Fellow 07-09 Altima 2.5S Owner help With Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 09 2.5 S VQ25, the filters for these things look like motorcycle filters, it's almost a joke how small they are. I am using the Carquest WIX xx365. Does anyone use the Wix or equivalent xx356. That has a much better Beta Ratio. I am just not sure if a bigger filter out there will work. Anybody know??

Subaru uses the same filter. The 51356 would be a good alternate choice (if it fits) esp with a wix that has a HUGE base end bypass assy that hogs all the can space and displaces element area. There is a huge M1 filter option also I dont recall the M1 PN off hand - bluesubie would know, or, Peaty.

I have the V6, and if your filter is also mounted behind the passenger side splashguard, too long of a filter will prevent the splashguard from seating properly.

I would only use the OE recommended filter size as in the event of a filter failure, the filter manufacturer will not honor their warranty as the incorrect part was used. Also, size is not always the only factor in filtration capacity-- the grade of the media is. Different sizes contain different media types to meet OEM requirements.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have the 09 2.5 S VQ25

I think you mean the QR25DE. Factory filter is a "shorty" that cross refs to the WIX 51365, K&N HP-1008, M1-108, etc. as you mentioned. The WIX 31356 or any of the following slightly longer filters will work just fine:

Purolator PureONE PL14610
Mobile 1 M1-110
K&N HP-1010
Bosch D3323
WIX 51356 (or equivalent NAPA Gold)
DENSO 150-1010 (or 150-1009)

I've been using DENSO 150-1010 filters since the factory fill was dumped at 4K miles. While I prefer the slightly longer filters since they have more filtering media, it probably doesn't make any real difference. Even it is pretty small compared to many other filters and the ones I'm used to from yesteryear and my previous vehicles.

The main advantage I have to the longer filter is that the two other vehicles I maintain use the same thing, so I only have to keep one size on my shelf.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would only use the OE recommended filter

I would generally agree, but in this case I don't think the use of the longer variant (e.g. a PL14610 versus a PL14612) would necessarily be problematic from a warranty perspective. The general specs (per Purolator and WIX data) are identical between long and short other than the physical height/length which just gives you some additional filtering media.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the filter recommended by Bosch used to be the 3323 which is the longer filter. I see that they now recommend a 3300. I don't know if the previous recommendation was an error in their data or if they added the 3300 size to their line to eliminate concern/confusion.

Why do you think you need a bigger filter?
The stock size flows plenty of oil and has enough dirt holding capacity for the engine. I was parts manager at a Nissan dealer for a few years, even the mediocre oem filter with cardboard endcaps held up well. I run Purolator Pureone filters on the wifes Quest, I have cut a few open and they always look great!

03 2.5L owner here. I agree the Nissan spec'd OE is tiny. I've run the Puro# 14610 or Fram #7317 almost exclusively. I did slip on a larger PL14459 recently and it's just fits my 03. Can't say if it will fit you 07-09, it might. That said, there's no issues fitting the longer 14610/7317.

Check out the thread below, there's lots of information and pics regarding the 14610/14459 and Nissan 3.5L and 2.5L filter applications. Read the the entire thread, should help you decide.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1832936&page=1

I have the 2.5 and use the Puro 14612. It is a little larger than the 14610. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I do 10K OCI's so it can't hurt.

The 14612 is shorter than the 14610, it's closer to the OEM Nissan shorty filter. Between the two, I'd pick the 14610.

Part Number: L14610 Specifications:
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes
Height 3.52
O.D. 2.69
Relief Valve P.S.I. 14-18
Threads M20x1.5
Type of Filter Spin-on

Part Number: L14612 Specifications:
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes
Height 2.93
O.D. 2.69
Relief Valve P.S.I. 14-18
Threads M20x1.5
Type of Filter Spin-on

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I have the V6, and if your filter is also mounted behind the passenger side splashguard, too long of a filter will prevent the splashguard from seating properly.

I would only use the OE recommended filter size as in the event of a filter failure, the filter manufacturer will not honor their warranty as the incorrect part was used. Also, size is not always the only factor in filtration capacity-- the grade of the media is. Different sizes contain different media types to meet OEM requirements.
I agree with Critic. You don't need an oversize Filter. You can change oem oiling dynamics when you go oversize. Just get a good quality filter in the proper size.

In this particular instance, I don't think it'll matter one bit whether you use a PL14612 or a PL14610 (or equivalent). I use the latter because the two other vehicles I maintain use the same thing, so I only have to keep one size on my shelf. Also, I believe the two are pretty much interchangeable when it comes to the QR25DE. In 2006 and earlier, Nissan's spec for it was the PL14610. And I've read of folks going to the dealer to get filters; sometimes they're given the longer one, other times the shorter one.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
You can change oem oiling dynamics when you go oversize.

I'd like to see scientific evidence of that phenomena theory. I highly doubt the size of the filter is going to change how the oil flows through the engine. Remember, the filter flows about 15 times better than the engine's oiling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back