Extremely dirty oil when drained. Engine condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drained the oil from the 3.0Liter inline 6 in the BMW. It's a two and a half year old vehicle. The oil was a extremely dark brown in color and it was awfully thick and dense expecially at the bottom of the oil drain basket I used. The oil at the bottom was almost syrupy in thickness. This is the second oil change this vehicle has ever had. Or first depending if the dealer really performed the oil change or not. Anyways is this any indication to the condition of the engine?

We need more information; year, model of car, how many miles on the last OCI, and what type of oil used.

Not enough info and it really depends. Why does it matter? Your car, a relatives or friends car? a customers car? Since you opened the can of worms I'll have to ask about the rest of the fluids.

Not really enough info to diagnose the problem. But brown, thick , and syrupy make me think that this car may have a head gasket problem and coolant is getting into the oil.

Must know the # of miles on the oil.

Was it drained when the engine was cold? That could be the reason for the thickness.

Originally Posted By: Clean_Engine
I drained the oil from the 3.0Liter inline 6 in the BMW. It's a two and a half year old vehicle. The oil was a extremely dark brown in color and it was awfully thick and dense expecially at the bottom of the oil drain basket I used. The oil at the bottom was almost syrupy in thickness. This is the second oil change this vehicle has ever had. Or first depending if the dealer really performed the oil change or not. Anyways is this any indication to the condition of the engine?

Clean_Engine,

That sounds not too unusual since BMW only allow once per year oil changes.
If you ask the dealership to change it before I heard every 15K they will turn you down.
Make sure the oil you drained yourself doesn't void your warranty.

Durango

Would a HG issue turn the oil "extremely dark"?

I don't think there's much cleaning going on if this is only the third batch of oil this engine has seen. With out more info, it's hard to give any advice, but lowering the OCI to the severe service schedule might be warranted. The only real way to find out is to send a sample out. If you drained the oil into a clean container, you might be able to use that to find out pretty quickly what the issues might be, if any. As others said, it may simply be a "normal" darkening of the oil and the thickness due to draining cold oil.

The car is two and a half years old, this is only the second OC, and you're always on the move?

eek.gif
eek.gif

I think it's funny that so many think the color of the oil dictates how dirty their engine is. Do you really think your oil is going to stay amber for very long? If you are so concerned, run a $20 UOA (used oil analysis).

Being it is such a new car and you are under warranty, I bring it up to the Service Manager. If you are concerned that they didn't change your oil, you could always draw a sample directly after the oil change and that should tell you if they changed your oil or not. You would then have proof to bring into the service manager.

^I highly doubt BMW would NOT change the oil at Their own recommended intervals. Why would they risk engine damage while the car is under warranty?

Used oil will come out dark, thats just the way it works.

OP, drain the oil you JUST put in yesterday and i'll put money on it that its going to come out looking dark.

It doesn't mean the engine is dirty or anything, it just means the new oil mixed with a good quart of the old oil still left in the engine somewhere... did a little cleaning and turned dark as a result.
It doesn't mean its bad. thats just how it works.

The BMW OCI are long from what I have read, and if the oil color, thickness etc gave you alarm when you changed it, and you noticed maybe you need to shorten the interval.

I see those that come in flogging both the OP, and others before getting every single piece of information. I don't see the merit in all the information asked for, and then the opened a can of worms ? It seems like it almost depends on which day of the week you ask a question here as to what kind of answer your going to get !!

As far as the used oil showing indication of the condition of the engine it does not for the most part.. BUT it is an indicator somewhat of the condition of the oil, and I have read many times on this board from people who owned BMW's, and others as well that they would shorten the OCI.. there is also pictures of sludge covered engine internals.. I would shorten the OCI by 25%-30% if it were my BMW just to be on the safe side !!

^I'd do the same. Some OEM intervals are just TOO long for certain engines/conditions.

A manufacturer like BMW knows the engine will last regardless of the OCI. They want to make it seem that their engines are of the highest quality and 15k intervals are a walk in the park for them but thats just not the case in a lot of the threads on BMW engines i've seen all over the web.

I'd shorten the OCI a bit as well, or at the very least run a short interval to clean up the sludgy old oil out before resuming normal intervals.

How many miles?

Pull the valve cover off for inspection. If you can't do that, then shorten your intervals to every 6 months.

If you want to know the condition of the oil, send an old sample in for analysis.

Plenty of sludge up BMW pictures on the web. Sludge/grime can be prevented by using top quality oils and using a sensible OCI based on your driving style.

unDummy I don't know the amount of miles on the OP car, BUT he did say 2.5 years old, and I would not touch a BMW (nor any other manufacture probably) but especially not a BMW's valve cover, or any other part on the engine for removal of engine covers for inspection... NOT TOUCH LOL on a 2.5 year old car,

On edit, not to be rude... but please start a new thread if you wish on smileys, don't hijack the OP's post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Eh, i'm bored and i know some smileys may make people LOL when reading my post's so, i put in the effort.
wigglesmiley.gif

Thanks for the smiley effort. They always make me laugh.

Did you guys figure out this is a bogus thread?

All the dude did was throw out a silly topic and sit back and watch you guys try to figure it out.

Ignore ignorant posts

Hint: BMW's give out free oil changes for a year or two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back