Ford Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Focus is one of the hot hatchbacks, 2.0l turbocharged. What oil to use? I think the factory recommendaton is 5W20 like most of the other Ford stuff. I used Mobil 1 10W30 in the Crown Vic and it did O.K., 170K so far. Recommendations? I live in South Texas where temps are routinely north of 100.

It needs API SN 5w30 meeting WSS-M2C946-A.

Mobil 1 5w30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 both come to mind, though I'm sure there are others.

Any high quality 5W30 syn will be fine. PP/PU M1 Synpower or Edge will do you right. Co worker has one with ~50k miles running M1 at 7500 OCI and not a drop used and no issues. Not a M1 guy myself but it's doing his car fine.

For reference, M1 5w30 also carries HTO-06, which is Honda's high-performance spec for turbo'd motors. Clearly it is built to withstand the high-stresses of a turbo.

Originally Posted By: swjohnsey
Thanks guys!. Looks like Mobil 1 5W30.

Good call! I've used M1 5W-30 for over 130k in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3; UOAs show that a 7,500k OCI is actually a bit conservative.

Originally Posted By: dparm
For reference, M1 5w30 also carries HTO-06, which is Honda's high-performance spec for turbo'd motors. Clearly it is built to withstand the high-stresses of a turbo.

Do their High Mileage and EP versions also carry the HTO-06, or just the plain old 5W-30?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Do their High Mileage and EP versions also carry the HTO-06, or just the plain old 5W-30?
21.gif

Yes, EP carries HTO-06

HM doesn't really carry any certifications except ACEA A5/B5 (which is still a tough spec) and API SL, because it's a HM oil with too much ZDDP for 20/30-wt oils. (Note that M1 HM 10w40 is SN because heavier oils are allowed to have more ZDDP)

However, M1 HM should probably work just fine if you're out-of-warranty. And of course, HM oils are especially designed for older cars that are usually out-of-warranty.

Ford Focus is one of the hot hatchbacks, 2.0l turbocharged. What oil to use? I think the factory recommendaton is 5W20 like most of the other Ford stuff. I used Mobil 1 10W30 in the Crown Vic and it did O.K., 170K so far. Recommendations? I live in South Texas where temps are routinely north of 100.

What engine does this have? My mate has a Focus ST 2009 and it has a Volvo 2.5L 5 cly turbo.

Originally Posted By: supercity

What engine does this have? My mate has a Focus ST 2009 and it has a Volvo 2.5L 5 cly turbo.

The US Focus ST has a 252hp EcoBoost turbo 2.0L 4cyl.

HTO-06 is effectively obsolete, Honda no longer makes the K23 turbo engine, and it was always a low-production engine. HTO-06 is extremely similar to TEOST 33C which was re-introduced to the ILSAC sequence with GF-5, so there's little reason for manufacturers to claim HTO-06. For instance, P66 doesn't claim HTO-06 on Kendall GT-1 Syn, even though they make Honda's oil.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
HTO-06 is effectively obsolete, Honda no longer makes the K23 turbo engine, and it was always a low-production engine. HTO-06 is extremely similar to TEOST 33C which was re-introduced to the ILSAC sequence with GF-5, so there's little reason for manufacturers to claim HTO-06. For instance, P66 doesn't claim HTO-06 on Kendall GT-1 Syn, even though they make Honda's oil.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back