First pistol recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Hey all,

I am hoping you can recommend a pistol to a newbie. I have never owned a pistol, however have shot a few semi-automatics.

I am specifically interested in a semi-automatic. It will be used for home defense and target. I definitely want a full-size pistol as smaller pistols feel cramped in my hand and I want something that will help me be more accurate.

I know one of the primary questions some will have is what caliber? This is also where I am looking for suggestions. What is a good caliber for a new pistol owner? My NRA instructor suggested a .22 if I am on a budget or a .40 if money is not as much as a concern.

My fear is buying a .22, learning how to shoot accurately and then wishing I got a larger caliber. However, I am also not the type who would go to a range and fire off a box in 15 minutes. I'd shoot slowly and accuracy would be my main focus. I'd spend a lot of time dry-firing before wasting money learning. I am not interested in a glock.

I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: Budget ~$500

This topic is really no different that "which oil to use" or "which stereo speak is best" ...

You need to do a better job of defining your goals and needs and wants, because none of those are the same thing.

You are not going to find a "target" weapon that will suffice for a home defense weapon, or vice-versa. Target weapons are designed for one task; they will end up having specialized triggers, bbls, etc.

What you probably will be happy with (my presumption of your "need") is a good all-around, multi-purpose gun.

Here is what I think you should consider for shopping criteria:
- full size (no need for a shrunken gun if you're not going to conceal it - you didn't mention it so I'm ruling it out). Full size allows good shooting skills to develop via full hand control and good sight radius. Full size allows for large mag capacity which is important in defense mode (fewer mag changes, if necessary).
- 9mm cal because it bridges the gap between a decent (not the "best" but certainly "good enough") stopping power and reasonably inexpensive to shoot (by far the cheapest to buy when it comes to bulk ammo for any centerfire handgun round)
- not .22lr because, while it's very cheap to get ammo and it's a lot of fun, it does not qualify as a good man-stopper for defense (staying true to your "needs" list)
- pick from any well-known brand name of weapon maker; Glock, S&W, Sig, Beretta, etc, etc. (This is like choosing oil - we may not all agree on the "best", but we all can agree that many are "good enough")

My personal preference is the Glock, because of their ultra-simple design (KISS maximized more than any other handgun), and their cost (especially used) would easily fall into your budget.

You can perhaps buy a nice used .22 pistol to start with, and then once you become comforable with it, trade it in for a 9mm later. That would allow you to "buy up" as your skills and confidence increase. And, you'd lose only a small amount of equity in the first gun when moving to the second gun, especially if you buy used. Or, there are some options where you can buy a 9mm now, and get a ".22 conversion kit" that allows you to practice with the cheaper ammo. However, that second option calls for more initial money (gun + convesion kit = $$$$$) that you probably want to spend.

One other thing I'll caution you on; dry firing. That is often very hard on some gun designs, and especially hard on the .22 guns because the nose of the firing pin gets beaten down after repeated dry firing. Get some "snap caps" or other type practice dummy rounds. Also, get more than one, because you have to cycle the action with a semi-auto to reset the action, and you'll get quickly frustrated by having to "reload" a single snap cap each time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Get either a 9mm Glock 17 or 9mm CZ75B.

9mm ammo is the cheapest full size pistol caliber.

A 4" 357 revolver would be a better choice for a beginner, but ammo is more expensive. A 357 mag revolver can shoot low powered 38 Special, but you can load 357 mag ammo for defense purposes.

You don't have to disassemble a revolver to clean it, so you don't have to worry about putting it together wrong. You, and the bad guy, can tell in an instant if it is loaded. The trigger pull is usually smoother. If you get a fail to fire, just pull the trigger again to cycle a new round: You don't have to rack the slide to cycle a new round.

Last edited:
I would suggest a 9mm due to less recoil and ammo price. I have a Springfield XDM .40 subcompact great little gun. I also have a Sig Sauer P226. I have put probably 7000 rounds through the Sig with no malfunction. I carry this gun on duty, (Law Enforcement). Hold the guns in your hand and whatever feels the best and see if the shops will let u shoot them. whatever feels the best to u get that one.

Don't use .22 for home defense it is only good for plinking. Use 9mm, .40 or .45. Practice a lot and get proficient.

I can recommend a Ruger SR 40 in .40 S&W. Good gun, the .40 hits hard, and has more capacity than a .45. If you don't plan to do more than shoot 50 rounds/month; I'd honestly advise a revolver. You MUST practice often with an automatic so that jams and stovepipes can be cleared without lots of thought.
I can honestly recommend Kathy Jackson's www.corneredcat.com for how to think about armed self defense. Remember this especially; it isn't the brand of gun or the type of round that makes you safer!!!! It's your attitude coupled with your preparation. ONE LAST THING!!!! KNOW YOUR LOCAL LAWS!!!

CZ75B-not plastic-3,000 rounds thru mine and not one,repeat NOT ONE jam,ftf,fte using every 9mm ammo from soup to nuts-incredible reliability. Used by more military and police worldwide than even the mighty (ugly,plastic) Glock!

For my first pistol, I went with a very lightly used Ruger P89 9mm pistol. It was made in 1994 and I got it from the original owner in the original case and everything. The previous owner had a ported Laser Aim barrel for it, but I actually prefer the original barrel which also came with the gun. It had clearly been well cared for and worked out to be a perfect first pistol for me. The value of these Rugers is about $250-$325 depending on condition, and I paid $300.

It's not really a good CC gun or something you can just put in your pocket. It's big and chunky for a 9mm, but it's actually easy to handle and I find it very comfortable to shoot. It's great for plinking, and 9mm ammo is relatively cheap.

Also, while kind of an entry level gun, it has a really quality feel to it. It's all metal, and everything operates very precisely. I feel it's a gun I could keep for the rest of my life and it will probably always work. No jams in the time I've had it. It doesn't like some aftermarket magazines though. The OE Ruger ones always work perfectly.

9x18 is $3+ per box more than 9mm online and hardly available in many places, and way more expensive when you can find it. While the selection of 9X18 isn't super bad, it's nothing like ubiquitous 9x19 with so many varieties of ammo, even in bulk.

Plus, the 9X19 is a higher pressure, better ballistic round.

Mentioned before, but also consider a 4 or 6" Ruger GP100 357 mag. No question a proven round (125 or 158g gold dots). The looks of the darn thing would scare away most bad guys. Shoot 38 Specials in it all day long for relatively cheap. Easy to learn to shoot. When If you get tired of it and want to move to a semi auto, do doubt you can sell it for what you paid.

gp100-002.jpg

Or the older Security Six Ruger. I have one and prefer it to a new GP100 with a more "lawyer friendly" trigger. Ruger wheelguns are nice and practical guns.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Why? My first pistol was a Makarov.

Ammo has been getting more expensize.

Sad but true. Used to be dirt cheap. Now it costs as much as 9mm. Sometimes more. It's too bad, because my CZ82 is a great gun that I love to shoot. It's just getting a tad expensive.

This whole caliber thing is somewhat overblown IMO. Yes, the gunfight was tragic (1986 FBI shootout). One of the bad guys was a former Army Ranger (tough guy). I have seen three people shot with 9mms. None were very happy about it. For the record, two dead, one wounded. Pistols are wounders regardless of caliber. I carry a .40 or a .38. .38= weaker than 9mm. Thats ok, I will do my part (shoot until threat is eliminated).

Last edited:
The 86 FBI shootout where the agents had 9mm guns were back in the day before modern JHP ammo. The new bonded jacket stuff like Gold Dots are lightyears better than what they had in 86. Sure there are more powerful alternatives, but 9mm offers a great balance of power, capacity, light recoil, and economy.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
If you can only purchase one, my suggestion would be a Walther PPQ in 9mm. Full sized, striker fired. 15 round magazine capacity. One of the best, if not the best, trigger out of the box. Crisp break and short reset. Sights area easily adjustable and/or replaceable by the owner without a sight pusher. Magazine release is ambidextrous, but located on the trigger guard. Make sure you try this out before you buy. I like it, but not everyone else does. Can be had for a little over $500. Check with various online dealers. Buds gun shop is one (I am affiliated with none.)

There are tons of discussions on caliber for home/self defense. Current 9mm offerings from Speer, Hornady etc provide excellent terminal ballistics. 9mm offers fairly low recoil. Practice ammo is fairly cheap.

I have owned, or still own, Glocks (G19 and G26), Sig P228, HK (P2000, P2000SK, and P30). The Walther PPQ is the most ergonomic with replaceable backstraps and the most accurate. I only have about 800 rounds through it, but have had no failures. But should you have any problems, Smith and Wesson, the importer, has excellent customer service. So does Glock, by the way, should you choose one.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for my first pistol, and when I was at a local gun shop last Friday to put my hands on some I've been looking at, the guy working there also spoke very highly of the PPQ and brought it my attention even though I wasn't looking for a full size. I came in looking for compacts, particularly the M&P9c (I'd like to carry eventually) but he pointed out the PPQ since I am a relatively green shooter said basically the same thing as MajorCavalry about the trigger and ergonomics. He also suggested the H&K P30 just for its grip for a beginner, if you are willing to spend the money.

FWIW, he also had good things to say about M&P, and I liked the feel of it in my hand. I'm leaning towards it, and one shop online actually has a great price on it right now. I like the P30 and PPQ as well. To me, the Glock 26 and 19 just don't feel comfortable in my hand. Maybe it because I am a smaller guy with smaller hands. I like the P2000SK as well, but the dealer suggested it is probably not worth the price over the M&P if I get a compact. This guy in particular was not high on the XDm when I asked about it, and very quickly said I'd be better off with the M&P.

As much as I would like to take advantage of the good price on the M&P9c, I am going to try and get to a range first and rent one to make sure I don't hate firing it. Or maybe just get a full size and save the compact/CCW purchase for another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back