Firearms storage

If you have several firearms where do you store them? Besides a safe? Looking for suggestions.. No Children to be concerned with.
Handguns? Get a filing cabinet or extra dresser.

For me, most guns are in hardened safes. I recommend the company Sturdy, from California. I find them to make outstanding high quality safes at a reasonable price. Thick steel, excellent designs and locks. Great company to work with. Mine are positioned to be impossible to carry out, and the steel is so thick it would take significant effort to break into, and store gunpowder so dangerous to cut. Plus I'm rarely not home. No possible way someone is getting in my safes unless I'm dead and they have endless time.

You can use the thin/cheap residential security containers but generally they are a waste of money, except to keep people honest and kids out of. Handguns can go in small metal lock boxes. Cheap solution to simply keep accountability of items.

Of course you can hide guns in any areas you can think of, false hidden storage panels, bread boxes, wall safes, under the mattress, in drawers, whatever.

I have a few select select loaded guns in locations ready for deployment in an instant notice. No kids so I don't worry about that. No crime in my area, and work from home mostly, so not significantly concerned of theft.

10 pistols and where to put them ? … when I got to that point I gave some to family members for their self defense - I keep others within easy reach … Only long guns in safe …

Metal gun cabinets. Not quite a safe but decent protection. If scrouts want in, they will get in, regardless if its a safe or a cabinet.
I have 2 upright gun safes. A Cannon and a fancier, larger Liberty. It has the deluxe interior and the high gloss automotive paint finish. The problems with these upright gun safes are several.

First, even with the larger more expensive models the capacity isn't that great. They also are not waterproof. (Water damage exceeds theft in homes in many areas of the country).

Also, they can easily be tipped over unless they're securely bolted to the slab. And unless you have the builders plans to your home, and know exactly where all your plumbing and electrical is routed in your slab, you're playing Russian Roulette by drilling into it.

I quickly outgrew both of mine. So I've gone to these "On Site" tool boxes that are offered at places like Home Depot or Lowe's. They offer a good degree of protection at an affordable cost. And they all come in varying sizes and lengths to suit your needs.

They are completely waterproof up to the lid. And they can be easily disguised with a throw, or a bedspread, and "be hidden in plain sight", as they say.

Yes, a determined thief can pry into one...... Just as they can a standard gun safe. But insurance statistics show that most residential, middle class home burglaries are committed by kids under the age of 16. And most are in the home for just a couple of minutes. "Smash & Grab" type of hits.

These type of boxes will offer a good degree of protection from that. I keep mine in a room with the door closed when anyone comes over. The fewer people you advertise you have guns to, the less chance you'll have in receiving an unwanted visitor.

I had a friend who got all his guns stolen while he was away on a business trip. He had a heavy gun safe bolted on the floor - they stole the safe and the guns.

I had a friend who got all his guns stolen while he was away on a business trip. He had a heavy gun safe bolted on the floor - they stole the safe and the guns.
A safe won't stop pros. It will stop dopers though.

Another thing to consider with the purchase of a gun safe is a home security system, or even a Ring Video Doorbell.

Thieves hate security systems and video surveillance. Both will help stop them before they gain entrance.

Adding additional lighting around the perimeter of your home also helps in sending thieves from your home, to someone else's.

I went into tractor supply, and take a look around, they had their Winchester safe on sale, and I was able to put that on layaway, until I get my truck out of the shop at the end of the week, I had one like this, for nearly 10 years, but that was back when Sams club sold them sold many years ago, but I had to let it go when I moved, same thing with a Liberty safe I had I couldn't afford to move it, Off the second floor..

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-26-gun-ts26-45

I have heard stories of entire safes being taken, more than once. I only heard once about a bolted safe being taken. Chain around safe, to some vehicle and pulled out and ripped through the house.
If I'm not mistaken, that's how the whole Pamela Anderson, Tommy Lee sex tape found it's way on to the Internet. Thieves broke into their home, and stole the entire gun safe that Tommy Lee had.... The infamous sex tape was in it.

Like a kid telling another kid and another kid overhears kind of thing.
If you're a parent with a good looking teenage daughter, she is the biggest threat to your guns. Boys will come-a-calling. They are attracted to guns. They see and talk way too much. Before you know it, you'll have an unwanted visitor.

Since my kids are all gone there now more accessible to get too. I always have the night stand one.

How did they rip it off the floor?
A jack or some kind of equipment. When I moved I had a loades 1000 lb safe [ unbolted from the floor] moved and loaded into the moving van by 4 men.

Back