Flu Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got harpooned last week. Employer offers it for free and it's one of the few things I do that doesn't get me a lecture from my doctor.

Not sure if I had any side-effects. I did feel kind of run-down and chilled for a few days last week, but that may also have been because I didn't have heat until my new HVAC was installed and while very low 50's is pleasant outside, inside it's not so much...

I share the train-ride to/from Chicago with a lot of really important people who must be vital to their employer because they're dragging themselves in while hacking up their lungs so I want whatever edge I can get to not get sick.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
So you want to take a gamble and compromise a young child's health, that has the rest of his/her life ahead of them to possibly help an elderly person not catch the flu? At least I know I'm selfish with no delusions.
Your claim here is false as well.

You're willing to gamble on the health of a person with a comprimised immune system because of interwebs conspiracy hoo-hah?!?

I'll stick with the CDC recommendations rather than the random online oil forum user's input, thank you very much....

Remember, there is not zero-risk in anything you do. But when the benefits outweigh those risks, the smart money bets on the good chances.

There is nothing you can do with absolute certainty. Don't play the conversation like you can.

I think the flu season starts earlier in Australia and the CDC waits to see which strain it is.
Then they make the shot for USA.

Vaccines have worked very well with Polio, MMR, MMRV, Pneumonia, Shingles and a host of other ailments (100% - No ... but very,very well)
Lifespan keeps getting longer & longer ....
I'll keep getting my yearly flu shot as recommended .

I also wear my seat-belt and motorcycle helmet. They have both saved me from serious injury and haven't hurt me yet

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Another thing about the Flu... Most people that think they have a flu, don't really have it. They may have a strain of cold virus that gives them aches and pains for a couple days. That is NOT the flu. I've had full blown flu twice. Once as a kid in the 60's and once in the early 70's in high school. I remember it vividly and it felt like someone was bending my bones just to the point of snapping -all while running a 104F fever. It lasted a solid 5 days or so and it was another 4 days afterward to almost feel human again. In the 80's I decided to get annual flu shots and have never been knocked-down like that since then.

I agree and doubt StevieC has ever had the flu. 3 times in 40 years is a lot of flu and if was really the flu, he'd be first in line to get the shot. Flu is nasty stuff.

Diagnosed by the doctor as I felt like I was going to die. The worst was 2 winters ago when I couldn't get warm and was taking a shower every hour to try and warm up. I felt like my joints were full of glass and I was running a mild temperature for part of it even though I felt ridiculous cold. I couldn't eat and I felt mildly dizzy at times as well as shaky. I went to the hospital because it got so bad on this last flu I had which was worse than the times before and was told it was the flu and I had to stick it out., aside from giving me some fluids via inter venous they couldn't do anything for me. Took about a week to get over the hard symptoms but took about a month to recover the energy level back to normal.

Yep, that sounds like the flu. My apologies for doubting you.

And you still don't want the shot?

Last edited:
I just find it amazing how many people that take the flu shot every year want it mandatory for everyone else. If you take the shot, why on earth would you care if others got it or not, you should be safe, right?
If you don't feel safe to the point you want to force this thing on others, it means the shot is not really that effective. And to use guilt and shame tactics to get your point across? That right there is a red flag.

No flu shots for me or my immediate family, especially my children. There are some nasty chemicals and mercury in these shots that can wreck havoc in young bodies if you continue injecting them every single year. Yes, I'm that selfish.

I think that's because the level of trust in the medical community is down for whatever reason. This happened with measles too. It was optional for a long time and thought to be stamped out. But then more and more people stopped vaccinating their kids for whatever reasons and then all it took was for one person to start an infection where many kids weren't vaccinated. Then a few communities passed laws that required all kids going to school get vaccinated or they wouldn't be allowed in. Then vaccination rates went up. As of yet, aside from baseless theories like mercury and nasty chemicals, the anti vaxxers really have no scientific evidence to stand upon. Remember, the scientific method is based on repeatable, reproducible results. The laws may be due to the fact that it turns out that people aren't very good at determining what's a real danger and what's not or how to properly evaluate risk. That's probably why there are seat belt laws where there weren't any before.

Ultimately I of course don't really care if you live or die. It's just that it's human nature to try and offer people helpful advice. But to be so suspicious of other people's motive, I think that's even worse.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Data, data everywhere, but not a thought to think.

I get one because my job requires it. I work in transportation at a "nursing" home. Either the shot or wear a mask until the month of March. Not doing that!

No side effects from them.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I just find it amazing how many people that take the flu shot every year want it mandatory for everyone else. If you take the shot, why on earth would you care if others got it or not, you should be safe, right?
If you don't feel safe to the point you want to force this thing on others, it means the shot is not really that effective. And to use guilt and shame tactics to get your point across? That right there is a red flag.

No flu shots for me or my immediate family, especially my children. There are some nasty chemicals and mercury in these shots that can wreck havoc in young bodies if you continue injecting them every single year. Yes, I'm that selfish.

I think that's because the level of trust in the medical community is down for whatever reason. This happened with measles too. It was optional for a long time and thought to be stamped out. But then more and more people stopped vaccinating their kids for whatever reasons and then all it took was for one person to start an infection where many kids weren't vaccinated. Then a few communities passed laws that required all kids going to school get vaccinated or they wouldn't be allowed in. Then vaccination rates went up. As of yet, aside from baseless theories like mercury and nasty chemicals, the anti vaxxers really have no scientific evidence to stand upon. Remember, the scientific method is based on repeatable, reproducible results. The laws may be due to the fact that it turns out that people aren't very good at determining what's a real danger and what's not or how to properly evaluate risk. That's probably why there are seat belt laws where there weren't any before.

Ultimately I of course don't really care if you live or die. It's just that it's human nature to try and offer people helpful advice. But to be so suspicious of other people's motive, I think that's even worse.

Where did I say I'm an "anti vaxxer"? Nice assumption for such a data driven person as you claim to be.

I'm fully vaccinated for all the major diseases, so is my wife and children. But those vaccines are mostly one time shot deal, quite different from getting a shot every year with who knows what's inside of it one year from another and on top of it, it may still not protect you.

I'm not here to convince anyone about not taking the flu shot, but I'm not going to stand for people trying to guilt me, or force me to get this shot every year because other vaccines are successful. Flu shot vaccine is not even on the same level as polio or chickenpox.

Where did I say I'm an "anti vaxxer"? Nice assumption for such a data driven person as you claim to be.

I'm not here to convince anyone about not taking the flu shot, but I'm not going to stand for people trying to guilt me, or force me to get this shot every year because other vaccines are successful. Flu shot vaccine is not even on the same level as polio or chickenpox.

Where did I say you were an anti-vaxxer?

You may feel guilty after reading what people have posted for whatever reason.

No one on the internet can force you to do anything.

Of course it's well known that the flu vaccine isn't 100% effect, no vaccine is although some have pretty high rates. It's been mentioned before, anywhere from 10-60% depending on the year. They of course figure out the effectiveness of it afterwards though.

So you want to take a gamble and compromise a young child's health, that has the rest of his/her life ahead of them to possibly help an elderly person not catch the flu? At least I know I'm selfish with no delusions.

You an anti-vaccination type, too?

Your logic is precisely the same: medical science is wrong, medical technology is bad, and the shot only helps the individual so, it's an individual choice.

While ignoring the fact that vaccination (including flu shots) helps the general population, not just the individual, so it's a public health choice, and that all the "studies" about the risks of thimerosal were debunked internet garbage.

Even Jenny McCarthy (that paragon of anti-vax and scientific analysis) has since, publicly, recanted her anti-vax stance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Throt
I work for a hospital and they all but demand it. It's free, so obviously I got the shot. Doesn't hurt me at all and may prevent a child or an elderly patient from coming down with the flu and potentially losing their life. This will rub people the wrong way....but not getting the shot is just petty selfishness. The science is in, has been in for decades, that vaccines work. Just do it. Call me whatever you'd like but I think it should be law. We have no more time for people ignorant of science.

Totally agree; same goes for anti-vaccers who don't get their kids immunized.

That's just incorrect. There was a quack doc in England who was spreading those rumors about autism and vaccines. Turned out there was no truth in it and he lost his license over it. He did a lot of real damage by spreading that misinformation, but we seem to be in the era of alternate realities anyways.

great post, wolf.
the flu shot threads are always comical -- in the sense that there are many that really believe that the shot can give you the flu.any thinking person knows that this is impossible.if one does get the flu, say, one or two months later, it's highly likely that it's from a mutation of one of the 3 strains involved in the serum. these strains mutate so rapidly, that the people that develop the serum cannot provide protection against a strain that did not yet exist, at the time of mass production.

one poster states that there is mercury in the serum. I'd love to see data on that claim.

a friend of a friend stated, last year, that she had no time to get the shot.in many areas, one can get a shot at a pharmacy.that excuse is so lame, that it's funny.spend a little less time "yapping" on the 'net -- then you'll have time to get the shot.

I've been getting it for many years, and have gotten the flu twice, in the last 20 years.is this due to the shot? I'm guessing that it helped, to some degree. getting rest, avoiding sick people when possible, keeping your immune system healthy, and some luck all help in avoiding the flu.

one stated that he was sick for many weeks. that's not the flu,as it will last 5,7, maybe 10 days.
it's amazing/amusing how much bee ess that some believe about this vaccine.

at any rate, if you don't want to get the shot, for whatever reason, don't get it. that's cool.but, don't use excuses like no time, or mercury in the serum, or some other bee ess as excuses. you will only look foolish.read some objective material on the topic.

the last line of wolf's post says it all. that should be a sig line.
have a good day, all. lots of football, and baseball on today. enjoy.

I

Not saying you are ignorant but is an ignorant (meaning not well thought out) concept that you feel your children are statistically safer without proven. I am guessing there are lots of folks that did the same as you and then wish otherwise as trhey visited their gravesite.

I have done tons of genealogy and it really stands out how many childred in the past died from illnesses today are preventable (like the flu). Talk about not learning from history.

Its like old people died from 3 things (mainly) Atherosclerosis, cancer and pneumonia. They died of Atherosclerosis bc they didn't have statins. 3 out of 4 of my grandparents died of it at the age of 76. The one that didn't died of apendicitis. Pneumonia bc they didn't have the flu shot. Again..would not of protected everyone, but it would have helped.

Maybe we should add vaccines to the no religion, sex, politics because it seems to be quite an emotional and polarizing topic.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Maybe we should add vaccines to the no religion, sex, politics because it seems to be quite an emotional and polarizing topic.

Vaccines are basic science. There's no evidence for any of the claims being made. You can lump them in with the flat earthers and the fake moon landing people. Most claims are based on ignorance like how it's a lie because it's not 100% effective. There was never any claim that it was 100% and the data is out there that shows how effective it is year to year. Seat belts aren't 100% either. Still better than nothing.

Vaccines are basic science. There's no evidence for any of the claims being made. You can lump them in with the flat earthers and the fake moon landing people. Most claims are based on ignorance like how it's a lie because it's not 100% effective. There was never any claim that it was 100% and the data is out there that shows how effective it is year to year. Seat belts aren't 100% either. Still better than nothing.

we're taking an early half time break from the okla. game, and I see that wolf is at it, AGAIN --- using logic and reason, on the 'net.
I'm going to try and find info on how many illnesses/deaths have occurred, due to mercury poisoning, from the dreaded flu vaccine.i'll go back about 30 years. on second thought, I think i'll go back and watch the second half of the game.

wolf -- you mean that the earth is NOT flat ?
peter -- this topic is emotional only to those that believe the bee ess. rational people know better, and, therefore, do not get emotional about this.
have a good evening, guys.

Vaccines are basic science.

Actually they're not. I definitely would NOT have the nerve say that. Immunology isn't a joke, and it's not "logic" and/or "reason". You feeling secure and ensured has nothing to do with real science or factual reality. As a person over the age of 10, you understand then that claims and supporting evidence for this discourse go both ways. Even ignoring that, you also understand that science is neither inherently good or evil; it neither owes you service and protection any more than it owes you injury and hardship. I hope that brazen fact isn't too hard to swallow.

The emotions come from ardently defending the choices, either way, that people have made and the ideologies we've invested in believing. Likened to religious and and political discourse , the "science" in this case are the materials we choose to use to support a case we believe; the science is there for both arguments, as well as the pseudo-science FOR BOTH arguments. Now, when any adult mind figures the interests, the protocols and sources of funding of your supporting material's genesis, one of the sides starts looking more logical and likely, while the other side makes less and less sense. Which side a person leans to ? Well that entirely depends what a person thinks they already know for sure.

Vaccines are basic science.

Actually they're not. I definitely would NOT have the nerve say that. Immunology isn't a joke, and it's not "logic" and/or "reason". You feeling secure and ensured has nothing to do with real science or factual reality. As a person over the age of 10, you understand then that claims and supporting evidence for this discourse go both ways. Even ignoring that, you also understand that science is neither inherently good or evil; it neither owes you service and protection any more than it owes you injury and hardship. I hope that brazen fact isn't too hard to swallow.

The emotions come from ardently defending the choices, either way, that people have made and the ideologies we've invested in believing. Likened to religious and and political discourse , the "science" in this case are the materials we choose to use to support a case we believe; the science is there for both arguments, as well as the pseudo-science FOR BOTH arguments. Now, when any adult mind figures the interests, the protocols and sources of funding of your supporting material's genesis, one of the sides starts looking more logical and likely, while the other side makes less and less sense. Which side a person leans to ? Well that entirely depends what a person thinks they already know for sure.

Well, yes. Vaccines are basic science. You give the body a little antigen and it learns to make antibodies. Next time it sees the antigen, it is ready with the antibodies to attack and subdue the invading antigens.

Or as Andy Rooney said, People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back