Filters - Wix, Purolator Pure, Napa Gold, Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments on filters would be appreciated. Due to my hi-mileage driving, I'm going to go with extended OCIs (10K - 15K).

I'll use PP, M1, or AMS in my new '08 Civic. Please tell me a little about the quality of the above mentioned filters. How good they are and if they will go over 10k highway miles. Thanks!!

I dont know much about the PP or Napa Gold filters. Wix makes a very good filter as Amsoil sells their filters. But IMO I feel the thing that sets Amsoil apart from other oil makers is their filter technology, as they use syntheic nanofiber filter media. Donaldson acutally came up with the process of the nanofiber media for the US Army M1-A Tank. They us a very large Donaldson filter for the air inlet system for the turbine powerplant. Just my two cents, others may think I'm partial to Amsoil as I use and sell it but I do think their filter technology is way ahead of everybody else. You might want to check out their air filters as well.

Originally Posted By: Jeff70
others may think I'm partial to Amsoil as I use and sell it but I do think their filter technology is way ahead of everybody else. You might want to check out their air filters as well.

Most of us also thing its overkill. :)

It may be for some. I wouldn't use it if I wasn't either into extended drains or did high enough mileage to get my money's worth out of it.
21.gif

True true. My cars get changed every 5,000 miles and the filters are from autozone specials so I wouldnt consider a filter I had to order and wait for.

If the owners manual allows, I would change the oil and filter every 10K - using the Honda brand filter. When the warranty expires, shop other filter brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
If the owners manual allows, I would change the oil and filter every 10K - using the Honda brand filter. When the warranty expires, shop other filter brands.

Why wait till the warranty expires? I bought my Stang with 8K on it, @ 10K I put Amsoil in it, @ about 18K I put Amsoil Universal ATF and the Amsoil 75-140(<---much cheaper than anything else on the market) lube in the rear end(without adding the friction modifier, with no problems, now its @ 66K). Running extedned drain intervals in and of itself does not affect your warranty. You need to go read about the Magnuson-Moss Act.

But IMO I feel the thing that sets Amsoil apart from other oil makers is their filter technology, as they use syntheic nanofiber filter media.

That is a big marketing word that means nothing. Nanofiber could be anything they want it to be. Fram could call their media PicoFiber or something. I am not bashing Amsoil, so don't get mad, I just laugh at some of the marketing [censored] that people dream up.

Last edited:
You need to go read about the Magnuson-Moss Act.

No thank You! I you want to go thru all that - if/when an issue arises, that's your call. I change my synthetic and mid-level filter every 5K.

I only mentioned the 10K option - because the thread-starter wants to run his oil that long. I concur the Amsoil filter is the best on this planet - plus great to use to limit the amount of time underneath our vehicles.. I just don't concur that it's worth around $16 for 10K of service. That's why I suggested mid-grade OEM.

If he's hung on 15K OCIs, then go with the Amsoil or Mobil-1.

Last edited:
Running extedned drain intervals in and of itself does not affect your warranty. You need to go read about the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Don't read "about" it. When you read about it you are reading self serving blurbs written by people trying to sell you something. Read the M-M yourself.

After you actually read M-M, go back and read some of those self serving interpretations and ask yourself how they tortured M-M into saying that.
shocked2.gif

I won't quote the aforementioned MM Act. Extended drains don't violate your warranty. They can put it in question if a lubrication related issue arises. The manufacturer's rep (aka, the dealer) is always going to look for any exemption from providing warranty coverage. They lose money at it (profit lost is money lost
21.gif
). However, for them to TRULY be off the hook, they must prove that the oil was at fault for the alleged failure. This can be convoluted to they just saying "you did extended drains, we're blaming the oil and you're screwed" ..so, if effect, you end up challenging their (perhaps/most likely) false exemption by proving otherwise ..or at least they attempt to put you in this position.

That said, there aren't too many people that have ever experienced lubrication related failures even in the presence of neglect and ignorance. Before any catastrophic failure occurs, only an idiot would not have some indication that something was "unright". Whenever I get a new customer, I highly recommend UOA to see if there's a coolant issue ..etc..etc...and I thoroughly assess their service duty.

Quote:
I won't quote the aforementioned MM Act.

Few who refer to what it does do quote it.
grin2.gif
48.gif

Fewer have actually read it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
But IMO I feel the thing that sets Amsoil apart from other oil makers is their filter technology, as they use syntheic nanofiber filter media.

That is a big marketing word that means nothing. Nanofiber could be anything they want it to be. Fram could call their media PicoFiber or something. I am not bashing Amsoil, so don't get mad, I just laugh at some of the marketing [censored] that people dream up.

Amsoil did not engineer this technology. Donaldson did, and I suspect they shared this info with amsoil or they make their filters for them. This technology was used by the US Army, for the Air Intake on the M1 Abrams Tank. As you probaly already know, the M-1 Abrams tank has a turbine(jet) engine in it, so any ingestion of dirt or sand can casue havoc to the compreesor blades. You might think it's all a bunch of marketing B/S, but I have been in the Avaition/turbine engine field for all of my adult life, and if there's one thing I know, its that sand and compressor blades dont mix.....So before you start playing the marketing B/S card, maybe you should educate yourself a bit, as Donaldson is probaly the world leader in filter technology....

Here's your marketing B/S..........

.....and you say don't get mad.I rarely get mad I just like to make people look stupid, as you tried to do to me.....

Jeff

Donaldson licensed their SYNTEQ process to Amsoil. Amsoil is producing their own media with that process. They call it Nano-fiber.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info....so Amsoil actually makes their own filters? I was under the impression that Donaldson made the media and Wix canned it...

Page 6 of the link I provided above shows the Ultraweb nanofober.....Donaldson's name for the fiber......You seem to be very keen on all this oil related stuff Gary, how long you been at it. Oh and thank you for answering my PM about UAO's I'll post the one from the blown motor as soon as I get the results.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

Amsoil did not engineer this technology. Donaldson did, and I suspect they shared this info with amsoil or they make their filters for them. This technology was used by the US Army, for the Air Intake on the M1 Abrams Tank. As you probaly already know, the M-1 Abrams tank has a turbine(jet) engine in it, so any ingestion of dirt or sand can casue havoc to the compreesor blades. You might think it's all a bunch of marketing B/S, but I have been in the Avaition/turbine engine field for all of my adult life, and if there's one thing I know, its that sand and compressor blades dont mix.....So before you start playing the marketing B/S card, maybe you should educate yourself a bit, as Donaldson is probaly the world leader in filter technology....

Here's your marketing B/S..........

.....and you say don't get mad.I rarely get mad I just like to make people look stupid, as you tried to do to me.....

Jeff

I had no intent on making anyone look stupid, all I said is that marketing terms can mean anything they want them to mean. You are taking this a little personal aren't you?... Unless you were the guy that invented the term NanoFiber.

Maybe stupid was kind of a harsh word on my part.....Maybe I should has used naive, as that would have been a much better adjective in this case. Before I make a contraoversial statement I try and read up on it and then state it as IMO or something similar.

And if someone can find a way to spin a pico-fiber, they are very likely going to be very rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back