Ford Eco-boost vs silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might also want to check out this site for the dealer invoice cost of the trucks you are considering. https://www.carcostcanada.com/en/

I ended up getting my truck at invoice plus a $350 "dealer fee". There was a couple extra taxes such as tires and a/c on top of that as well.

Although I never checked it out myself, apparently you can order new trucks of any brand cheaper through Driving Force then at the dealer. I know a guy who bought a new truck this way out in Alberta. I'm not sure if the shop on Idylwyld does this or not, but it might be worthwhile option to check out.

Since you are buying four trucks,you should at the very least get them at dealer invoice, in addition to any rebates they are offering. The dealer is still making money at that price, since they get a "hold back" on ever truck they sell. In addition, some suspect that the true invoice cost is lower then the numbers they give to websites like the one I listed above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Hey guys.

We are company truck shopping. Chev says their 5.3 engines will exceed 30mpg and tow over 8000 pounds.
Ford says 8500 pounds with the Eco-boost and 30+ mpg unloaded.
I've had great experiences with the 5.3 engine even though I know these new ones are totally different animals than what I've already got.
Chev is offering a way longer warranty and 0 down,0% financing which is almost a no brainer.
We are buying 4 trucks which has the dealers very interested in playing ball here.
I'd rather have the Eco-boost however if the chev really does beat it in real world mileage then chev it is.
What is everyone getting in their trucks as far as mileage and overall experience.

Thanks

All of them are great trucks. Car and Driver just finished up a long term test of the Ram 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed ZF slushbox, and it was virtually flawless. One of the BEST long term vehicles they have ever tested.

GM's 100k mile warranty is a great plus, has roadside assistance and 4 free servicings as well. Dealers around here are really discounting them, they are a great long term investment with high resale.

IMO the Egobooster is a great motor but we have now had 3 in our extended family and NONE got more than 17-18 city mpg. I love the way they go, I just hate that V6 sound. I'll be looking HARD at the new all aluminum Fords when they get here...

I would normally say Chevy, but if the US/Canadian parts content is important to you, the new 2014 Chevy has only 40% and the Ford 75%. Dodge is 67%. All 3 are good trucks IMO.

Doubt a turbo engine and aluminium frame truck is gonna last 300k plus mile like some of the old tech does now. And at 35K to 50k for a new tech truck thats not much value.

We've had all three in our fleet at work so I'll give you my impressions there. None of them are super new (2004-2009 models), so I can't give you feedback on the new powertrains, but I can give you feedback on how our trucks have held up.

I like the Chevy and the Dodge equally well. I like them both; both feel very tight and the powertrain is smooth. The Chevy is a short cab, short bed, 4x4 with the older 5.3L; a 2009 model. The Dodge is a 4-door, long bed, 4x4 with the 4.7L; a 2008 model. Again, I know the engines aren't the same as they are today, but these two have held up the best. They are in a government motor pool fleet, so they don't get treated well.

The Ford has been very unimpressive. It's a 2004, but was loose and rattly when new. The 5.4L V-8 is loud and has had the cam phaser noise since new, so it's very annoying to drive. The bed is very jittery over bumps. It just feels very poorly made. Trim pieces have fallen off and, of course, all of the blue Ford logos on the outside have lost their color as they all seem to do. If a newer F-150 will age like our '04, I'd give it a big PASS.

The Chevrolet will likely be the most durable over the long haul. Older F-150s seem to have stood the test of time...you sometimes see older '80s trucks and they age well. I can't see a beat 300k mile F-150 with two turbos still running well. Maybe they'll age fine, I don't know. But if it's my money, my gamble goes on either Dodge or Chevrolet in this case (or Toyota, if they want to play numbers with you). If it's a personal truck that might get traded in 5-10 years on something else, then maybe a twin-turbo model. But otherwise...eh...I think I'd go with the 8 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Doubt a turbo engine and aluminium frame truck is gonna last 300k plus mile like some of the old tech does now. And at 35K to 50k for a new tech truck thats not much value.

I'm not sure how well aluminum frames will fare, but getting 300,000 miles out of a turbocharged gasoline engine is possible if the engine is built right. SAAB and Volvo found a way to do this.

AT the same time, having an NA V8 doesn't always mean 300,000 trouble free miles. Some versions of the MDS 5.3 have been reported to have premature failures.

Aluminum frame? The new Ford will have an aluminum body. The frame is still steel.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Aluminum frame? The new Ford will have an aluminum body. The frame is still steel.

Yes it is, and likely high strength alloy as well. All you can knock an aluminum body panel on is maybe expense to repair. Otherwise, the idea of a truck shedding HUGE weight without any compromises is an amazing feat.

I remember when GM started forging its lower control arms out of aluminum on their heavy duty chassis'. All my techs went nuts thinking they were junk, but they are actually much stronger than the steel parts they replaced!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
All you can knock an aluminum body panel on is maybe expense to repair. Otherwise, the idea of a truck shedding HUGE weight without any compromises is an amazing feat.

I agree. It's innovative and definitely a game changer in the MPG wars.
I love my '12, but will definitely be looking at the '15's when they come out.

The Raptor has been on my list of wants too....

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Clevy
And thanks guys for all your feedback. I'm open to options.

I recommend not skipping out on the 5.0L Ford. You can get a STX model that will pull whatever you're old rigs did and then some. I consistently tow my off road Jeep/trailer, camper, and ATV's and it handles them all very well. I can get in the 20's on the highway if I set the cruise.

I recently had a chance to drive a new 5.3L Chevy and frankly, I'm not impressed. I would choose a Dodge Tradesman Hemi before the Chevy hands down.
Originally Posted By: cak446
I'm surprised that the Ram trucks are not priced competitively. They are currently offering $8500 off MSRP, plus another $1500 if you can prove you already own a truck (any brand). Auto Clearing in Saskatoon was willing to knock another four grand off that for a total of $14000 off MSRP on a moderately equipped Ram Sport 1500. I ended up getting an even better deal from a small town dealer, and currently have a 2014 Ram Sport 1500 on order.

When shopping for trucks I felt the Ram was a much nicer truck then the Ford. The cab felt more solid and the interior looked much more upscale. I honestly didn't even drive the gm trucks as I just couldn't get past the looks of them. However looks really isn't a factor in buying a company truck.

Since I haven't actually received my truck yet I have no empirical data to add to this thread. But I'd suggest to take another look at the Ram as I feel it is the best of the three pickups, and I'd be surprised if you cannot get a price on them that is comparable to the Ford and Chev.

Every dealer is offering 8500 off and another 1500 if you already own a truck. Dodge came in at 35k per truck,with a mds hemi,7500 pounds towing,however they want almost 6% interest whereas chev is in at 32k with 0% financing and 0 down. So free money basically.
Ford is at 37k for an Eco-boost SLT(I think) and they are at 2% and 5000 down per truck.
And chev will upgrade to the true north package for free.

Dodges financing rates are what's killing them and they won't budge,so if we were to go with dodge we'd have to finance elsewhere to get a decent rate

Since all are pretty similar I'd go with the Chev, simply the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: supton

+1

Well chev has the lowest out the door cost and the best financing terms thus far however we've got the money in the bank to buy all 4 outright so truth be told I don't want to make a decision just based on the money and the availability of credit,I want to buy based in long term ownership,since they are basically each partners truck and I'm looking at the long haul.
Chev's warranty is nice too and I've had good luck with chev over the years so I am satisfied that the longevity will be there,but those Eco-boost fords just call to me in my dreams.
Ford does cost a bit more but they are offering more truck and options as well. Chev will build us our order whereas ford was looking at available stock,so the chev's are a bit less optioned.
How's that my ford touch/sync holding up. I read about there being issues with the system.
Chevy builds a great truck too though,and if dodge lowered that interest rate is need a 3 sided coin because they are so close.
And someone just HAD to post how happy they are with their 5.0 truck. As if I need that number floating around in my head as an option now too.
I like the boost,but I also appreciate what it costs if a problem comes up

I'll throw another plug in for the 5.0 if it may be considered. This engine option may knock a bit off of the 5k difference as well. Granted I have only have 3.31 gears, and that nets me 18-18.5 mixed driving repeatedly. I never feel lacking in power, although my truck is rated for 8500 pounds the most I have pulled is 5,000 with no issue or regrets. I have 44k on my truck now and have had no issues with the drivetrain thus far.

I will agree with others though, for as close as the tricks are is just go with the cheapest. Good luck!

GM has really stepped up the rebates since I was looking for trucks a couple months ago. I can get money through my home line of credit at 2.59%, so the poor financing Dodge was offering really wasn't a factor.

Since all three trucks are relatively close in cost, I think you should just make this easy on yourself and buy four different trucks. It will be a great comparison test, and will provide years of insightful data for you and us here on bobistheoilguy!

If you stand firm with the dealers, I'm sure you can get a single truck for the same price they were offering if you were buying four. A sale is a sale, and the dealers wont want to loose you as a buyer.

So with that being said, here's the four trucks I'd be most interested in seeing compared in daily construction use in my home town!

Ram 1500 Hemi with the 8 speed
Ford F-150 Ecoboost
Chev/GMC 1500 5.3L

For your fourth truck I think it would be interesting to try out the V6 offerings from GM or Ram. The V6's now put out as much power as the V8's from not to long ago. When combined with transmissions that have more gears, with a much larger overall gear spread, it just might make a V6 truck a viable option!

Originally Posted By: whip

+1

+2. The GM's are likely the cheapest to buy and run. No turbo plumbing to get in the way, and a few less failure points on what will be work vehicles that will inevitably get a bit ragged on.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: whip

+1

+2. The GM's are likely the cheapest to buy and run. No turbo plumbing to get in the way, and a few less failure points on what will be work vehicles that will inevitably get a bit ragged on.

This has been our experience here. Simpler is generally better in the long haul. The GM warranty is huge if you keep the truck long term, especially in fleet usage. It even has roadside assistance for 100k miles. Then you must remember they sell almost instantly as used vehicles, great residual value, even though I am sure Clevy will depreciate their entire cost so they are basically free!

But I would note that Car and Driver just finished a long term test on a RAM with the Pstar/8 speed and said it may have been their BEST long term vehicle ever!

If all else is so close then cheaper wins IMO...

I have a 2011 Ecoboost supercrew and a 2009 4x4 with 5.4L engine.

I've got to admit that I really love the Ecoboost. It's a 14 second 1/4 mile truck, right out of the box. It's a blast to drive. I get 19MPG (US) with my driving style, getting on it when necessary, cruise responsibly at all other times.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a 2011 Ecoboost supercrew and a 2009 4x4 with 5.4L engine.

I've got to admit that I really love the Ecoboost. It's a 14 second 1/4 mile truck, right out of the box. It's a blast to drive. I get 19MPG (US) with my driving style, getting on it when necessary, cruise responsibly at all other times.

PRECISELY why the new aluminum bodied version will be on our short list for my Wife this year or early next. I am certain with a weight loss of several hundred pounds the Ford will be dynamically interesting, and an aftermarket tune really wakes up the EGO Booster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back