Ever had anything stolen from your hotel room?

a freind texted me that his daughter got her high dollar purse stolen at a name hotel in Chicago. Someone got into the room. they reported to security, but i told him don't expect them to do much about it.

I have stayed in a few hotel rooms in my life. never had anything go missing. Have you ever had anything stolen from your room?

Yes, Hampton Inn, Savannah, GA, by I-95 and SAV airport. They short-booked me and a number of others. I get back Thursday night and my key won't work. Find someone else in the room. And a bunch of angry folks in the lobby. Everything was stolen from all of us.

One guy could track his Apple devices, which were 100 miles away by then. Cops did nothing, hotel did nothing. But I did get Gulfstream/Flight Safety to remove that hotel from a list of places to stay.

The girl at the front desk was in on it. As were the cleaners. I put all the missing items on my company credit card.

I've stayed in a couple peoples share of hotels between 2008 and 2019, never had anything stolen.

More proud of my stat of never leaving something in a room on checkout.

My room was robbed in Moscow in 1990. The hotel rooms had skeleton keys, and someone entered the room next to mine and climbed out the their window and into mine. Took my briefcase which had a couple of hundred dollars in it, two suits, and a pair of shoes. It also had my passport and visa. He changed into my suit and left behind his pants and shoes. He must have looked odd leaving the hotel since his pants indicated he was quite short and my suits were size 44 long and shoes size 13.

Spent the next day getting a new passport at the US embassy (a souvenir issued in the USSR!) followed by a real adventure getting a new visa to leave the country (ever try to get two photos on a Saturday in Moscow!). An hour before leaving for the airport the police arrived and had my briefcase, broken open of course. The crook took the money and a few other small items, but left behind my passport and visa - I doubt they would have been able to use or sell them as airport security was very tight.

My insurance covered my loss.

Used to hide valuables and cash someplace like under the bottom drawer of the bureau.
The ziploc baggie in the toilet tank is known.

Oops there, I said it out loud now ...

I used to travel a lot for work . Always stayed in budget type places . I never left anything of value in my room though . If anybody went through my stuff they were pretty disappointed .

Whether stolen or just plain gone back in ye olde times I left my camera cable in my hotel during the day over a multiple night stay,
someone “stole” my Digital Cameras proprietary “usb” cord that was similar to but different than a micro or mini usb . It was in my open toothpaste bag.

The sad part was that the cord was extremely overpriced, unique, to that one model of obscure camera, for some reason, the much cheaper next model camera was again slightly different .

I ended up with a $5 flash drive that accepted my particular memory card instead of the stupid $45 proprietary usb cable.

Back