End of the Ford 4.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since Ford is churning out new engines for their trucks, and the Towncar, vic, and GM are coming to an end, are these wonderful long lasting engines (after many years of production) ending?

Probably being replaced by the 5.0L. Which makes perfect sense, since the 5.4L is being replaced by the 6.2L.

Its sorta cool, When I get a F-150, It will have a 302 like my 90's models do!

The 4.6 is a great engine though.

Isn't it funny though the 4.6 replaced a 5.0 and now more than likely a 5.0 is replacing the 4.6. And they are an awesome motor and yes I am biased lol.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

Yes. Though the 302 (or more commonly known as the "5.0") has much more "stigma" associated with it. Which I think will help Ford. Not all that different from the stigma associated with the "HEMI" for Dodge, even though neither engine have much, if anything in common with their namesakes.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

The new 5.0 Coyote motor has a lot more in common with the modular 4.6 engines then the old push rod 5.0. The new engine is an all-aluminum, 5.0-liter, double-overhead-cam, four-valve-per-cylinder, and redlines at 7,000 rpm

I sure hope that they don't discontinue production of the 4.6. What an engine! We have 260,000 on the 4.6 in our Grand Marquis. The engine is all original; has not been rebuilt. All we do is regular maintenance and it keeps on going!

The way I see the new 5.0 engine is simply an updated, enhanced version of the current 4.6. Since Ford has been doing a heck of a job turning out some great, quality cars now, I'm honestly not frightened with the 5.0 replacing the 4.6. Heck, it could be an all-around improvement, which would be great!

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I sure hope that they don't discontinue production of the 4.6. What an engine! We have 260,000 on the 4.6 in our Grand Marquis. The engine is all original; has not been rebuilt. All we do is regular maintenance and it keeps on going!

I'm willing to bet LOTS of money that the 4.6 won't be going away quite yet. Ford will just use it for international markets.

Great engine. Maybe the best all around V8 in American history.
I love my 32 valve 4.6. Aluminum block. Forged steel crank. Six bolt main bearing caps (cross bolted). Ram air shaker hood scoop. Underrated at 305 H.P. Closer to 330 at the crank in dyno tests and that's before bolt on upgrades.

29 MPG cruising easy on the highway.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

I'm willing to bet LOTS of money that the 4.6 won't be going away quite yet. Ford will just use it for international markets.

If the 5.0 is built on the same production lines and the 4.6 doesn't have a cost or fuel economy advantage, there wouldn't be much reason to keep it.

Yep, I bet the new 3.5L V6 will be put into many applications as well.

The 32V 4.6L (in my Mark VIII) is one awesome engine. I get 29 MPG on the freeway in a heavy car.

ford is keeping the 4.6 16v and 5.4 32v engine..+3 on the 4.6 32v very fast and 23mpg in city!!i was talking with ford last week and this is what he told me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back