Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

Traffic lights on highways? The only highway I drive frequently is I95. I can't recall seeing a single traffic light on it between the northeast and Florida.
Yes, Sunrise Highway [Long Island] specifically in Nassau County, has traffic lights, I mentioned it by name for a reason. Then Google how long it can take to get into NYC from western Nassau County and let me know if you'd want Stop/Start. I can tell you from Valley Stream to just over the 59th Street bridge has taken me 3 hours, more than once. That's a little under 25 miles if memory serves me correct. I can't speak for other parts of the country, I live on Long Island. I'd be willing to bet many of the people touting how great and seamless Stop/Start is would hate it in short order if they lived here. I'd also bet the system won't last as long as it would in rural parts of the nation.

Edit: perhaps "highways" was a poor choice of words. But I didn't name it Sunrise Highway. ;)

Last edited:
If you are a vehicle manufacturer, and you want to sell the maximum number of vehicles you can, the push start/off button is needed. Today's buyer's expect it, no matter if it is better or worse then a key start. It is what it is when it comes to what the most buyers want.

Yes, Sunrise Highway [Long Island] specifically in Nassau County, has traffic lights, I mentioned it by name for a reason. Then Google how long it can take to get into NYC from western Nassau County and let me know if you'd want Stop/Start. I can tell you from Valley Stream to just over the 59th Street bridge has taken me 3 hours, more than once. That's a little under 25 miles if memory serves me correct. I can't speak for other parts of the country, I live on Long Island. I'd be willing to bet many of the people touting how great and seamless Stop/Start is would hate it in short order if they lived here. I'd also bet the system won't last as long as it would in rural parts of the nation.

Edit: perhaps "highways" was a poor choice of words. But I didn't name it Sunrise Highway. ;)

LOL, yes NY-27. I am on that every, as I work in Rosedale. It is no highway, especially around rush hour. I have been tempted to walk home.

If you are a vehicle manufacturer, and you want to sell the maximum number of vehicles you can, the push start/off button is needed. Today's buyer's expect it, no matter if it is better or worse then a key start. It is what it is when it comes to what the most buyers want.
I think there is some confusion here....this isn't about push button start vs. key - it's about auto stop/start systems...

LOL, yes NY-27. I am on that every, as I work in Rosedale. It is no highway, especially around rush hour. I have been tempted to walk home.
LOL You know the drill! ;) It sucks. During the early stages of CV-19 when everyone who could work at home, worked at home, so a commute into NYC was like a pleasant dream. Now less people are working in the city, but more are driving in instead of taking the LIRR. So the commute once again sucks, even with less people working in the city. Many people from other parts of the US haven't experienced the crappy commute we have so their opinion of START/STOP differs from ours a lot.

Has OP been out of their house in the last 3 years? Almost all new cars have these. I hate it but that’s mostly because I live in Arizona and the A/C never really stays cool when the engine shuts off especially if it’s 115°outside.

Has OP been out of their house in the last 3 years? Almost all new cars have these. I hate it but that’s mostly because I live in Arizona and the A/C never really stays cool when the engine shuts off especially if it’s 115°outside.
Same - that's really the only downside for me. The VW system will not cut off if the AC is on "max" or if not and on "auto" the fan is above 4.

Back