Exterior Trim Protectants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for something to freshen up my 2005 F-150 Lariat. It is parked outside and the bed moldings, the bumper appliques, the door handle surrounds and the mirror housings are all made of plastic and have faded over time.
Looked at the Wipe New commercial and thought of using it until I see it can ruin paint. Today I used a product made by Stoner for trim and bumpers, an aerosol, and it has made my black molding and plastic look like new. Has anyone used the product and if so what is its durability. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks

related:
After restoring trim finish with one of those products, would it last longer if one 'sealed' the finish with a traditional WOWA paint sealant? Would it even work on trim?

Just a random thought I had...

Most of us can find something to 'renew' the look/finish of faded trim, but I still don't know what to use to KEEP it that way...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
related:
After restoring trim finish with one of those products, would it last longer if one 'sealed' the finish with a traditional WOWA paint sealant? Would it even work on trim?

Just a random thought I had...

Most of us can find something to 'renew' the look/finish of faded trim, but I still don't know what to use to KEEP it that way...

Some sealants don't play well with plastics. I'd suggest checking the label before doing anything.

I have found in my experience that 303 has poor durability on outside plastics and rubber. It does fantastic on the dash though.

Collinite 845 plays reasonably well with trim if you can find a product that turns it black. It does leave a slight white haze on textured trim though.

Last edited:
Sorry, Fusion is a type of paint - if you didn't know. The extra effort required to use it instead of a "restorative" product is worthwhile. I am speaking anecdotally and from personal experience. Do it once, the right way, and you can forget about it for years afterward.

Originally Posted By: walk23
I was looking for something to freshen up my 2005 F-150 Lariat. It is parked outside and the bed moldings, the bumper appliques, the door handle surrounds and the mirror housings are all made of plastic and have faded over time.
Looked at the Wipe New commercial and thought of using it until I see it can ruin paint. Today I used a product made by Stoner for trim and bumpers, an aerosol, and it has made my black molding and plastic look like new. Has anyone used the product and if so what is its durability. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks

I have used, and continue to use, the Stoner Trim Shine on my car's black plastic exterior trim. I love the stuff, but I don't think it is made to "restore" the black so much as it is just keep it black. The durability is average I think in that respect - reapply after a couple of car washes.

The only product I have used to re-black some plastic that was not black any more is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-800-Black-Restore-fl/dp/B0009LSXAE

It did a very nice job for me. It says "for up to 6 months" or something like that, but I did the plastic under my hood on top of my radiator last December, and I have not noticed any fading or anything...and it was decidedly un-black before application!
(I wiped it down with lacquer thinner in a drunken moment of ignorance, which made it look like imitation ivory or something).

Peace and Hair Grease!
Nuke

P.S. I forgot to mention that the Bondo stuff was found locally at a Wal-Mart, which is a big pro in my book. I like to be able to purchase stuff like this locally rather than order and wait...but that's just me and my quirky self.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30
I have found in my experience that 303 has poor durability on outside plastics and rubber. It does fantastic on the dash though.

Collinite 845 plays reasonably well with trim if you can find a product that turns it black. It does leave a slight white haze on textured trim though.

303 isn't supposed to look glossy -- are you certain it's worn off and not just invisible? I find it to be very long lasting on tires and exterior trim. I love it for the dashboard because it doesn't look like you have any products on at all.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: gofast182
If you want something that's not a dye the best thing I've used is Adam's Super VRT. It's not sticky or greasy, lasts a long time, and smells pleasant.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams-Super-VRT_p_222.html

+1, I recently got some of this and was very happy with the results.

Yes, it's great stuff. You'll find that after a second application the durability is nearly double what it was after the first application.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

I probably wouldn't try Collinite however 303 is not where you want to be looking where exterior trim is concerned, it'll wash off fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Update: after a week of heavy rains, its clear that the Stoner Trim Shine is short lived. I may try the Adams VRT as I'm looking for something a bit more long lasting.

armor all works great for my escape that is covered in plastic cladding. it doesn't last super long but it restores the color as good as anything else. I think an application of AA and a sealant might last a while.

Satisfied with the Chemical Guys Black on Black product on my F-150 XL. Quite a lot of black trim there. I don't know how much actual restoration it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back