Smoke machine upgrade

D60

I'm not thrilled with my "paint can" Autoline smoke tester. Just doesn't seem to produce much smoke. I'm using the actual Redline fluid, but not sure if that's necessary?

ANYWAY I'd like to step up to a nicer machine with flow meter. Please, if you DIY'd one that's great but I don't have the time, so no DIY suggestions.

I'm 99% on the Redline 95-0400 because it seems well-reviewed, the company is well-respected (and apparently sells parts to service their machines) and the price is tolerable at ~$600. Honestly I didn't want to spend even $600 but I'm at a point where I'd rather buy once and cry once.

If anyone has other suggestions that have a flow meter, a chance at customer support if ever needed and are sub $1k I'd consider it. My use is a hack who occasionally attempts to identify as a professional.

Other contenders might be some of the Proflex+ Smoke Monster models, OTC LeakTamer, Mastercool, ThinkCar, or Icon now offers one.

Please note there are reports of some of the Chinese look-alikes producing 15psi, making them unacceptable for evap systems despite their marketing claims.

Ive got one of the paint can jobbers too and Ive never been able to get it to make much smoke. Certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know anything about this new ICON smoke machine, but it seems to meet your specifications and price point. Harbor Freight has a 30 day no questions asked return policy in case it doesn't meet your expectations.

1708979680959.jpg

Check out the Autool SDT 208. It is one of the few that has a dedicated evap mode. I use baby oil in tester, it works fine and is dirt cheap.

Reactions: D60
I have Autoline's Ventus and it works very well. I also have Thinkcar's evap model smoke machine and I have not used it yet. The bezel for the gauge has already fallen off so that is not a positive for me. I ordered it when it first came out so maybe the build quality is better now. It was also about half the price it is now.

I don't know anything about this new ICON smoke machine, but it seems to meet your specifications and price point. Harbor Freight has a 30 day no questions asked return policy in case it doesn't meet your expectations.

View attachment 205502
Yeah I considered it. There's a vid here I watched, although I skipped the unboxing part. He hooks it up to a transducer later and it appears to put out 0.5-0.7 psi, so that's good for evap.

I'm not bashing ICON, but I have doubts about being able to call up an exploded diagram in 5 years and order a single part. But maybe that'll never be necessary anyway.....

UPDATE: I found a used OTC 6525 for $500 and pulled the trigger. Hopefully it works as it should. This is a more of a "big boy" machine and retails today at nearly $2k. I'll have to put on my big boy panties and hope it's not too much machine for my feeble intellect.....

I have one made by Bosch, it works well and came with a plethora of adapters. I think it was about 800 bucks five years ago.

• Love
UPDATE: I found a used OTC 6525 for $500 and pulled the trigger. Hopefully it works as it should. This is a more of a "big boy" machine and retails today at nearly $2k. I'll have to put on my big boy panties and hope it's not too much machine for my feeble intellect.....
If it works properly you stole it. The only way to get that cheaper is if you knocked him off the head with pipe and ran off with it.

I received the machine, bought the cheapest thing of baby oil I could find on a WM expedition (and make no mistake -- every time you enter a WM it is an expedition) without additives like aloe.....and haven't had time to open the box.

Exciting, eh?

$500 is dirt cheap?
For a machine with a dedicated evap mode and built in air pump it is very cheap when compared to high end machines with the same functions. The Icon model looks okay in this $500 price class also. The OP already had a cheap red can which are okay too but wanted to replace it with a better tool.

Recentli purchase a smoke machine on Amazon for $80 and it works great.

Solary Automotive Smoke Machine Leak Detector - 12V DC​

I purchased the SD301 model for $80. I got a damaged packing unit for $70
SD303 model is $100
SD302 model is $140

Each has more features. The SD301 works for me andI was unware of the other two models at the time of my purchase.

Well I did fire up the machine tonight and all seems to work.

This must be a V1.0 because there's no dipstick but the .pdf manual for the current 6525 shows one. I'm not sure how to add fluid except for what appears to be a hole and rubber plug in the bottom? ATM there's fluid in there so it's working fine.

Also the 6525 calls for air pressure of 50-150 psi. I just run unregulated off my compressor anymore and so it's likely closer to 175. I wonder if it really matters??

Also, is nitrogen mandatory for evap testing?

Geez lots of questions

Also the 6525 calls for air pressure of 50-150 psi. I just run unregulated off my compressor anymore and so it's likely closer to 175. I wonder if it really matters??

Geez lots of questions
What I wonder about is if these machines mostly put either are made for evap use only, or made for not evap use, since you really should limit the psi going to an evap system. I know of only one machine that has an evap setting, but otherwise I would think that you would need 2 machines, or just use a regular machine with no evap setting and watch the gauge and turn it off when it gets too high. Or get one that uses your shop air and regulate that to 1PSI (which I think would be difficult).

Well I did fire up the machine tonight and all seems to work.

This must be a V1.0 because there's no dipstick but the .pdf manual for the current 6525 shows one. I'm not sure how to add fluid except for what appears to be a hole and rubber plug in the bottom? ATM there's fluid in there so it's working fine.

Geez lots of questions
I cant speak to the machine, it should have a fill port. I would contact OTC with the serial number and ask them for a manual.
You could use a small regulator with gauge before the water separator on the back to regulate it down to about 75 psi.
I have never seen anyone use nitrogen with these tools, no need for tracer or other expensive fluids either, baby oil or if you don't like the scent use 100% food safe mineral oil for less than $10 a qt.

https://www.amazon.com/32oz-US-100-...+grade+mineral+oil&qid=1710252106&sr=8-8&th=1

I cant speak to the machine, it should have a fill port. I would contact OTC with the serial number and ask them for a manual.
You could use a small regulator with gauge before the water separator on the back to regulate it down to about 75 psi.
I have never seen anyone use nitrogen with these tools, no need for tracer or other expensive fluids either, baby oil or if you don't like the scent use 100% food safe mineral oil for less than $10 a qt.

https://www.amazon.com/32oz-US-100-Pure-Mineral/dp/B0BJH3RD1F/ref=sr_1_8?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DyBKzsB6tTGq2VM3DNDquIjgxWWw5O-Sj_iZOFA1wI4Tf57os67_En1wdkduxR6vfG2EATttqgJiER6zfUK22JbDceJUrnOaT47S4Z0JdnwjA838EW76tCDvzlpQhibEsx_TrPF58xK7aLu3dEE3YnopwNcfQcuCAefWRvBdBeMMw3yAeNxB2gaVyIUKxbN_EBFAezC6pWwtPar0inrRzHg6_uE6d13Icw7Lo89oEPUN1sj5-ggjbiNKqzynDfVna6wa279RMBg1vblcECJiIEx8cdTUdoZHOWKJdC1gmss.C6150aO1NaQK7897fz8TBr-26FggGnKpyZWZWXpPrc4&dib_tag=se&keywords=medical+grade+mineral+oil&qid=1710252106&sr=8-8&th=1
Thanks Trav, I shot off an email to OTC tech

The current download shows
Screenshot_20240312_123837_Drive.jpg

But this is what I see:
20240312_123922.jpg

Back