Engine getting noisier....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed over the past week, that my Accords engine is running louder than usual. No knocking or anything like that, when listening from the front of the car you hear the injectors, but when listening from the sides (wheel well area) there is more noise than it usually puts out, its a clattery more raspy sound than I am used too. I will also add, that this is the longest I have gone on an OCI. I am about to hit the 6 month marker, its been over 4100 miles so far as well. This is not long for many of you, but most of these miles are short hops to work, errands, etc. Could it be that the oil has sheared to the point of making the engine noise more pronounced? I am still planning on going the full 5K I was planning for. I will be doing a UOA when this OCI is up. The oil is M1 AFE 0w20, a great oil no doubt, but it does have a tendency to shear. Have any of you experienced more noise as you go further into your OCI?

Personally I remember when I used Mobil 1 about ten years ago, the valve train in my CRV sounded like an old sewing machine. I switched to using whatever synthetic was on sale besides Mobil 1 and never had an excessively loud valve train again. I have used Mobil 1EP without any noise issues. I never went back to the standard Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You're running 0W-20 in there, what did you expect?

It wasn't always this noisy Merk, just agree to disagree and move on. Ive used 0w20 for years and noise hasn't been an issue. Its not THAT noisy now, but there is certainly more noise than a few weeks ago.

On my last vehicle, I noticed more valve train noise on Mobil Super Synthetic. The next OCI (5k) I switched to PP as it was on sale and noticed a significant reduction in noise. So sometimes engines like different formulations. If you stick with M1 you might switch to 0w-20 EP which has twice the level of group 4 oil as the AFE.

Another option is to add about 150 ml of Lubri Moly MOS2 which I have noticed quiets valve train noise on OHC engines quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
On my last vehicle, I noticed more valve train noise on Mobil Super Synthetic. The next OCI (5k) I switched to PP as it was on sale and noticed a significant reduction in noise. So sometimes engines like different formulations. If you stick with M1 you might switch to 0w-20 EP which has twice the level of group 4 oil as the AFE.

Another option is to add about 150 ml of Lubri Moly MOS2 which I have noticed quiets valve train noise on OHC engines quite a bit.

Thanks for the advice. I already have TGMO 0w20 lined up to go in when it hits 130K. I have run the TGMO before, but during the winter, it will be the spring a summer fill this time. I didn't have any excess noise when I ran it last time, although it is thinner than the M1 AFE. If it turns out to be noisy I may give M1 EP or PP a try. Hoping the TGMO takes care of the noise though. Its my personal favorite 0w20.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
It wasn't always this noisy Merk, just agree to disagree and move on. Ive used 0w20 for years and noise hasn't been an issue. Its not THAT noisy now, but there is certainly more noise than a few weeks ago.

Just drain the stuff out and put a 30 weight in there. Something other than Mobil 1.

I actually find the 0w20 AFE quieter than the EP in my car. I think ur like most of us..overthinking the noise. Mobil oil always seems loud til engine is fully warmed up in my experience. Run the 5k and get the oil looked at..but I doubt its sheared or anything. bet you could run it 10k and be fine. I keep my changes to about 5k miles though..but im likely paranoid and overthinking it.Though, i dont drive as much as I used to so it works out to 2-3 times a year. Its not too thin..thats plain nonsense.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Perhaps it is sign of some oil coking up on the rings.
Times to Kreen or flush

With M1 in 4000 miles? Hilarious. Relax, Greg - just change it at the 5k mark with anything you want.

If the noise is coming from the side of the car, like from the wheel well, check for a bearing on an engine accessory going south (such as alternator, air conditioning compressor, etc).

1) Take a recording of the engine running and verify noise there you here.

2) Change oil

3) Repeat step 1 and compare to see if noise exists or your likely OCD self is hearing things.

4) if noise exists my guess is valve's may be going out of lash.

To answer your q I have overrun Mobil 5000 to 8000 miles(0% on OLM with nasty gram on display showing 600 miles past) in my MDX and noticed no difference in running or sound. My guess the oil was out of sheer too.

I used to be OCD too on this stuff but finally realized not to worry about tomorrow or past just today.

Do you ever give your K24 a good run? Getting on it and getting it warm?

Post a video with the noise.

If you saw how I ran the K24 in my Accord, you'd think you were a saint.

As Demar noted, have you done a valve adjustment yet?

I'm nearing 150k on mine and plan to do my first adjustment this Spring/Summer. My car is noisy when cold, but has been so for sometime, and I think it is the nature of the beast. I'm running the ppp for 10k and have 8k on it now.

Oil is at the right level?

In Florida in the summer I'd be using T6, I don't much care what the thin oil boys say. T6 is known to quiet down internals. What, BTW does your Hond amanual say for your climate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back