FAA investigating MLB coach being allowed in the cockpit during a charter flight

I would think if he did something where the pilots couldn't regain control it could be a problem. Especially if he crashed. It happened a while ago and it was totally unintentional. I was able to jump seat once pre 9/11 on an Airbus and it was great.

@Astro14 can pitch in more, but it is operated under the same rules.
I bet it happens a lot on charter flights. Posting a video about it was a DUMB move.
There are times when the cockpit does not have to be secured, like a ferry flight. On those flights, I have had a United Flight Attendant on the Jump seat, for example.

I am not certain of the security rules on a charter. I would have to look that up. It may have been OK for them to visit the cockpit, it may not.

Of greater concern, was the non pilot occupying the control seat. That is absolutely not allowed, regardless of the rules under which the flight was operated.

There are times when the cockpit does not have to be secured, like a ferry flight. On those flights, I have had a United Flight Attendant on the Jump seat, for example.

I am not certain of the security rules on a charter. I would have to look that up. It may have been OK for them to visit the cockpit, it may not.

Of greater concern, was the non pilot occupying the control seat. That is absolutely not allowed, regardless of the rules under which the flight was operated.
I actually completely forgot guy was in the seat.

I don't know the charter rules, on a chartered Delta 767 flight from the Middle East to Atlanta I was warmly invited into the cockpit mid-flight. I had no inkling that the pilots were violating any laws.

I don't know the charter rules, on a chartered Delta 767 flight from the Middle East to Atlanta I was warmly invited into the cockpit mid-flight. I had no inkling that the pilots were violating any laws.
They may not have been.

Delta pilots tend to be quite strict about following rules.

Is that a post-9/11 rule?

I can remember asking, and getting permission, to visit the cockpit during a flight when I was a kid, maybe 4-5 years old. Even got to sit in one of the pilot’s seats and played with the yoke!

This would have been around 1984-85 timeframe.

Reactions: hrv
Is that a post-9/11 rule?

I can remember asking, and getting permission, to visit the cockpit during a flight when I was a kid, maybe 4-5 years old. Even got to sit in one of the pilot’s seats and played with the yoke!

This would have been around 1984-85 timeframe.
Prior to 9/11 … I watched James A. Baker III get buckled in (engineers seat) for a landing … (old DC10) …

Prior to 9/11 … I watched James A. Baker III get buckled in (engineers seat) for a landing … (old DC10) …
hhhmmmmm....

MV5BOWI0YjM3YjQtYjc1Ny00Yzg1LWJjYjAtZDJjYWJjODFmNzU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

Back