Flowing Water On Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy

We aren't being told the truth about most everything. Why would this be different.

If the Government had a monopoly on information (like if you were in NK)..maybe. I read about Cosmology, Quantum Mechanics, and Science constantly. The overwhelming majority of the information does not come from the U.S. government. And what does is University Research FUNDED by the Gov.

This "Not being told the truth stuff" is a function of whom "you" listen to.

Last edited:
You said water "on" any planet with an atmosphere, not water in the atmosphere. I'd bet a very large sum of money you're not going to find liquid water on Venus.

Please, enlighten Astro14 about the solar system. He clearly is confused and lacks expertise in this area.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Great. Now it is about time for an youtube post.

Yes, which I promise to never watch. They let enough goofballs on network TV. Youtube, without vetting much beyond illegal content, is a virtual funny farm.

The MAJORITY of actual data about many items "regarding space" COMES DIRECTLY FROM GOV'T SOURCES OR INSTITUTIONS THAT ARE SPONSORED BY GOV'T INSTITUTIONS, NOT TO MENTION CERTAIN LARGE CORPORATIONS THAT ALSO ARE HIGHLY SECRETIVE AS WELL, and in collusion with gov't.

Refute that. No, you can't because it is the absolute truth.
Now we're all waiting for your cue to change the subject.
wink.gif

Now I wonder....why did NASA/JPL wipe ALL references to Ceres from their NASA website a couple of months ago? Let's hear the excuses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: hatt
LOL. Venus most certainly has H2O today.

Where?

I think he's talking about Florida.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You said water "on" any planet with an atmosphere, not water in the atmosphere. I'd bet a very large sum of money you're not going to find liquid water on Venus.

Please, enlighten Astro14 about the solar system. He clearly is confused and lacks expertise in this area.
whistle.gif

Who said you were going to find liquid water on Venus? Wasn't me. And atmosphere certainly qualifies as on a planet. There's also a high likelihood of water locked inside of the planet as well but that has nothing to do with the matter. And I didn't say you're find 100% find water on every single planet everywhere. Do you understand what "likely" means. Mr. Smarty Pants came up with Venus as some angle to trump my statement. Whoops, H2O there. Guess he needs to do some more research.

I'd like to point out they recently found water on our moon. They did more work on some moon rocks that were brought back during the Apollo program, and found some of the rocks were composed of a crystal hydrate.

Originally Posted By: Garak

whistle.gif

Who said you were going to find liquid water on Venus? Wasn't me. And atmosphere certainly qualifies as on a planet. There's also a high likelihood of water locked inside of the planet as well but that has nothing to do with the matter. And I didn't say you're find 100% find water on every single planet everywhere. Do you understand what "likely" means. Mr. Smarty Pants came up with Venus as some angle to trump my statement. Whoops, H2O there. Guess he needs to do some more research.

Mr Smarty pants read your statement. Which said "water on any planet..."...not trace vapor...you implied something completely different than what you now claim.

This isn't a matter of research on my part, I've got my facts straight.

This is matter of poor articulation on your part. Or back pedaling after you checked your own facts, whatever...keep trying...please tell us more about our solar system...or physics...or Astronomy...I'm all ears...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'd like to point out they recently found water on our moon. They did more work on some moon rocks that were brought back during the Apollo program, and found some of the rocks were composed of a crystal hydrate.
Yep. It's everywhere.

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is. Every planet with an atmosphere most likely has H2O on it.

Who said you were going to find liquid water on Venus? Wasn't me.

Actually, this discovery a really big deal. It's liquid water on Mars. It's exciting, at least, to a scientist or science enthusiast.

It had been thought that Mars, like Venus, had long since lost its liquid water. So, this changes our view of the planet. That's a big deal.

We were discussing the discovery of liquid water on Mars...so, you can see how you implied something in your first post, that you then completely retracted in your second post.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Does Venus have H2O? Yes or no.

On it?

No.
Does Venus have H20? One word answer, yes or no.

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is. Every planet with an atmosphere most likely has H2O on it.

Who said you were going to find liquid water on Venus? Wasn't me.

Actually, this discovery a really big deal. It's liquid water on Mars. It's exciting, at least, to a scientist or science enthusiast.

It had been thought that Mars, like Venus, had long since lost its liquid water. So, this changes our view of the planet. That's a big deal.

We were discussing the discovery of liquid water on Mars...so, you can see how you implied something in your first post, that you then completely retracted in your second post.
What retraction? My posts were pretty clear. H2O is everywhere. Of course under the right condition liquid water would be there too, but I didn't say anything about liquid water.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Why is liquid water on Mars a big deal when it has polar ice caps?
smile.gif

Probably has to do with funding. Scientists are always surprised. It's weird since they always know everything too.

Quote:
May 28, 2002: Using instruments on NASA's 2001 Mars Odyssey spacecraft, surprised scientists have found enormous quantities of buried treasure lying just under the surface of Mars -- enough water ice to fill Lake Michigan twice over. And that may be only the tip of the iceberg.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/28may_marsice/

smile.gif

Probably has to do with funding. Scientists are always surprised. It's weird since they always know everything too.

This is just so...wrong...again...Hatt...

Because the polar ice caps aren't just water ice...they're frozen carbon dioxide...

And when you look at the Martian climate, there is no reason that liquid water should exist...too cold...too dry...

Last edited:
smile.gif

This is just so...wrong...again...Hatt...

Because the polar ice caps aren't water ice...they're frozen carbon dioxide...

Are you sure there isnt any H2O ice in the mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back