see if I can try to pinpoint it.

I hope this doesn't end up being the first time I have to take my vehicle to a shop to be worked on. always done everything my self. I feel though if it's not fixed soon, it will live up the the name of Ford. Found on Roadside Dead.

My Zx2 made an IDENTICAL sound ans absolutely nothing would help it except removing the oil cap.. New PCV valve..so that wasn't it. It turned out to be the breather filter assembly. it was pushing air out under pressure
Dusty

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
My Zx2 made an IDENTICAL sound ans absolutely nothing would help it except removing the oil cap.. New PCV valve..so that wasn't it. It turned out to be the breather filter assembly. it was pushing air out under pressure
Dusty

sounds really close to my grandma's vulcan 3.0 taurus that had a bad cam synchro
here is a youtube video of it (not me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOJXnYIZQk

its not identical but similar

I'd possibly start there are its common for these to go bad.
I should mention her's was REALLY loud and bad at 85k miles ..mostly highway.

It should change the noise slightly if you rev the engine abit like in the video. if it doesnt.. I dont know.. back to square one maybe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back