For those who own an airplane

Here's a take-away point for those considering aircraft ownership. The marginal cost of the next hour of operation may be only $50, which is a lot less than renting. Don't let that fool you. The hourly rental rate is not as high as it seems when you amortize the big expenses that happen only occasionally.
In some ways, that's much like car ownership. People focus on automotive capital costs, example: $30K for a new car vs $17K for a used car. But completely miss the other major expenses, such as fuel, insurance, routine maintenance, tires and brakes, and never consider the "cost per mile".

Aircraft ownership can easily cost less than similar rentals, or not. That depends on the model of aircraft, the hours flown per year, what kind of trips are flown and so on. And of course, the mindset of the owner.

Our Gulfstream G550 over the last 17 years ran an actual cost of $15K per hour. Chartering the very same plane might be as low at $8,500 per hour. However, the benefits of ownership include the often used "let's go now" feature, in all it's glory. And that includes not just "let's go to paradise now" it also includes getting outa paradise when the climate gets ugly, or when a critical feature of the trip breaks down. Paying a Charter operator to remain in Sydney for 9 weeks is so expensive, (on the order of $2M) few would consider doing it.

I think I've put a little over 1200 hours on my 177RG since purchase, I'd have to calculate it out. 2700+ hours at purchase and maybe 4000 now, I'll check. In any case, I budget about $5K for fuel each year, maybe 1200 gallons. Annual inspection costs range from $1000 to $4000, generally on the lower end. Purchase price was $40K. Value today seems to be over $80K. Then there is the cost of storage below $5K/yr.

Really, I'd have to do a detailed accounting of my "cost per hour" but the rental rates for my plane have traditionally been $175 per hour. I'd be $225K down if I had rented one all that time, and a casual glance at my expenses puts me at least a little under that, completely disregarding the price I'd sell it for.

Last edited:
... the benefits of ownership include the often used "let's go now" feature, in all it's glory. ...
Really, I'd have to do a detailed accounting of my "cost per hour" but the rental rates for my plane have traditionally been $175 per hour. I'd be $225K down if I had rented one all that time, and a casual glance at my expenses puts me at least a little under that, completely disregarding the price I'd sell it for.
Exactly! "Let's go now" is my primary reason for owning an airplane. Beyond "Let's go now", another reason is to make trips that you simply can't do (or are very difficult to arrange) when renting, like the 2 weeks we spent flying through NW Canada and Alaska in my 172, and multi-week x-country trips to other states.

My brother got his license at 17, we would rent planes and fly places to build hours. He retired from being a controller in Houston several years ago, and i remember he never wanted to get in a light plane after working there. Anyway, a fellow I worked with, he was probably late 50ish I guess started taking lessons but stopped when he found out the ins at work would not cover him in an accident he might have in a small plane as pilot. I guess he could have got a rider or other coverage if he wanted too. But broke his heart to quit.

As a tie-in to a post above, a recent Lake Havasu 177RG crash highlights the engine risk issue. The pilot regularly flew the plane, and operated it's engine well beyond it's useful life and paid the price. However, the blatantly obvious "clues" were all there. First, the oil analysis results were, for YEARS, showing HIGH and ever increasing chromium, iron and aluminum, indicating . Second, a replacement cylinder in 2020 exposed camshaft and lifters that were absolutely destroyed. Third, the engine was making metal for multiple years. Not days, weeks or months. The fact that the engine finally failed by misfiring badly on takeoff did not happen in a vacuum. My point is this, that pilot had years of warning, needing no other tools than visual observation of of the metallic bits caught in the screen and filter.

With light aircraft engines, it's not difficult or expensive to have confidence in internal integrity. I suggest checking the oil screen, cutting apart the oil filter, regular compression checks, regular oil analysis trend monitoring, and a digital engine monitor to watch temps and trends. On Lycomings, why not take an occasional look at camshaft lobes with a borescope?

... I suggest checking the oil screen, cutting apart the oil filter, regular compression checks, regular oil analysis trend monitoring, and a digital engine monitor to watch temps and trends. On Lycomings, why not take an occasional look at camshaft lobes with a borescope? On Lycomings, why not take an occasional look at camshaft lobes with a borescope?
All good advice, and standard procedure for conscientious owners. But on the most common Lycomings (O-320 and O-360) I haven't found a way to see the cam without removing a jug. On Continentals, I've read you can snake a borescope around and see parts of the cam. But not on Lycomings. If you know the secret to borescoping the cam on Lycomings without removing a jug, please do tell and I'll try it out at my next annual.

All good advice, and standard procedure for conscientious owners. But on the most common Lycomings (O-320 and O-360) I haven't found a way to see the cam without removing a jug. On Continentals, I've read you can snake a borescope around and see parts of the cam. But not on Lycomings. If you know the secret to borescoping the cam on Lycomings without removing a jug, please do tell and I'll try it out at my next annual.

While it's not pretty or easy due to the dirty oil and the convoluted positions required, a 4mm fiber optic borescope/videoscope can be fed up through the oil drain plug, through the crankcase parting seam gaps (between crankcase and pan) , around the crank and to the lobes. I've done this on a number of occasions. Pulling the sump makes it much easier.

Some Lycoming six cylinder engines also have the oil fill on the top of the crankcase. This allows easy access.

This pic shows the area where oil drains down into the sump (center top of the pic)

crankcase_halves-300x216.jpg

Here is the view you get:

lycoming_cam_lifter-e1395366966258.jpg

Remember, we are dealing with a casting, so imperfections in dimensions of the drain "gap" exist, and if the crankcases have been machined multiple times, the gap size is reduced.

Ouch, that is one nasty looking cam lobe there. Looks spalled with metal shards stuck to it.

Back