Ever been an extra in a TV series, commercial or movie?

I kinda, sorta, maybe after a few shots of whiskey, can be mistaken for someone famous. I was contacted by a legitimate casting firm to see if I wanted to be an “extra” in a production. They said it would be a one time roll (non SAG) but it could grow depending on how I did and if the series took off. I’ll bet they say that line to everyone. They have my pictures and information so I guess I passed the first visual test.

Pay is nothing to crow about, $200+ per 8 hour day but it sounds like fun. Has anyone on BITOG been an extra in a commercial, TV Series or a movie?

Last edited:
I was an extra in a series of TV commercials for a regional bank a few years ago. I don't think they ever aired in the Rochester market, however. But I got my $50!!! :cool:

Not in a TV Series or movie or anything special but I was the extra for interviews on the news once and got to actually be used because my neighbors freaked out that their kids would be on TV so they contacted me and interviewed me. Kinda similar I guess. It was about the new bus routes and new stops and they wanted the kids input on it for the community.

I was never an extra, but I appeared in Life magazine in a photo of a group of people at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair opening day. Of course, I was paid nothing. As I cut school that day to attend the opening day, I was hoping none of my teachers saw it. Nobody ever said anything to me about it.

Years back, Spike Lee was making that Summer of Sam movie, we got a call to supply a rental generator for a carnival scene they were filming under the Brooklyn Bridge. After delivering it and hooking it up, they asked us if we would be extras and walk around the carnival. We did. We later learned that the whole scene was cut and didn't make it into the movie.

k!xv, you remind me of something I had forgotten. Back in the 1970's, I was teaching chemistry at a small college in the midwest. One of my students cut class and went to see an Evil Knieval event out west (Snake River?). He did not tell his parents as he knew they would hit the roof. While out there, he was filmed without his knowledge by a TV crew and the footage was shown on national network TV. All his parents neighbors called them to say they had seen their son at this event. Naturally, the hammer fell. What are the chances??

Pay is nothing to crow about, $200+ per 8 hour day but it sounds like fun. Has anyone on BITOG been an extra in a commercial, TV Series or a movie?

Well I can tell the pay has doubled, but they are lying to you about the hours. It's usually 7-7 or 6-6.

BTW, my brother was an extra in some movie directed by Walther Matheau, filmed in Wetumpka, AL back in the 90's. He was there for 3 days, I believe, to film a scene where he and several others walked across a street....

If you've ever been on set watching something being filmed, you know it is the most boring thing you could ever think of. The last time I was on a set, it was a reality cooking show and they filmed for nearly an hour to get a judge to say 3 words exactly how the producer wanted it....

I’ve been an extra in 1 movie, 2 cable TV series (AMC & The Comedy Channel) and did a AAA commercial this Summer. Michigan had some attractive tax incentives a few years back, and a lot of movies were filmed here.
Was always treated well and met a lot of interesting people.

k!xv, you remind me of something I had forgotten. Back in the 1970's, I was teaching chemistry at a small college in the midwest. One of my students cut class and went to see an Evil Knieval event out west (Snake River?). He did not tell his parents as he knew they would hit the roof. While out there, he was filmed without his knowledge by a TV crew and the footage was shown on national network TV. All his parents neighbors called them to say they had seen their son at this event. Naturally, the hammer fell. What are the chances??
What was bad about my picture was that it was at a beer pavilion. There was a big civil rights demonstration going on, and lots of confusion on opening day. I had a beer in my hand, and I was only 16 years old. It was the first time I was ever served an alcoholic beverage in public.

In 1992 I was an extra in the movie "Malice" starring Nicole Kidman, Bill Pullman and Alec Baldwin. A scene was filmed at the cafe I worked at so all the employees got to be extras. We were "people on the street" for a couple scenes being filmed at our outdoor tables. We were served amazing food from an LA food truck and I sat one seat away from Bill at lunch. My scene was cut lol.

Luckily it didn't involve firearms...

I wasn’t an extra, but I am on a wall display in an Agronomy building at Iowa State University. It’s been up for around 15 years, which really surprised me.

I was briefly interviewed by a famous ag podcaster as well. It’s amazing how quick a microphone in your face shuts off your intelligence and switches to stupidity.

They are currently filming the Netflix series OBX here and asking for extras. Pay is $88 for 8hr day and time and half after that. I was tempted to submit my info but filming was on the beach and the weather was going to be a little to cold for my liking for 12hrs out there.

I made the cover of Forbes Magazine, as a tiny unrecognizable blob on the deck of my boss' sailboat. My one claim to fame...

Back