flare nut wrench set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TurboTravis

Stock photo

I have a US made set in Metric and SAE, and haven't come across anything they couldn't handle yet. I do like the Snap-on set in the picture though.

Craftsman pro were either very good to excellent, some were made by Armstrong and a few by SK. I have a set of pro wrenches with a tiny K stamp = SK. Today they are Chinese scrap metal made to a bargain basement price point and don't even belong in the same conversation about quality tools.

Knowing you Frank I know you grabbed them at the same time Methuselah was out shopping and you kept them pristine all these years so no doubt they are the best ones Sears made.
lol.gif
I do exactly the same thing, he was buying a toaster the last time I was in there.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Craftsman pro were either very good to excellent, some were made by Armstrong and a few by SK. I have a set of pro wrenches with a tiny K stamp = SK. Today they are Chinese scrap metal made to a bargain basement price point and don't even belong in the same conversation about quality tools.

Knowing you Frank I know you grabbed them at the same time Methuselah was out shopping and you kept them pristine all these years so no doubt they are the best ones Sears made.
lol.gif
I do exactly the same thing, he was buying a toaster the last time I was in there.

You got that spot on buddy. I take care of all my stuff, the person who buys it when I die will be very happy with the condition of anything coming out of here.

Bringing this back up, but I've been looking for a set of line/flare wrenches that include a 7mm wrench. My G35 has that size on the rear. The fronts are either 8mm or 9mm and my wife's Fusion has 10mm (at least on the front). Those sizes are easy enough to get in a set although usually with larger sizes that I'll probably never have a need for.

Can you use 9/32" instead ? Not sure if that's even commonly available....

Off-hand, anyone know what size brake bleeders a '12 Accord V6 has ?

Originally Posted by andyd
How much old brake work do you do to justify that kinda coin? Here's a factoid I learned from living in the land of road salt. If you cant remove a brake hose or unscrew a line fitting with a decent open end, its junk, cut the hard line with dikes and use a 6 point socket. Once or twice I've saved the line but it usually gets fatigued and is iffy at best.
grin2.gif

I've had too many cars where someone tried to "fix" something with the wrong tool, like an open end wrench on a tight fitting. The open end wrench will tend to collapse the tube nut, which binds the threads even tighter, then you round off the fitting, and then attack it with vise-grips. A good professional flare wrench is a much cheaper option in the long run!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Not quite the answer you are looking for, but I recently did 08 Accord braked and didn't have the right size flare. Just used a 6 point socket to loosen and then an open end to lightly open/close for fluid replacement. Final torque with the socket.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Somehow from memory i'm thinking the fronts are 10mm and the rears are 8mm, But i can't swear to it. For bleeders a regular box end works well. 6 point preferably.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY
Not quite the answer you are looking for, but I recently did 08 Accord braked and didn't have the right size flare. Just used a 6 point socket to loosen and then an open end to lightly open/close for fluid replacement. Final torque with the socket.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Somehow from memory i'm thinking the fronts are 10mm and the rears are 8mm, But i can't swear to it. For bleeders a regular box end works well. 6 point preferably.
On my Infiniti, I also used a 6-pt socket to break loose and final tighten and it was fine. The bleeders open quite easily. I then used a box wrench to open/close them while bleeding. On my wife's Fusion, I used a 6-pt socket on the fronts but on the rears, the bleeders are kinda buried underneath and behind different components and I wasn't able to get my socket on it. My Craftsman and GearWrench wrenches are 12-pt and I always play it safe and stopped before I snapped it off or rounded it off.

I suppose a 10mm (for the Fusion) would be all I need after all and continue to use sockets. Haven't looked at the Accord's bleeders yet to see if they're easy to access.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back