Ferrari Oil - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any car that has a "special oil changing procedure?" Isn't every cars procedure;

1. Drain oil
2. Remove and replace filter
3. Replace draing plug (dont forget!)
4. Refill with oil
4. Drive away......

My manuals say to remove the oil fill cap first. Then replace it after new oil is added at the end. I guess every car is different!

Quote:

Contact a Ferrari dealership regarding the proper grade needed. Ferrari dealerships carry Shell Helix Ultra in both 5W-40 and Racing 10W-60, as well as Agip 5W-50.

I'm sure they can help with the proper oil changing procedure as well.

So for this is the best advise given. Also might want to contact Ferrari North America.

ram48,
welcome.gif
to BITOG

Quote:

Is there any car that has a "special oil changing procedure?" Isn't every cars procedure;

1. Drain oil
2. Remove and replace filter
3. Replace draing plug (dont forget!)
4. Refill with oil
4. Drive away......

Not all cars are like that. This car runs a dry sump system, not like a "normal" street car.

I've never worked on a Ferrari, but Porsche's that use dry sump setups require you to put oil in the motor, then run the motor at idle and add more. 6.5qts initially and 3.2qts while running in the case of a 93 911 RS America. You check the level with it warm and running.

Not all cars are the same
smile.gif

Somebody in Daphne has a Testarosa? I don't think anyone there had a Ferrari back in the early 70s when I was a student at Daphne Middle School. hehe

Seriously, for the climate in south Alabama I think you could put Shell Rotella T 15w40 in there and it would do just fine.

Many many thanks for all your help. We do a lot of old exotics, they are nothing new to us. I was merely playing it safe by asking you guys, because I trust your help (OK, and I was hoping Haas would step in). The job was easy, actually a pleasure. We take great care with all of our customers cars, and that's why this particular customer bought us his latest acquisition. There are no exotic dealerships here, the nearest Ferrari dealer is Atlanta, thats a six hour drive. We are most experienced with Porsche, Volvo and Mercedes (I just finished working on a 1958 220S). Sometimes there will be a car you just simply have not worked on before, and you want to play it safe by asking simple questions, thats all.

The answer to the question was Agip 10W-50. The modern recommend is 5W-40, 0W-40, 15W-50 and 10W-60 (Shell products where possible). It's hot down here on the Gulf of Mexico so I installed an oil I'm confident with, Mobil 1 15W-50. It took thirteen quarts (2/3 full - hot). Many thanks to Mark at Ferrari Atlanta for all his help and advice. And thanks to you guys for looking stuff up for me and making an effort to help - Ian.

Who would have thought, old exotics in Dephne, AL. Glad things worked out. You need to post a picture of that fine automobile for us to see, might even want to go to the photo section on this board and post some pictures of your shop.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back