Flow Equals Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
one of my many reasons i use the stainless steel oil filter because of its excellent decrease in psid restriction. i learned that flow(inc. lubrication) is more important then filtration.

The flow restriction (and heating) caused by a typical engine oil filter should be insignificant. I've never found a useable mesh filter that could equal the performance (flow/filtering) of the typical 'synth' filter.

Which mesh filter are you using?

Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
one of my many reasons i use the stainless steel oil filter because of its excellent decrease in psid restriction. i learned that flow(inc. lubrication) is more important then filtration.

The flow restriction (and heating) caused by a typical engine oil filter should be insignificant. I've never found a useable mesh filter that could equal the performance (flow/filtering) of the typical 'synth' filter.

Which mesh filter are you using?

Its in his sig. He thinks its 17 micron absolute when in reality its 30 iirc. Gravel trap.
And cost is insane. I can buy 50 filters for the cost of 1 of his. That's a minimum of 250000 miles worth of filters at 5000 mile filter change intervals.
I run em at least 10000 which traps even smaller particulate

Your university 101 is specifically talking about circulating oil lubrication of plain bearings in internal combustion engines, not roller bearings...but you knew that and brought in rollers anyway...

but if you want to tell us how flow equals lubrication in roller bearings, off you go...

You know Shannow, as you've alluded to many times, I think we've got a fundamental misunderstanding of what flow actually means in an engine with a positive displacement pump. People are continually confusing that with, say, the flow of -40 oil from a jug versus hot oil from the pan, or comparing the flow of a river of water versus a river of molasses. Throw in pumpability, and the confusion really sets in.

It's been covered here many times, bearings operating in a hydrodynamic lubrication regime are somewhat 'self-regulating' iirc. With sufficient speed, the bearings draw in the required makeup oil. The same molecular tension that draws (shears) the oil into a separation-building layer is the same drawing force that suckles upon the supply orifice. At this point, pressure just helps place the oil where it needs to be as far as bearings are concerned. As I understand previous discussion, there could be little difference in performance between a bearing being fed 20psi vs 80psi, as long as the oil has arrived to be drawn in.

However, I'm still uncertain about whether the oil pressure can affect the time spent in the bearing- whether it truly does affect "bearing throughput", and consequently any immediate heating consequences of oil lingering in high load areas. I can't really think of much more of a lubrication advantage to higher flow than cooling effects. And again, this discussion only pertains to bearings (main and rod). The piston ring/wall interface is far from a mirror finish, piston pins have no presurized feed and are essntially splash lubed, and they have no bearings (on the piston itself) relying on the white metal of the piston for the bearing surface all the while getting licked with flames so to speak.

The bearings have it easy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back