Floor Jack Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this HF jack and I love it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

Have not had it that long but have had absolutely no problems with it at all. But I only paid about $55.00 for mine on sale. It works great lifting my truck which is a 2001 Dodge Dakota. I couldn't find any other jack with enough lift height for it for a reasonable price. Mine is also all orange, not yellow and black. But it works great.

I bought a michelin 3 1/2 ton floor jack at Sams Club for $70.

It will raise to the vehicle in one or two pumps. Its two speed. If there is no weight on it, it goes up really quick.

I've only had it a few months, but I'm very pleased with it so far.

Well there is some problem with the link I sent and the jack in the link Critic posted looks to be the same as mine. Sorry for the bad link. The jack really works well though.

I would 2nd Bob's notion on the AC Delco if you are going the Chinese route. My dad has it. The least expensive US made jack I could find was Hein-Werner model HW93642 2-ton for $318.70.

My Craftsman 3 ton is US made, but it's a few years old. Not a bad jack, I payed about forty dollars new IIRC.

I had the one pictured above by Harbor Freight, not worth 89 cents much less 89 bucks. The one that WM sells for about thirty five dollars is a better choice IMO.

You might try looking around at some local estate auctions, about 3 years ago I scored a Milwaukee model 40 for $115...

The jacks that SAMS or Costco sells (when they do stock them) are good jacks.

The Craftsman are good too....

I would never by from HF for this type of tool.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
The jacks that SAMS or Costco sells (when they do stock them) are good jacks.

The Craftsman are good too....

I would never by from HF for this type of tool.

If you search the very excellent Tool Forum at the Garage Journal site, you will discover the exact opposite of your last two statements.

Craftsman floor jacks have a very poor reputation due to their high return rate for leaking seals.

The Harbor Freight jacks seem to be working very well for everyone at this site, and they are big time tool aficionados. Harbor Freight is not quite the junk tool store that it used to be.

Other recommendations at the site include NAPA's Chinese model and the Hein Werner (Shin Fu) US made jack.

I believe the AC Delco jack is the same as NAPA's Chinese model. I have the 3-ton Hein Werner US jack, & it's been great so far. However, it is > $400. The 2-ton is > $300.

I think I'll visit HF next week and see what they have available.

Thanks everyone.

I have a 3 ton HF jack. No problems at all. It is a slower jack to get it elevated to the frame, but not a big deal. I had returned two [censored] jacks, each of which failed in 6 months (about 5 uses each) and just got my money back. I did buy the extended coverage at HF for $5 or $8 for 2 years. Total price was under $60.

I just got a "gm performance parts 2 1/2 ton" jack from WM. Jacked up one side of my car and it broke
mad.gif

Had to take it back and exchange it for another that had odviously been refurbished once already
frown.gif

^ That's scary. I have the same jack. It's a good thing you weren't under it at the time. I've used mine a few times, but my car weighed < 3200 lbs.

I have the very jack Critic posted the link to, and have had it for about a year and a half now, no problems. It has grease fittings as well, so it can be maintained. I maintain 3 cars with it (it's hard / impossible to get under the front end of my S2000 from the front, but fits fine under the front of my '06 Civic). The only issue is that the bolt used to fit the two halves of the handle together will loosen - but a longer bolt / nut will take care of that.

FWIW, this replaced a Craftsman 3 ton (also made in China) that broke after less than six uses (and it wasn't overloaded)...still within warranty, but with no receipt, no replacement / refund. Last non-hand tool I ever bought from Sears. I think I paid more for it than for the HF jack, too (which I did buy the warranty for, as well, after the Craftsman broke).

As I was prepared to go get a Milwaukee and spend $300-600 for it, I think the HF jack has been a decent buy for the money. I'd recommend it (can't say that for all of HF's offerings, but this one is OK).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back