Engine mount wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if the engine mounts on vehicles that see mostly city driving are prone to wearing out early.

Reason I ask is our '05 ML500 only has 39,400 miles on the clock, yet the engine mounts are well worn out. It's mostly driven in the city, although it sees its share of the highway about once or twice a week.

Initially, I noticed the transmission shifter literally moving under moderate to heavy acceleration, so I checked the transmission mounts. They aren't exactly perfect, but they're not too bad either. But the engine mounts are in definite need of replacement. If you were to hold down the brake in drive and rev the engine a bit, you will see literally the engine moving up and to the right! Will be replacing both engine and transmission mounts next week, and I'm really not looking forward to it.
crazy.gif

If you have sand in your oil, it may be getting into and wearing out the mounts as well. That and the extreme heat and humidity where you live could be factors.

the more the engine rocks from acceleration and whatnot, the more wear the mounts will endure. city driving will do this. i replaced my mounts with solid polyurethane mounts but im not driving a mercedes.

You might want to go to a dealer and get a second opinion before you dig into the job. Mercedes engine mounts are soft to give you that smooth Mercedes ride, and they may be just fine as they are. If there's no noises or clunks, you might end up new mounts that work just like the old ones.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I was just wondering if the engine mounts on vehicles that see mostly city driving are prone to wearing out early.

Reason I ask is our '05 ML500 only has 39,400 miles on the clock, yet the engine mounts are well worn out. It's mostly driven in the city, although it sees its share of the highway about once or twice a week.

Initially, I noticed the transmission shifter literally moving under moderate to heavy acceleration, so I checked the transmission mounts. They aren't exactly perfect, but they're not too bad either. But the engine mounts are in definite need of replacement. If you were to hold down the brake in drive and rev the engine a bit, you will see literally the engine moving up and to the right! Will be replacing both engine and transmission mounts next week, and I'm really not looking forward to it.
crazy.gif

I am not sure on your particular car, but many cars now a days don't have just simple rubber mounts that go bad after a few years. Mainly from Engine heat that rots the rubber.

Now a days, they are gel filled, hydrolic, or Electronic mounts to make the car quieter and less vibration prone. As these new advances in vibration control are valuable for comfort, I find that they do not last as long as the old rubber mounts.

So is it pre mature that yours wore out? Not really, but one would think for how much the vehicle cost, that they would last much longer.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I am not sure on your particular car, but many cars now a days don't have just simple rubber mounts that go bad after a few years. Mainly from Engine heat that rots the rubber.

Now a days, they are gel filled, hydrolic, or Electronic mounts to make the car quieter and less vibration prone. As these new advances in vibration control are valuable for comfort, I find that they do not last as long as the old rubber mounts.

So is it pre mature that yours wore out? Not really, but one would think for how much the vehicle cost, that they would last much longer.

Jeff

I agree. On my 05 Trailblazer the mounts were bad after about 3 years and maybe 45K miles. What happened is at idle there would be a noticeable vibration. I had my SUV to 3 different dealerships. One said they couldn't hear anything, one said they couldn't find anything wrong, and one said they "adjusted" the exhaust system.
Many of us over at Trailvoy complained of the problem but finally one person found the solution.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.ph...ht=motor+mounts

Originally Posted By: Burt
If you have sand in your oil, it may be getting into and wearing out the mounts as well. That and the extreme heat and humidity where you live could be factors.

That sample's been sent for analysis, will see how it turns out. Although I have been told it isn't sand, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
the more the engine rocks from acceleration and whatnot, the more wear the mounts will endure. city driving will do this. i replaced my mounts with solid polyurethane mounts but im not driving a mercedes.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Makes sense, although I'm not sure what the mounts on the ML are made of. Will check and report back!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jaj
You might want to go to a dealer and get a second opinion before you dig into the job. Mercedes engine mounts are soft to give you that smooth Mercedes ride, and they may be just fine as they are. If there's no noises or clunks, you might end up new mounts that work just like the old ones.

Thanks, will definitely get a second opinion.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I agree. On my 05 Trailblazer the mounts were bad after about 3 years and maybe 45K miles. What happened is at idle there would be a noticeable vibration. I had my SUV to 3 different dealerships. One said they couldn't hear anything, one said they couldn't find anything wrong, and one said they "adjusted" the exhaust system.
Many of us over at Trailvoy complained of the problem but finally one person found the solution.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.ph...ht=motor+mounts

Have heard quite a few horror stories about the engine mounts from a friend who owns an Envoy.
crazy.gif

Some shifter play with the transaxle's normal rocking motion (warning, loud):

is normal with rod linkage. It shouldn't happen at all on cars with cable linkage.

I doubt you can develop problems with the engine and transmission mounts unless you shift rough (release clutch in gear like you would in neutral, not rev up between gears on downshifts, etc.) or there's an underlying issue like I had, with the OEM damped crank pulley failing and becoming loose and unbalanced.

It shook the whole engine and beat on the mounts something awful:

I've found that Volvo mounts wear out quickly. I've been told (though I am not sure I believe...) that it's because they are highly stressed to allow the engine to move in a crash...

That said, heat is the enemy of rubber...and you've got plenty of it in Kuwait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back