Floor jack service - please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Costco bought floor jack that has lost its lifting capability.
The lift occurs at the last portion of the lift stroke.
I have not used this jack much; it is at least 5 years old but mostly just sits.
Probably used less than 50 times.
It has leaked some hydraulic fluid...
Do I simply service it?

Thanks in advance...
I will check Youtube as well.

Should be a plug / screw you can remove to add fluid . Go to the auto supply house or maybe Walmart . Sak hot hydraulic jack fluid / oil .

Top it off . May have to bleed the air out of the system .

I have an older floor jack , that I have to do this from time to time .

Where did it leak from? A loose fill cap or a seal? If it leaking from seal I wouldn't trust the jack by just topping it up, I'd repair it properly or get it repaired. Bad things can happen when jack fails.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Where did it leak from? A loose fill cap or a seal? If it leaking from seal I wouldn't trust the jack by just topping it up, I'd repair it properly or get it repaired. Bad things can happen when jack fails.
That is what jack stands are for! It does sound like it's low on hydraulic fluid, generally the seals will leak a little, I have an older HF orange one that needs a shot occasionally.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That is what jack stands are for! It does sound like it's low on hydraulic fluid, generally the seals will leak a little, I have an older HF orange one that needs a shot occasionally.

I know what jack stands are for, and use them. Even with them a jack with a leak is unsafe. A leaking jack can fail while you're trying to place a jack stand under the vehicle, not good. I wouldn't trust it until I really checked it over! Opinions vary.

[/quote]That is what jack stands are for! It does sound like it's low on hydraulic fluid, generally the seals will leak a little, I have an older HF orange one that needs a shot occasionally. [/quote]

Yep ! :)

I know what jack stands are for, and use them. Even with them a jack with a leak is unsafe. A leaking jack can fail while you're trying to place a jack stand under the vehicle, not good. I wouldn't trust it until I really checked it over! Opinions vary.
Honestly, if it falls that fast, you'll know before you even try. With as cheap as the HF ones are getting, might be time for a new one (like this one)-
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html
This jack actually can lift either back end of my F-450 when it's fully loaded, truck weighs in the neighborhood of 12K!

Last edited:

Honestly, if it falls that fast, you'll know before you even try. With as cheap as the HF ones are getting, might be time for a new one (like this one)-
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html
This jack actually can lift either back end of my F-450 when it's fully loaded, truck weighs in the neighborhood of 12K!

I have the 4 ton HF version [a nice jack, very heavy], and a 35 year old Craftsman jack that hasn't needed a top up yet. The reason for my comments here are these. A few years back my wife got a flat with our Aerostar. I had a small 3 ton floor jack in it. I drove there with with a jack stand ready to change the tire for her. I loosened the lugs, jacked it up, went to my van to get the jack stand out, as I was getting ready to slip it under, the Aerostar started coming down. I was lucky, for a few reasons. I didn't get the stand under the Aerostar, I had left the wheel on it with the lugs loose. I went back home and got the 35 year old Craftsman jack and finished the job. Long story short, I was telling the OP to check the jack over real well. If all it needs is a top up and bleed fine, if it has a leak I wouldn't trust it. I've seen them fail as you stated, they lift the car and it comes back down, that wasn't the case here. FTR this jack was full the fill cap tight, it was used a few times too w/o issue as well. I tossed it.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I have a Costco bought floor jack that has lost its lifting capability.
The lift occurs at the last portion of the lift stroke.
I have not used this jack much; it is at least 5 years old but mostly just sits.
Probably used less than 50 times.
It has leaked some hydraulic fluid...
Do I simply service it?

Thanks in advance...
I will check Youtube as well.

You already bought it, might as well service it. You should be servicing it every year or so anyway. That includes checking it over for rust and greasing the spots where the rollers are for the pistons.

If your jack has two pistons, I've noticed that on some jacks one of the piston cups get bound up and it will reduce the lifting power unless you use a flat head screwdriver to pop the other piston back up.

Fluid changes should be done every two years or so. Use a real hydraulic jack fluid like AW32. Some of these contain seal swellers that might stop your leak. If you're already leaking and you're planning on trashing the jack it won't hurt to try this. I've had POS Chinesium store brand jacks in the past that leaked, once I put new fluid in them (fluid that doesn't even advertise leak stopping) the leaks went away.

There should be a fill plug that you have to fill it through. Make sure when you fill it through the plug opening, you leave some way to allow air to escape, otherwise the fluid will hit an air bubble and just pour all over the place. It will not only make a mess it might fool you into think it's full.

There's also a bleeding process if you got air in it or if you're emptying the whole jack of fluid to do a total fluid change.

Go get a manual for that floor jack online before you do anything. That will tell you the location of the fill plug and bleeding process for that jack and everything. Don't even bother without finding the manual first, if you undo the wrong plug you might undo the check valve and lose the ball inside, then you're screwed.

A leaking floor jack shouldn't be a big deal. If it's leaking enough to affect lifting you will notice it. If the loss of lifting is creating a dangerous issue for you, you're doing it wrong since you're supposed to be using jack stands.

Thanks for all the help; I appreciate it.
I have 4 floor jacks and lotsa jack stands.
My oldest is 30+ years old, a steelie from a good parts store.
I cannot pick it up anymore.
I got a cheapie HF way back; it still works fine.
I have a newer HF that is not as good.
But I like the ability to bust 'em down and toss 'em in the truck.

I thought the aluminum Costco would be the best of both worlds.
But that has not been the case. Disappointing...
This will be a good little project for me; thanks again.

My Sears floor jack needed some jack hydraulic fluid after about 25 years. I bought a small container and it used only a portion. So I can save the rest for when it needs some again in 25 years. Oops, at 90 I may not worry about cars or driving.

I have to agree with this Frank. When anything used to lift or support a vehicle totally fails its usually a hair raiser.
Seriously though working on cars can be fun but you have to keep it safe especially when using anything to lift the vehicle or support it, lots of people have been hurt or killed using defective equipment or taking safety shortcuts.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I have to agree with this Frank. When anything used to lift or support a vehicle totally fails its usually a hair raiser.
Seriously though working on cars can be fun but you have to keep it safe especially when using anything to lift the vehicle or support it, lots of people have been hurt or killed using defective equipment or taking safety shortcuts.

Hair raiser? It will grow hair on a bald head. I won't take chances with something like a floor jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back