Flushing ever necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 Ranger is approaching the 25k mile mark, and I'm starting to think about upcoming maintenance. If I drain my radiator through the petcock and refill it with a fresh mix of G-05 and distilled water every 25-30k miles, would I ever really need to have a radiator flush? I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible so I can do everything myself.

I don't think you'd need a flush if you kept up that routine.

Plus, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, the cooling system will need to be opened for things like hoses and thermostats, so that will give you even more opportunities to get fresh fluid in there.

I do this on my 06 Tacoma, but at about 40K. You are effectively replacing the additives so a complete flush is not needed. The need for a coolant flush is when the system has been neglected or contaminated by something like oil or the wrong coolant type.

exranger06,

Keep doing what you're doing! I do "drain 'n fills" too - a fast easy and inexpensive way to keep the cooling system in top shape.

Overkill but yes a good routine that will work. Remeber, G-05 is a 5 year coolant, changing it in 3 years is kind of a waste. The G-05 looked so good after 5.5 years on the 3 cars I did, I ended up keeping it for top offs. Its not like the green where after 3 years it turns crudy.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Overkill but yes a good routine that will work. Remeber, G-05 is a 5 year coolant, changing it in 3 years is kind of a waste. The G-05 looked so good after 5.5 years on the 3 cars I did, I ended up keeping it for top offs. Its not like the green where after 3 years it turns crudy.

I agree. I just replaced the thermostat and the coolant on my 04 Grand Marquis with about 52K miles on it. The coolant looked really good. I bought the car with about 35K miles on it a year or so ago, so I have no idea if the previous owner ever changed it. I doubt it.
I bought two gallons of G-05 at Napa. At least now I know when it was changed. I figure I'm good for at least the next 5 years.
The inside of the engine and thermostat housing looked like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back