Servicing an Arcan floor jack?

I see conflicting info when I search this topic, and the manufacturer’s website (Arcan) offers no tips, users manuals, etc.

What is the best way to service one of these? Got it at Costco years back, at least 10 (the photo I copied below is that old). Now it is doing this:

- only providing lift the last few inches of arm travel
- not lifting very high

I imagine it is low on fluid and has air in the system. I have fresh clean tractor hydraulic fluid by the gallon on hand; no issue there. What is the proper proceedure to fill and bleed it? (Link is fine if someone knows of one - like I mentioned I keep seeing contradictory things when I search this topic).

It is this model (oil pic pulled from web):

884A1404-7B6F-44D1-93D4-6D8425F09D7B.jpeg

I just bleed my trolley jacks by opening the jack oil fill, add a little oil if it's real low, make sure the jack is in the release position (handle counter clockwise) and slowly move the jack handle up and down to bleed. Then add a little more oil if necessary. Rags are necessary, of course.

I just bleed my trolley jacks by opening the jack oil fill, add a little oil if it's real low, make sure the jack is in the release position (handle counter clockwise) and slowly move the jack handle up and down to bleed. Then add a little more oil if necessary. Rags are necessary, of course.

Thanks. The oil won’t be forced out if I fill it, then crank the handle? It will have the force to lift the arm with the fill holes open? These are the things that don’t make sense to me when I look at various things online - they never seem complete and hydraulics should not really work with orifices open IME. ;)

Thanks. The oil won’t be forced out if I fill it, then crank the handle? It will have the force to lift the arm with the fill holes open? These are the things that don’t make sense to me when I look at various things online - they never seem complete and hydraulics should not really work with orifices open IME. ;)
If everything is working properly on the jack, the jack will work fine with the fill hole open.

Most hydraulic systems have an open vent or “breather” in the reservoir to prevent vacuum/pressure build up in the reservoir. The open vent improves pumping lift efficiency, prolongs the life of the hydraulic seals, and also makes for a more controllable return of oil to the reservoir.

Many floor jacks come with a plug or screw instead of a vent/breather. Not having a vent prevents leakage of hydraulic fluid during shipping. It also has the benefit of preventing debris entering the reservoir.

This vid shows the basic idea of having a vent:

If everything is working properly on the jack, the jack will work fine with the fill hole open.

Most hydraulic systems have an open vent or “breather” in the reservoir to prevent vacuum/pressure build up in the reservoir. The open vent improves pumping lift efficiency, prolongs the life of the hydraulic seals, and also makes for a more controllable return of oil to the reservoir.

Many floor jacks come with a plug or screw instead of a vent/breather. Not having a vent prevents leakage of hydraulic fluid during shipping. It also has the benefit of preventing debris entering the reservoir.

This vid shows the basic idea of having a vent:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the basic explanation. From the things I saw, I thought the screws opened up into the piston bores. I did not realize they were in fact a tank above them. Thanks for clarifying.

One of my jacks won't just take oil. IIRC I had to get it to suck in oil with valve closed on one stroke, then open valve and return. Repeat. It's been awhile so I can't remember exactly.

It stumped me for way too long one night but I'm stubborn and kept trying until it made sense. Apparently I met my intellectual match: a floor jack. Hmmm.

You bleed the jack in the release position, not the raise position. The arm will not rise. Move the handle slowly and watch for bubbles.
Give it a try. Remember, slow, watch for bubbles and add a little oil. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Maybe @Trav can explain this better than I.

One of my jacks won't just take oil. IIRC I had to get it to suck in oil with valve closed on one stroke, then open valve and return. Repeat. It's been awhile so I can't remember exactly.

It stumped me for way too long one night but I'm stubborn and kept trying until it made sense. Apparently I met my intellectual match: a floor jack. Hmmm.

It sounds like the hole you were filling into did not go directly to the reservoir, but rather to one of the valves.

Thank all you guys. I did this today and the added stuff here helped.

- I opened the central screw (single screw on the big bore), as well as two higher bleed screws.
- Filled the lower screw with hydraulic fluid (Super S, to be complete). It took quite a lot of fluid IMO (but it was barely working at all to start), maybe 8/10 ozs.
- replaced the gasket on that screw and closed it, pumped the arm a few times.
- replaced the gaskets on the bleed screws and closed them.

Works about like new.

Used it afterwards to jack around 400/500lbs sections of a car lift flawlessly. (More on that in another thread).

Thanks for the help.

A824BFBB-776D-46E4-8584-2B2201783BA5.jpeg

Back