First Trip to a Harbor Freight Store...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm generally pretty trusting in my tools... but I can be hard on them to a degree. Nothing makes me happier than geting a cool new tool... nothing make me more upset when I get let down by a tool that doesn't get the job done.

I do try to read the reviews... and having played with many a tool, I set Sears Craftsman as "Par"... there's better, there's worse.. HF's line of stuff just doesn't seem to make par many times. Yeah, it has gotten better... and yeah, I like bargains.... but I hate having to buy a tool twice.

I bought a torque multiplier to remove lug nuts easier. WRONG!!! I brought back two and had enough. I also bought a 4" angle grinder, so far, no problems.
As many do here, I buy HF when I need a tool once in a while and don't want to sink lots of $ into it, and hope it doesn't fail me as I use it. I buy USA made if I'll use it often or on the job.

I have THE solution to your lug nut problem. Permatex Anti-Sieze. Paint your bolts with them.. I can get mine off with even a 1/2in Ratchet. I usually just use a breaker bar though. The Permatex is great for keeping things from sticking with rust and stuff.

SOME stuff from HF is good.

The BEST thing I have bought was the US General tool cabinet (rolling kind). $399, sometime 359. Either way, it is WELL worth the money!!!

Yeah... the cabinets are not a joke... I'll give you that. I actually got a better cabinet price at Sears with some special kick-back 100$ credit.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I have THE solution to your lug nut problem. Permatex Anti-Sieze. Paint your bolts with them.. I can get mine off with even a 1/2in Ratchet. I usually just use a breaker bar though. The Permatex is great for keeping things from sticking with rust and stuff.

One should NOT use grease or anti-sieze on lug nuts. Maybe loosen them up one by one once and awhile.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Yeah... the cabinets are not a joke... I'll give you that. I actually got a better cabinet price at Sears with some special kick-back 100$ credit.

What kind of drawers to the HF tool cabinets have? Slide or ball bearing?

I was at HF a few days ago, I checked out the tool box selection, most of the boxes all had ball bearing slides. They do have some very good quality boxes there, seem to me to be every bit as good as Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. I especially liked this one, it is a very well made box, very similar to some of the professional boxes that cost a lot more:

http://www.harborfreight.com/56-inch-11-drawer-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html

I like this combo a lot too:

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-8-drawer-roller-cabinet-with-8-drawer-top-chest-67831.html

If I needed a new box that is the one I would buy. The HF boxes have really come a long way in quality, construction and the price is right too, even without any coopins or store discounts.

Originally Posted By: Donald

One should NOT use grease or anti-sieze on lug nuts. Maybe loosen them up one by one once and awhile.

This is going to be one of those long involved ones. For those of us in the Rust belt, a little bit helps. Here's a discussion of it.
Anti-Seize on lug nuts discussion

I personally use it on all kinds of things when re-assembling. We're in a rust-belt area... it has saved us much time and effort, and I don't feel in the quantity we used it there was any danger. I have 7-8 vehicles under my watch that have been treated with the cheap permatex stuff. No reported issues... just reported benefits.

I use anti-sieze on my wheel studs too, have been using it for years, never had even one single loose nut, broken wheel stud or any other kind of problem.

HF is great for the tool you occasionally use and things like gloves and earplugs. For example I got a set of deep sockets and a wrench set for the price of a single one anywhere else. They also have handy things like serpentine belt tool or an extra scissor jack. I've purchased one or two items I wasn't satisfied with and they took them back no problem.

Don't forget to check any car magazine for a 20% off coupon or a coupon for a free flashlight or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back