For all the Tom Brady haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Without regard to who did what, do you think that Brady would have known the balls were under inflated when he handled the first one?

Does a bear go in the woods?

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
I dont think it has to do with haters as much as it exposes the absolute unfairness of the process. The NFL banked on absolutely no proven evidence....but hearsay and guess work.

Spoken like a true NE fan...

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I love how you are labeled a "hater" if you think Brady did it and thus deserved punishment for cheating, lying, obstructing the investigation, destroying evidence, etc... Just makes me laugh. I live in the Patriot's home area and have followed the team going back to Jim Plunkett in the early 70's. I have been a Patriot fan a LOT longer than a lot of people defending Brady( well I am not really right now - too much cheating and unethical behavior for my taste since BB took over ). I was a fan in the dark days as well and not just in the modern era of success. The difference is I do not wear blinders and excuse stuff just because they are winning. I was raised better than that. So label me a hater for having common sense and expecting integrity of teams and players I follow if it makes you feel better.

I would actually say the ones who are ignoring the facts and are being influenced by their emotions on this are the fans of Brady and the Patriots. They are so in love with Brady and the team that they overlook obvious cheating. Just win baby( at all costs ). Very reminiscent of the Giants fans during Bonds steroid use. They loved him and blindly supported him while the rest of the country wanted him run out of the league and banned from the HOF for the cheater he is. Same now with Brady. NE fans ignore what he did while the rest of the country wants him held responsible.

The bottom line is Brady was involved in cheating. Period and end of story. No one, with an ounce of common sense, can truly believe he didn't know what was going on and that it wasn't at his request. That just stretches the bounds of credibility beyond the breaking point.

He plays for a coach who has a DOCUMENTED history of cheating and of pushing the rules as far as he possibly can as well. He has "grown up" as an NFL player in an environment where it is considered acceptable to cheat and to try and get away with whatever you can, whenever you can, to try and get any edge possible. If caught play dumb and deny.

The truth is he did it, got caught, and is paying a high price for being a repeat offender of sorts. His association with the team and their past cheating/rule pushing scandals( while he was QB )is biting him now. Also, if he had just owned it when caught and cooperated he would have faced probably just a fine and maybe a game max. Instead he and the team went on the defense by attacking the league and trying to shift focus off what happened. He destroyed evidence and didn't cooperate as well. So, he now has to lay in the bed HE made for himself.

I am glad the Court reinstated the suspension. Brady deserves it for the totality of all that has gone on with deflategate. I don't say that because it is Brady ether even though I admit I don't like him. I want to see cheating punished. IT should be more than a slap on the wrist too.

You make Huge assumptions based on absolutely Zero Evidence! Zero .......

If you mean there is no tape of Brady telling the ball guy to deflate the balls, you are correct. However, there is A LOT of circumstantial evidence, all of which points to Brady's guilt...

I am not a NE fan what so ever. But my take from the circumstantial evidence is that he told the ball boys he liked the ball less inflated rather than more inflated, and the boys complied. There is a range of allowable pressure in the game balls. Its not on him to take measurements and go back to the ball boys requesting additional pressure be added.

As regards the phone, there were probably text messages not related to football that would have kept the gossip news folks going for years, celebreties rarely allow their texts to be made public.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I love how you are labeled a "hater" if you think Brady did it and thus deserved punishment for cheating, lying, obstructing the investigation, destroying evidence, etc... Just makes me laugh. I live in the Patriot's home area and have followed the team going back to Jim Plunkett in the early 70's. I have been a Patriot fan a LOT longer than a lot of people defending Brady( well I am not really right now - too much cheating and unethical behavior for my taste since BB took over ). I was a fan in the dark days as well and not just in the modern era of success. The difference is I do not wear blinders and excuse stuff just because they are winning. I was raised better than that. So label me a hater for having common sense and expecting integrity of teams and players I follow if it makes you feel better.

I would actually say the ones who are ignoring the facts and are being influenced by their emotions on this are the fans of Brady and the Patriots. They are so in love with Brady and the team that they overlook obvious cheating. Just win baby( at all costs ). Very reminiscent of the Giants fans during Bonds steroid use. They loved him and blindly supported him while the rest of the country wanted him run out of the league and banned from the HOF for the cheater he is. Same now with Brady. NE fans ignore what he did while the rest of the country wants him held responsible.

The bottom line is Brady was involved in cheating. Period and end of story. No one, with an ounce of common sense, can truly believe he didn't know what was going on and that it wasn't at his request. That just stretches the bounds of credibility beyond the breaking point.

He plays for a coach who has a DOCUMENTED history of cheating and of pushing the rules as far as he possibly can as well. He has "grown up" as an NFL player in an environment where it is considered acceptable to cheat and to try and get away with whatever you can, whenever you can, to try and get any edge possible. If caught play dumb and deny.

The truth is he did it, got caught, and is paying a high price for being a repeat offender of sorts. His association with the team and their past cheating/rule pushing scandals( while he was QB )is biting him now. Also, if he had just owned it when caught and cooperated he would have faced probably just a fine and maybe a game max. Instead he and the team went on the defense by attacking the league and trying to shift focus off what happened. He destroyed evidence and didn't cooperate as well. So, he now has to lay in the bed HE made for himself.

I am glad the Court reinstated the suspension. Brady deserves it for the totality of all that has gone on with deflategate. I don't say that because it is Brady ether even though I admit I don't like him. I want to see cheating punished. IT should be more than a slap on the wrist too.

You make Huge assumptions based on absolutely Zero Evidence! Zero .......

Well lets examine that claim of yours shall we...?

1. - There are texts from the attendants talking about deflating the balls the way Tom likes them.
2. - There are all the gifts from Brady to the attendants that go way beyond simple thanks for doing your job.
3. - There is video of one of the attendants disappearing with the balls into the bathroom on the day in question.
4. - There is Brady destroying his phone to keep the texts investigators wanted from being seen( his defense is he always does that yet he still had other older phones he hadn't destroyed ).
5. - Brady's story has changed as time has gone on and his answers when directly asked if he did it would do any politician proud for answering without saying anything.
6. - The team itself has done everything it can to not cooperate with the investigation and to try and shift the blame from them to the league.
7. - The coach is a proven cheater and has been caught before( no doubt - he even admitted it once he realized they had him )and is always pushing as far over the line as he can in the attempt to gain an advantage( this is what Brady has been taught is how you win = cheat and push every boundary there is until you get caught then deny and play dumb until they have you cold turkey ).

There is more but this shows I was not just making assumptions. None of the above are regular assumptions let alone huge ones as you call them. It is just simple truths about what has gone on during the whole deflategate fiasco and in the recent team history. A reasonable person can look at that and come to the conclusion Brady at the least knew what was going on.

Even the Pat's fans favorite defense for underinflated balls( the ideal gas law )fails to hold water( or air so to speak ). The game was in January but it was not January temps. I posted the temps before. Not going to look them up again but it was in the 50's when the game started and basically stayed there through to the end. It was unseasonably warm and rainy during the game. People act like the balls were going from a 90 degree building onto Lambeau field when it was -10 degrees. Went from a 70'ish building to a 50'ish field. Just not going to do it when temps are that warm and that close together.

As Grampi said there is no video of Brady doing it/admitting it. So this is just a case of opinion and that opinion has to be based on what we actually know. To me there is more than enough evidence out there to convince a reasonable person that ball tampering went on and that at the minimum Brady knew about it. I think it stretches credibility to try and say the attendants did this on their own. They would have no incentive to do so BUT if asked( directly or as a wink wink type thing )by Brady, and then thrown some free stuff as a thank you, it seems a lot more reasonable. Add that to the fact he plays for a coach and team that has been caught cheating before and are not above trying to get away with whatever they can to gain an advantage and it makes believing cheating occurred, again, even more reasonable. They have an earned reputation now and Brady has been there the whole time it was earned.

So please do continue to wear your blinders and worship at the temple of Brady and Bellichik. That is your right. I choose to use the brain God gave me. This whole sorry mess could have been avoided by #1 playing by the rules and #2 being a man and just taking responsibility for what he( Brady )did when it was discovered. had he done that he would have been fined and at most suspended a game. Instead he chose to play it like his coach would and deny, deflect, obstruct, etc... and he is paying the price for that now( good he deserves it ).

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I am not a NE fan what so ever. But my take from the circumstantial evidence is that he told the ball boys he liked the ball less inflated rather than more inflated, and the boys complied. There is a range of allowable pressure in the game balls. Its not on him to take measurements and go back to the ball boys requesting additional pressure be added.

As regards the phone, there were probably text messages not related to football that would have kept the gossip news folks going for years, celebreties rarely allow their texts to be made public.

If it was as simple as he told the ball boys he prefers the balls a certain way and they then went out and made it so on their own he is still responsible. He is the QB who goes out there and plays under the rules with those balls they tampered with for him. He stated a clear preference to those in charge of the balls which a reasonable person can assume would mean they would want to please him and might thus do something with them.

I don't believe that is the case though. I think it is far more likely and reasonable that he asked them specifically to set them low. That explains the gifts, destroying his phone, refusal to cooperate, etc... If it was really the ball boys acting on their own he could have simply said that, apologized( i.e. I should be more careful of what I say ), taken a small fine at most, and we all could have moved on. You don't drag it out for a year and a half, cost your team a Million bucks and a 1st round draft pick, and take it to the 2nd US Court with a threat of going to the Supreme Court, if this was a couple dumbarse ball boys doing it on their own. You don't refuse to cooperate with the investigation and destroy evidence if you didn't do anything either.

It just amazes me the way people are so willing to overlook what really went on and make excuses for him? I don't get it at all? What evidence we have and his own actions speak to guilt not innocence. I am one of the biggest innocent until proven guilty guys out there( I usually get beat up here because I wont jump to guilt as fast as most do )but here I think it is pretty clear he was involved. His own actions suggest it.

The investigators asked to see specific texts, in his presence and with him controlling the phone, while he was there. Hardly a risk of the paparazzi getting nude photos of his wife off the phone or other such personal stuff he wouldn't want made public. They wanted football related texts only and they were allowing him to find those texts and show them to them.

NHHEMI

NE fans are as bad as the Pats themselves as they don't care about the cheating...as long as they're winning, cheating is okay with them...

One more time for the slow kids...

There is aleady an established penalty for using an underinflated football. That is an $8600 fine.

Tom Brady was under no obligation to turn over his phone...the correct response to that being "sit on it and rotate."

It is a personal vendetta, and anyone HONEST would admit it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

There is aleady an established penalty for using an underinflated football. That is an $8600 fine.

Tom Brady was under no obligation to turn over his phone...the correct response to that being "sit on it and rotate."

You obviously have a biased opinion...so much so that you apparently can't even be objective about it...at this point, Brady's failure to cooperate with investigators, and his destruction of evidence are far more serious than his involvement in deflating footballs...

Last edited:

Part of the CBA is also that players cooperate fully with any league investigation which Brady and the Patriot's most definitely have not done. So you want the league to follow procedure but not Brady right? Actually, he was required to turn the phone over( or at least the relevant texts to the NFL )per the above. They tried to make it as easy as possible and to keep his private stuff private but he destroyed the phone rather than turn that info over. The act of someone with something to hide I would say.

I disagree that this is just an equipment violation. Cheating by anyone for any reason ties directly into the integrity of the game clause and powers the commissioner has( and that the players agreed to btw ). Fine someone the $8600 for the equipment violation. Fine. No problem. That does not preclude the more serious penalties for violating the integrity of the game from also applying.

Everyone keeps saying it was just letting air out of the balls and is no big deal. It gave no competitive advantage. I disagree 100%. If it was no big deal why would there be a rule in place setting max and minimum PSI rates? If it was no big deal and gave no advantage why would anyone try and get the balls to their preferred PSI?

It does matter and it is a big deal. Cheating is wrong always. No gray area. Cheat little or cheat big you are still a cheater. Obviously having the balls at a QB's preferred PSI at the minimum gives them a higher comfort level. Being comfortable on the field is a definite advantage. Also, underinflated footballs are easier to catch and hold onto when there are wet conditions. Hmmm? wasn't it raining during the game in question?
grin2.gif

For one who has an obvious personal bias, calling others who point to the facts about the conduct of the accused as "slow", not only presents your illogical and frantic mental state, it also tells the world inability to form an complete thought.

Wait and see Brady will admit his liability and try to bargain with the NFL for a reduced suspension. He and the Patriots knew this was coming down and renegotiated his contract so he would lose minimal salary during suspension. Not to mention the terrible class of having a federal justice attend a party thrown by the owner after a favorable ruling which was vacated by a higher court.

Anyone that hands over a phone to ANYONE for ANY reason is a moron. Yes, it's that simple! We all know that had he done so, pistures and emails would have been on TMZ in three days, tops.

And one more time, yet again, for the slow kids...

There is already an established penalty for using an underinflated football. That is an $8600 fine.

Anyone that hands over a phone to ANYONE for ANY reason is a moron. Yes, it's that simple! We all know that had he done so, pistures and emails would have been on TMZ in three days, tops.

There is already an established penalty for using an underinflated football. That is an $8600 fine.

For the even slower kids in the room...
( see others can do it too )

Brady didn't actually have to give them/hand over his phone. They didn't ask him to do that even though they could have under the CBA. The players have to cooperate with league investigations as part of the CBA their union agreed to so it is what it is. They league/investigators wanted his phone records and they wanted to see any texts from the team and those attendants. They weren't looking for personal calls/texts between Brady and non NFL people. They were even willing to look at what they wanted to see, in his presence and with his lawyer there, all while HE kept physical control of the phone( i.e. he would look up what they wanted and then show it to them ). An innocent man, even one who has conspiracy and anti government issues, should have no problem with that. His personal info was safe.

Again, for the even slower kids in the room...

Just because there is a penalty for equipment violations on the books covering deflating footballs it does not mean other more severe penalties can not also apply in regards to the integrity of the game. I would say cheating definitely impacts the integrity of the game and even more so when the incident in question happens during a Championship game.

Jerry Rice admits he used stickem on his hands when he played and that a lot of WR's use it. Many have said it is no big deal. Just another $8600 equipment violation under the NFL rules. I have to ask, would you feel the same if you found out that those last second catches by Giants WR's that cost the Patriots 2 SB's were aided by the WR having stickum on their hands? How would you feel if they were just fined $8600 for it and no other action was taken? Would you be happy if the league also went after them hard for integrity of the game violations as well for cheating? Lets be "honest" here now with your answer remember.
grin2.gif

This goes way beyond a simple equipment violation. It was cheating done with the sole purpose of gaining a competitive advantage which does impact the integrity of the game. Whether it helped or not is totally irrelevant. It is about the intent and that intent was to cheat to gain an unfair advantage. Once caught, the moment Brady and the team started to deny and deflect, hire lawyers, refuse access to key witnesses, destroy evidence, etc... vs. just saying oops, my bad, and cooperating it became even more serious.

More for the even slower kids...

So by your definition of vendetta those in the legal system that go after and are hard on repeat offenders have a personal vendetta against the criminal. It has nothing to do with the fact the accused has broken the law before and broken it here again. Even though they are under arrest and/or back in court, yet again, for breaking the law it is actually a personal vendetta by those in the legal system for arresting and prosecuting them. Don't you see how ridiculous that is?

The Patriots have an EARNED reputation for cheating and for pushing the rules beyond the line to gain an advantage. That is just a fact. Brady has been the QB the whole time this reputation has been earned so he owns part of it fair or not. I will agree that other teams( owners, GM's, players )dislike the Patriots. I will agree that most of them are having a good chuckle over the Patriots' woes due to deflategate. Something akin to "good they deserve it". I do not agree though that Goodell just woke up one day and on his own or with pressure from other owners said okay I am going to make up a fake scenario where we deflate footballs, say that the Patriots did it, and take them down. Just foolish.

There is no league wide conspiracy out there to get the Patriots. A lack of sympathy for them from others in the league, and those same folks being glad that they are finally being held accountable for their wrong doings, does not equate to a "vendetta". They are repeat offenders who are now facing the consequences of their actions( on field and for obstructing the deflategate investigation ). If you don't want to be called a cheater and treated like one then don't cheat. Just common sense.

Again, for the even slower kids...

This is on Brady and the Patriots and no one else because it all started with them cheating again. Leave the balls alone and this never happens. That is an undeniable fact unless you think the league did it to set them up as part of a conspiracy to take them down in which case there isn't enough therapy and medication out there to help someone like that.

And what's the fine/penalty for a player doing everything in his power NOT to cooperate with an investigation? And if he did nothing wrong, why wouldn't he just cooperate?

Seeing some of the comments in this thread reinforce the reasons why I choose not to be one of the legions of doltish football fans.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Seeing some of the comments in this thread reinforce the reasons why I choose not to be one of the legions of doltish football fans.

So why even bother commenting then?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Indeed, just another guy who gets paid to play with his balls.
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi

And what's the fine/penalty for a player doing everything in his power NOT to cooperate with an investigation? And if he did nothing wrong, why wouldn't he just cooperate?

One more time: Anyone that hands over a phone to ANYONE for ANY reason is a moron. Yes, it's that simple! We all know that had he done so, pictures and emails would have been on TMZ in three days, tops.

Originally Posted By: grampi

One more time: Anyone that hands over a phone to ANYONE for ANY reason is a moron. Yes, it's that simple! We all know that had he done so, pictures and emails would have been on TMZ in three days, tops.

Again dimmest light bulb in the room. Brady did not have to hand over his cellphone. All he had to do was provided the text's between the "Deflator", the team, and the other equipment managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back