Ford Eco-boost vs silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
You have a Chevy with 450,000 kilometers on it, yet you have to ask this question?

Really?

I've got fords with close to that too. Work vans.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
I don't care about fuel consumption pulling a load. I want to know real world,unloaded on the highway.
Care to explain this?

The trucks will only pull the trailers to and from the different job sites,so fuel consumption with a trailer on isn't a big deal since towing will be a weekly or bi-monthly thing.
However they will net a lot of miles driving to and from different sites,empty,since we now are into a new enterprise as construction managers.
So driving all over the city will be a daily occurrence.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
If you think you're gonna get anywhere near 30mpg with either of these trucks, you're on drugs.

Read the thread. We are already past that. Apparently 24 highway is as good as its getting.

Have you got any info to offer,since I started this thread for actual real world info,not what the oem advertises.
If you've got no actual experience to add, and be helpful then I'm sure there's a which oil is best thread you can help in.

If you are keeping them past warranty, buy the chev, otherwise the ford is an option. What about buying 2 of each? Dealers may not like that (lower discounts) , but sounds like you have a great opportunity for a real world test here - fuel economy, maint., and reliability.

I work with both Ford and GM. It is well known throughout the industry that even with the Al body and 750 lb weight reduction that the Chevy's fuel economy beat the Ford's. You have to drive the Ecoboost very gingerly to get good mileage. As a company truck most likely the drivers will be slightly heavy footed. It is really personal preference as to which truck as they both work great but the Chevy is better on fuel.

I have a 2011 F150 with the Ecoboost engine in Regina. I've had it since I purchased it new in May, 2011. It's a crew cab 4-wheel drive with a 3.55 rear-axle.

The best I've ever done was a summer trip to Candle Lake and back (950kms) hauling air - 11.8 litres/100 kilometres. Typically, I do between 12.5-13.5 litres/100 kilometres on the highway with my wife, two girls and all their "stuff" in the box. That's driving 120kms/hr (sorry, I don't know what that equates to in mpg). I typically do a bit better than my brother-in-law- who has my truck, but a 2010 with the 5.4.

In the winter, driving mostly city is between 16-17 litres/100 kilometres.

I don't use my truck for business, but the power (torque) is intoxicating and its all available below 2,500 rpm. My dad has towed a 22 foot enclosed trailer back from the U.S. full of building supplies and he said it tows like a dream. I don't mean to start anything here, but my truck is way "tighter" than how I remember my old 2004 Chev Silverado (which I only kept for 20,000kms from new).....fewer squeaks and rattles and just overall a better truck.

If you're buying an Ecoboost for great mileage, you'll be disappointed. In my opinion, it's the best overall truck out there.

I've got a friend with a 2012 Ecoboost, and spk2000 is right. It gets pretty [censored] good mileage (better than my Jeep) if you drive it reasonably, and if you're gentle with it, it'll do even better. If you're hard on it, it starts drinking fuel pretty fast. It's got a great powerband, however. His has 3.55s in it, and with that setup, it moves pretty [censored] well with some weight in the back.

At best, expect mid 20's (as in 22-23 mpg, US gallons) out of the Eco-boost. And that is unloaded, driving gently. Odds are if these are company vehicles they aren't going to be driven gently. If anyone had invented a full size truck that got 30 mpg, they'd be billionaires. We aren't there yet.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about service after the sale. Both are very capable.

30mpg? Even in imperial MPG that seems like a lie.

Both are new trucks so I guess its just down to whatever you want. Drive both.

Last edited:
The Chevy seems simpler mechanically, which is a plus in a work truck.
For a work truck, I'd say that real-world fuel economy, simplicity and purchase price (including financing) are the main considerations, in that order.
The Chevy beats the Ford on two and matches it on the third.
Were I you, I'd go beat the Chevy store down a little more and then drive the four home to your shop.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The trucks will be operated in mud as deep as the doors,pulling fully loaded trailers filled with tools.

You might want to add a tow truck to that fleet of yours Clevy...

how about 2 chevys and 2 fords and then you can compare them?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mcrn
how about 2 chevys and 2 fords and then you can compare them?
smile.gif

Part of the deal Chevy offered him is probably contingent upon the purchase of four trucks at once.

From what I've read in this thread, it seems as if the mileage comparison may be a wash statistically, if all four drivers in all four truck's mileages are averaged, so what about other expenditures? Oil change intervals, spark plug intervals, timing chain vs belt, tires, etc. It may not seem like much, but all of these things can add up if you'll be driving many miles.

I'd probably go Chevy. Risking a radiator in thick mud is one thing. Risking an intercooler is another. Granted whatever hit it would likely take out the A/C condenser first, but, it is another point of failure.

DI issues like fuel dilution can be taken care of to a certain extent by more frequent oil changes and caning the vehicle every now and again.

I would go with the Silverado, because I generally have had good luck with them in the past. GM does powertrains well, and these are going to be work trucks. I wish they painted their frames like Ford, but everything else (to me) points to Chevy. And your name is only 1 letter from a Chevy
smile.gif

I think $5k seems like too much of a spread in price, I would shop a few more ford dealers and see if you can do better on that front if you really want the ford.

Clevy, I and family members have had good luck with Centennial Ford in Watrous. It might be worth giving Bing a call.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And thanks guys for all your feedback. I'm open to options.

I recommend not skipping out on the 5.0L Ford. You can get a STX model that will pull whatever you're old rigs did and then some. I consistently tow my off road Jeep/trailer, camper, and ATV's and it handles them all very well. I can get in the 20's on the highway if I set the cruise.

I recently had a chance to drive a new 5.3L Chevy and frankly, I'm not impressed. I would choose a Dodge Tradesman Hemi before the Chevy hands down.

I'm surprised that the Ram trucks are not priced competitively. They are currently offering $8500 off MSRP, plus another $1500 if you can prove you already own a truck (any brand). Auto Clearing in Saskatoon was willing to knock another four grand off that for a total of $14000 off MSRP on a moderately equipped Ram Sport 1500. I ended up getting an even better deal from a small town dealer, and currently have a 2014 Ram Sport 1500 on order.

When shopping for trucks I felt the Ram was a much nicer truck then the Ford. The cab felt more solid and the interior looked much more upscale. I honestly didn't even drive the gm trucks as I just couldn't get past the looks of them. However looks really isn't a factor in buying a company truck.

Since I haven't actually received my truck yet I have no empirical data to add to this thread. But I'd suggest to take another look at the Ram as I feel it is the best of the three pickups, and I'd be surprised if you cannot get a price on them that is comparable to the Ford and Chev.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back