Filter pictures HPL 0W30 6,000 miles, 2002 Volvo XC70

The left behind carbon in the PCV is one possibility. Carbon subsequent to the replacement is another. Pistons and or ring lands is yet another. Turbocharger bearings would be a possibility as well.

I have no way of knowing.

But I will keep running the HPL and cutting up the filters. I have to confess that this is the first filter I cut.

So, there is a possibility that this is normal, but I think that unlikely because I have always examined the filters previously, and I think I probably would’ve seen it in the depths of the pleats, as I did on this. No way to know for certain.

As far as the engine itself - original block, head, and turbo. Several sets of plugs. A few timing belts. Engine crank and cam seals (the result of a failed PCV system, which led to the PCV system replacement.).

But the big parts are original. That alone is gratifying.

In fact, the transmission is original, too. As is the angle gear and rear differential. All are known to fail on Volvos but I believe that a lack of specified fluid changes on all of those parts is largely to blame.

On my diesel, when I used an ester based oil, the oil came out rusty brown, rather then the usual diesel black (after an oci or 2 anyway, didn't notice it at first). The same colour varnish gets. And I suspect that's what it was, varnish like substance that was either removed or prevented from depositing. I ran the oil for around 8k typically.

Nothing solid could be found in the filter which wasn't black either.

Back