Firefox 19 - returning memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice FF 19 returning memory after closing tabs? Something other version(s), other browsers wouldn't do. I'm completely stock now except for a few extensions. No tinkering with performance anymore. Leaving disk cache at defaults and resetting with each upgrade appears to help. Seems like when I mess with disk cache or the custom history options (delete on close, etc) the memory usage gets out of whack. Right now I can open 20 tabs, get up to 600-700mb of memory, kill all the tabs, back down to 180mb in a minute or 2. Means no more closing the browser every so often.

Memory leaks are not that uncommon. You get storage upon entry and never release it. Or free less than you got. Java prevents most memory leaks, but C or C++ does not.

The bad memory leaks are when memory is obtained for an event and never released. After the event has happened a zillion times, the memory is exhausted.

Assuming in most cases a memory leak is pageable memory, then in awhile it will paged out (or thrown away) so if you have enough disk space you are probably OK.

Last edited:
I switched to Chrome many Firefox versions ago but I still play with Firefox. I'm on 18, I didn't even know 19 came out. I'll give it a go. Hopefully with this update they can shake their reputation as a memory hog
smile.gif

Leaks or no leaks, memory is generally pretty cheap and easy to acquire more than you need. Having 16GB, I'm only using 1/4 of that with 35 Chrome tabs and a bunch of other programs on Windows 7. I learned a long time ago that it sucks running out of memory. It's one of the most common upgrades to computers that I do and also one of the easiest and cheapest.

Google will never bully me into using chrome. The evil "Install Google Chrome" button has been hacked out of their search page so they can't annoy me/force me to install their intrusive chrome product. Feel the same way about Google trying to take over as I did when Microsoft tried to take over the browser business. A threat to choices. As far as memory use anyone who thinks chrome uses less memory than FF is sorely mistaken. Enough talking about the internet monarchy.

Anyways I have no memory leaks. What I'm describing is the use of memory for tabs which is given back when they close. Memory is cycling nicely. I don't care about themes, I get rid of the menu bar too.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Feel the same way about Google trying to take over as I did when Microsoft tried to take over the browser business. A threat to choices.

Chrome does not attempt to supplant global standards. Microsoft's IE was both horrendous at adhering to standards and was downright abusive in it's implementations of IE-only technoligies.

Chrome's rising popularity neither threatens nor impedes anyone's ability to choose anything; IE's did. Chrome is built on the Chromium Project, which is OPEN SOURCE, for Pete's sake (Google then adds proprietary technologies like Flash and a PDF reader, which are not open source-compatible, and brands "Chromium" as "Chrome"). How does this threaten anything?

Can you give us any examples as to how Google attempted to "force" you to do anything? How about an example of how our "choice is threatened"?

uc50ic4more above nails it. Google is just advertising their browser on their search page. I think it's odd that you feel Chrome is intrusive yet you still use the Google search engine? If you're worried about Google harvesting your information and using it in evil ways, I would stop using their search page. The thing is though, while they do harvest information, it's not necessarily specific to YOU, it's specific to your computer. If you use Incognito mode in Chrome, everything is defaulted. Everything custom about your usage is gone.

Like uc50ic4more said, Chrome is really great in that it's Open Source and Google actively encourages people to hack it, giving out rewards for security breaches. Not to mention, it's built with the latest web standards and all the code is out there for anybody to see. Updates for the stable branch are done every 2 weeks or every month, I forget which. Microsoft takes forever to update Internet Explorer and certainly doesn't put as much effort into their updates.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Firefox because I haven't extensively used a modern version but there's a good reason why Chrome is becoming the #1 browser, if not #1 already (which it is on a few charts).

Also, I have to say, I don't think there's a lot wrong with IE9. It's actually pretty nice, but I like Chrome better
smile.gif
While IE9 does handle some new standards, the web is changing so rapidly, it requires a frequently updated browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back