floor jack recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find odd (annoying?) is that HF sells so many different p/n's for each jack. I'm looking at a coupon for the 1.5T and it lists 5 different p/n's on it. Website shows the same thing.

Different p/n for each vendor who makes it? Some subtle change between them?

Edit: looked it up, not the only person to notice that. Probably from different vendors or different lots. Might explain why the same item can have a wide range of opinions, one vendor might do a better job than the other.

Last edited:
I've been using an Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack from Northern Tool for many years now with no complaints. They are still available at a good price and take a look a the reviews. Not many things with over 200 reviews that have a 4.8/5 star rating...

I use the Harbor Freight tools model But not the aluminium 'racing jack' model

Get the heavyweight steel one it has a much higher load rating and are rated more durable by the reviews on HF too. I have had mine for more than 10 years without a hiccup. Good luck whichever you pick.

My only other advice is never cut it too close to the 'pounds rating' of a jack which is why I would only use the HF steel heavy duty jack not the other one, the 'racing' jack.

Originally Posted By: supton
What I find odd (annoying?) is that HF sells so many different p/n's for each jack. I'm looking at a coupon for the 1.5T and it lists 5 different p/n's on it. Website shows the same thing.

Edit: looked it up, not the only person to notice that. Probably from different vendors or different lots. Might explain why the same item can have a wide range of opinions, one vendor might do a better job than the other.

They change suppliers all the time, if you read the reviews of their tools people mention it. That's also how they make it hard to fix their wares so you just replace it.

What Max said. My 30 year old grey color Sears floor jack still works great, though it is very heavy. The release is so finely tuned I can easily let it down in millimeters if necessary. If it ever goes bad, I’ll have It rebuilt at my local hydraulic shop.

I have a 2 ton Aluminum Arcan jack that works great. I splurged on the aluminum and am happy with it for the last few years. I'd probably grab the steel Arcan from Costco if I needed one right now.

I just bought a 3-ton jack from Harbor Freight for $83. I have yet to put it through its paces. The thing is made of steel and weighs 70 lbs. I don't lift it any more often than I have to. I would consider an aluminum jack if schlepping the jack around is an issue.

I had an aluminum Craftsman but it never worked correctly...should have taken it back but couldn't be bothered...I do have a Craftsman 3 ton which is over 30 years old..No leaks and works every time with no bleed down...

I highly recommend the Arcan Jack , I have it for almost ten years and it’s a real beast at a little over 90lbs. Picked it up at Costco for 130 (XL35) it came with an extra set of seals. tThey carry a similar one now for around $80 3 ton and only 70 lbs ,Northern Tools carries Arcan as well,read the reviews . I know it’s a heavy jack but the extra heft inspires confidence.

I've had a few different jacks, mostly craftsman, and currently my favorite one is the Harbor freight low profile rapid pump. Nicest Jack I've ever used anyhow.

I checked out the 1.5T jack, and despite being aluminum it's as heavy as the all steel 2T trolley jack. Which I have already. Granted, the 1.5T is low profile and rapid pump, so that might be a nice upgrade--but I don't see a clear cut advantage if not for the lower profile.

Watch on those low-profile (typically aluminum) jacks as they often can't lift as high. I considered one but we had an Odyssey at the time and the jack's max lift height seemed to barely reach high enough for use with that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: supton

Different/multiple vendors can also be due to manufacturing capacity - a single supplier may not be able to produce enough for HF's needs. Otherwise, the jacks with different part numbers should be identical, that is, made from the same design. HF gives them different part numbers for traceability (keeping track of defects, returns, etc and they can see if they're with units for a particular supplier).

HF also makes 3 different PN# for the Bug Zapper fly swatter ...do a search and you'll find the PN# of the one everyone prefers. Same may be true of jacks.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I really don't think you can go wrong with Harbor Freight jacks. They're quality items, and mine is going strong for over 4 years now, having lifted everything I've ever slid it under. Doesn't leak a drop.

The same jack can be cheaper at Costco under a different name, 100 bucks. I have one, no complaints.
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Forty year old Craftsman 2 ton built like a tank and repair kits available.

They don't make em like that anymore, cousin has a 3 ton that couldn't hold its' own weight after < a couple years.

I recently bought that yellow three ton Daytona jack from HF and every time I use it I like it more. I just saw a coupon for it in the current issue of Hot Rod to get it for 179 instead of 199. I might go get another one so I can rotate tires in record time.

I have bought two Arcan jacks at Costco .
One steel 3 ton 100 pound steel for the
garage.
And one 2 1/2 ton hybrid 55 pound
for the trunk on the road.
Moderate use with no trouble at around
$100 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back