Even the mighty Porsche DI succumbs to deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Seafoam in the past to help remove carbon buildup, but since my car is older, I didn't want to put some seafoam in the oil pan to help clean up that gunk (since I think it would clean TOO well, and cause leaks).

However, since only oil goes above these valves (so no fuel additive would help), would something like seafoam in the pan help to remove/dissolve these gunky buildups?

Every time you shut an engine off, vapors condense. If you have PCV or EGR going thru the intake, you will add that buildup too. Add some reversion vapors and...... Toss in discount fuel that we're all looking for always, and those extended maintenance intervals.....

Now with DI, you can't use spray from 'fuel' to clean 'em! DI renders bottles of FI cleaner in the tank, for valve/intake cleaning, all but useless.

You need to setup a Marvel Oiler(search ampcolubes) with some BG44k/Marvel blend or SI1/PI or some other UCL/FI cleaner. Another option, water injection, should keep the intake path nice and clean. Never underestimate the power of steam. And, in the winter, to keep the water from freezing, just add alcohol.

I'm laughing. All the benefits of DI and 'this' was somehow missed by millions of dollars of superior OE engineering
LOL.gif

Looks like 25k or yearly Power Foam is a must in DI engines.
http://lubegard.com/automotive/fuelsystem_instructions.pdf or equivalent!!!!
Decarbon intake path cleaning... I guess all those unnecessary quicklube upsells are really needed now.

I remember the good ol' days of Seafoaming carb's and rotaries. Now, we need to 'Seafoam' all DI engines too.

Please, bring me your Porshas, Oowdis, folksvagens, and fancy DI vehicles to me for a classic Seafoam treatment. I have some mosquitoes here that need smoking!

Still laughing
crackmeup2.gif

I do pity the 2nd, 3rd... owners of these vehicles
15.gif

45.gif

Oh shoot, the DI crowd is onto us. All the inverse oilers on ebay just doubled in price.

I know this was said as a comment before on here a year or 2 ago, but with fuel dilution why would the oil evaporating with fuel in it (from fuel dilution) not simply make its way through the intake system past the valves it just cleaned and eventually out the exhaust or even back into the cumbustion chamber cleaning the intake valves in a turbo app where it could possibly have another chance at combustion? A high quality fuel ahould have plenty of cleaning ability to prevent carbon and sludge in this process. Additionally the fuel adds like Shell's nitrogen, which by 3rd party commentary is much less prone to conbustion with the nitrogen attached, getting into the oil or even surviving the combustion process would still clean this funk out of the system. Help me understand if/where Im wrong in my logic

We are seeing extremely fouled intake manifolds when inducing higher boost levels (7+psi levels) on newer mustang 3V's. The intake is badly oil fouled due to increased boost. It seems the new 4.6 3V's have a healthy PCV system and the addition of a catch-can solves the problem.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
This is an interesting thread....my '07 Solstice GXP is a 2.0 turbo DI of the Ecotec family.
24k miles and no detectable decrease in 1/4 or 0-60. No warm up issues either.

A number of possible causal factors have been discussed.

Maybe I missed something....
I wonder if reversion from valve timing overlap at the end of exhaust/beginning of intake has been considered as an additional possible causal factor?
My understanding is that increased valve timing overlap boosts high rpm breathing and is sometimes used as EGR.

A catch can in the PCV might prove useful to minimize one avenue of contamination.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: rrtx2007
We are seeing extremely fouled intake manifolds when inducing higher boost levels (7+psi levels) on newer mustang 3V's. The intake is badly oil fouled due to increased boost. It seems the new 4.6 3V's have a healthy PCV system and the addition of a catch-can solves the problem.

Badly fouled may not a problem if the oil burns clean, so low SAPS may help to reduce the particulates that may deposit on valve or exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back