Floor Jack Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a us-made cast iron 3-ton low profile jack. Heavier and larger than others, but US made and more heavy duty. Will last forever.

Yes I had jackstands
LOL.gif
I jacked up one side,left it on the stand and then it wouldn't jack up the other side. I was so
mad.gif

But I do see that sears has a decent looking 3 ton(I believe) on sale for $50 for black friday.

Sears has a 3-ton craftsman jack onsale tommorrow for 59.99.

Does anyone know if HF has a jack onsale?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I've been told to avoid Craftsman and take my chances with the Harbor Freight ones. Someone recommended this one to me:

Who is craftsman made by these days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jpatota
Originally Posted By: The Critic

I've been told to avoid Craftsman and take my chances with the Harbor Freight ones. Someone recommended this one to me:

Who is craftsman made by these days?

lowest bidder
LOL.gif

I've had a craftsman jack for about 4 years.

It has started to leak oil..

I would consider it a disposable tool.

I might look at the HF ones guys thanks.

I've had a 3 ton or so Sears 'SUV' floor jack for maybe four years now, works fine, I like the small pad as I can get it between stuff on the axles. It's used on the pickups. On the cars I typically use a Sears scissor jack as I don't mind also using it as a jack stand. I don't trust any hydraulic jack as a stand, and use wood blocking if it'll be up awhile. I also don't trust cheap metal jack stands.

I had one of the Harbor Freight 3-ton jacks that would leak down about 4 inches per hour. I took the check valve out and cleaned it and it seems to be ok for now. Hydraulic jacks don't just break, they can leak down slowly too. Always have something under a vehicle that is thicker than you are! I've made jack stands out of scrap pieces of 2x8's 24 inches long stacked up and nailed together into a solid block about 14 inches high. I don't try to exceed a height of twice the width of the wood. Cheap and effective. Also wood doesn't mar the chassis paint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back