WIX WL-10102/Napa Gold 400102/HG 52114 PRICE!!

While I was changing the filters and doing the engine oil change, I left the jugs of hydro fluid in direct sunlight, shaking them a couple times to help distribute the heat. After opening the vent port on top of the hydro, it took less than 10 min per side to fill.

I have ZT3100s and it’s definitely tight to get a ratchet and socket in there to remove the vent plug; I found the S-shaped wrenches make it much easier for both angle of access and vertical clearance. 👍🏻
That’s a good idea to let the oil jugs warm in the sun.

I forgot to tell you - I tried getting to the side ports in this Gravely. One side is almost touchable the right is blocked. Just took some serious patience, fill and wait, run, run in N, etc......overnight sit, top off and perfect fill. Mowed Saturday, love it.
Did you cut the old filters?

I've got a Hustler zero-turn with Hydrogear 2800's. I have been using Stens 120-738, but last time I wanted to buy some the price had jumped to about the same price as the HG ones. So I kept looking for a better deal and I came across these that are branded LASER and are imported by a company in PA. These are specifically made to replace the HG 52114. These are sold by a few mower specialty places online at about $5 bucks each. Looks like a quality filter, but definitely made in China. It has a metal core and looks good from what I can see from the outside. I haven't cut one open yet, but I will on my next change. It does have an ADBV, but that doesn't seem to matter. It states it's rated for 25 microns. I've been running these for about 5 hours and so far the mower performs just like always, so I don't think the ADBV is restricting the flow. Anybody recognize who might be making these?

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg

temp4.jpg

I've got a Hustler zero-turn with Hydrogear 2800's. I have been using Stens 120-738, but last time I wanted to buy some the price had jumped to about the same price as the HG ones. So I kept looking for a better deal and I came across these that are branded LASER and are imported by a company in PA. These are specifically made to replace the HG 52114. These are sold by a few mower specialty places online at about $5 bucks each. Looks like a quality filter, but definitely made in China. It has a metal core and looks good from what I can see from the outside. I haven't cut one open yet, but I will on my next change. It does have an ADBV, but that doesn't seem to matter. It states it's rated for 25 microns. I've been running these for about 5 hours and so far the mower performs just like always, so I don't think the ADBV is restricting the flow. Anybody recognize who might be making these?

View attachment 215302

View attachment 215303

View attachment 215304

View attachment 215305
Having an ADBV could cause a problem. Every aftermarket replacement and the Hydo-Gear do not have an ADBV.

Having an ADBV could cause a problem. Every aftermarket replacement and the Hydo-Gear do not have an ADBV.
I realize it really doesn't need an ADBV since the filter is at the bottom of the Hydro. But I really don't see a reason it would be a problem unless it restricts flow, which would also be a problem for every filter that uses an ADBV. So far, I've found only positive comments from users of this filter. Time will tell.

I realize it really doesn't need an ADBV since the filter is at the bottom of the Hydro. But I really don't see a reason it would be a problem unless it restricts flow, which would also be a problem for every filter that uses an ADBV. So far, I've found only positive comments from users of this filter. Time will tell.
Hydro-Gear doesn’t specify an ADBV for their filters. Therefore, reputable aftermarket suppliers do not have them in their direct replacement filters. I would not use those Laser filters. I would use Hydro-Gear, WIX/NAPA, Rotary, or Stens.

Hydro-Gear doesn’t specify an ADBV for their filters. Therefore, reputable aftermarket suppliers do not have them in their direct replacement filters. I would not use those Laser filters. I would use Hydro-Gear, WIX/NAPA, Rotary, or Stens.
I think deleting the ADBV was a way to charge more since they are "special". I can see no reason the ADBV would cause a problem. In fact, the mower works as good as ever with them. But the ADBV was not my question.
Have any idea who actually made this filter?

I think deleting the ADBV was a way to charge more since they are "special". I can see no reason the ADBV would cause a problem. In fact, the mower works as good as ever with them. But the ADBV was not my question.
Have any idea who actually made this filter?
I have no idea who made it.
The Hydro-Gear filter and the direct aftermarket replacements are hydraulic filters and not automotive engine oil filters. There is no need for an ADBV.

The Hydro-Gear filter and the direct aftermarket replacements are hydraulic filters and not automotive engine oil filters. There is no need for an ADBV.
I think I already said that in my very first post.
I already said that. Who are you trying to convince? This is a direct replacement. It even says so right on the filter. These hydros use motor oil, not hydraulic fluid, so the main difference from an engine oil filter is the filter media catches finer particles. This filter is rated at 25 microns just like the HG filter. You haven't shown any reason why the ADBV would be a problem except because you say so.

I think I already said that in my very first post.

I already said that. Who are you trying to convince? This is a direct replacement. It even says so right on the filter. These hydros use motor oil, not hydraulic fluid, so the main difference from an engine oil filter is the filter media catches finer particles. This filter is rated at 25 microns just like the HG filter. You haven't shown any reason why the ADBV would be a problem except because you say so.
Fine! Do as you like. I’m on my fourth zero turn.
I’ve had a machine with the EZT.
I’ve had a machine with the HG-3100
I’ve had a machine with the HG-3400
I currently have a machine with the HG-5400
I won’t run that garbage brand on mine.

Last edited:
Fine! Do as you like. I’m on my fourth zero turn.
I’ve had a machine with the EZT.
I’ve had a machine with the HG-3100
I’ve had a machine with the HG-3400
I currently have a machine with the HG-5400
I won’t run that garbage brand on mine.
Nobody asked you to. And since you can't cite a valid reason why the ADVB would be a problem, I say it's a moot point. The bigger question is how will the filter perform over time. I'm sure Laser has sold many thousands of these and if they were really as bad as you think, the word would be out all over the mower forums. But so far, only positive comments from actual users.

And to answer the OP's question, the reason the OEM/Wix etc filters are so expensive is simply greed. There is nothing special about them that would make them cost 2 or 3 times the price of other similarly constructed filters.

Back