Endervolting a CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see how you could undervolt a laptop cpu. The BIOS never has any sort of adjustment. Plus, they already do that anyway, automagically underclocking/undervolting based on load requirements.

Years ago, accidentally, on a Pentium 200MMX. The results were crashes and instability until the CPU voltage was increased to what it should have been.

Some OSes will allow you to run the CPU lower to extend battery life, you can then have it set to automatically up the CPU when needed. This allows it to run cooler and require less power until needed. What CPU is in your notebook?

I've undervolted in conjunction with an underclock, just as you would overvolt with an overclock. The voltage/clock relationship is really more related to heat in the silicon substrate. The hotter it gets, the higher the voltage that must be applied so that the electrons can cross gaps in the silicon, which widen when it gets very warm. With a laptop's limited cooling abilities, it will only get so cool.

I don't know why you would want to do this anyway, since the Pentium M a clock frequency/core voltage modifier has been built into all the laptop chips in some form, and now the newer generations of Desktop CPU do it, too, as well as self-overclocking.

Now, what you CAN do is get a program that will allow you to control the "speed stepping," as it's called, for the processors that are enabled with it. You can tell them to stay at their undervolted/underclocked setting and not increase power in response to processor load, or you can tell them to stay at the max setting if desired. I use EEECTRL for my EEEPC's celeron M chip to do this. I can lock it down to 430 mhz if I need to watch my battery useage, or lock it into high gear if I need to cut lag from something I'm doing.

I already have my CPU underclocked in half. It's an Intel Pentium 4 M in a Dell Inspiron 5150. This model laptop, especially with the Intel Desktop processor, is known for overheating.

When ambient temps get hot and temps inside my house get into the upper 70s, low 80s, this laptop will still start getting into the mid to upper 50s Celsius when doing processor intense things.

Last edited:
Anyone have a laptop cooler? If so, do they work alright? My HD as well gets pretty hot - into the low to mid 50s Celsius on hot days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back