Emergency equipment in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Mosquito repellent and a head net.

If I have to change/plug a wheel at night, or do anything in the way of roadside repairs, not having those could make a very unpleasant job completely intolerable.

LoL, with winter coming on here, this was not the kind of gear I had in mind!

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Good one Ducked!

I think my truck carries some of the above (tow strap, D-ring for hitch, jumper cables). And now I'm reminded that I have a car which needs similar outfitting...

One of the best tools I used to carry was a flat spade. Might be a landscaping shovel? Dunno. But'd chop down to pavement no matter what, and was great for digging out packed snow from under tires. Not so good for moving "lots" of snow, but it was the sort of tool that could take abuse when need be, the sort that would make a folding snow shovel fold up for good.

Usually I don't carry too much. Big thing is to dress for the weather. That way if a hike or extended stay is required, I'd be ok. Let AAA deal with moving a car if it's too badly buried, probably safer to get off the roadway and someplace warm.

Around town, not much. When I drive out of town, I have a full bag of supplies, food, water, clothing, shoes, socks, pistol, ammo, etc.

If I lived up north, I would definitely have a lot of warm clothing, blankets, water, food, sleeping bag, etc in case I had to sleep in the car overnight. Not to mention tow straps, shovel, recovery gear, etc.

Usually I don't carry too much. Big thing is to dress for the weather. That way if a hike or extended stay is required, I'd be ok. Let AAA deal with moving a car if it's too badly buried, probably safer to get off the roadway and someplace warm. [/quote]
Having traveled into a storm after Thanksgiving last year I saw seven vehicles in the ditch in a mile. Four of those I saw the drivers where in high heels trying to get up to the road and a guy in shorts. I turned around and went back home. I lost the car I wanted to go see and buy but at least was safe. WTH

MY HF/VHF mobile ham radio gear will get me help just about anywhere, when there isn't a cell site anywhere to be seen.

I have;
-telescoping lug wrench with the 2 double-sided socket heads it came with and a thin walled 19mm for the wheels on my snow tires
-cheap fleece blanket
-jumper cables
-lined windbreaker
-cheap winter gloves
-wheel chocks
-locking folding knife w/ partially serrated blade
-2 flashlights (glove box)

Last edited:
A Triple "A" Auto Club card. Let the people I pay membership to get their hands dirty.....

Originally Posted By: CKN
A Triple "A" Auto Club card. Let the people I pay membership to get their hands dirty.....

What about when the roads become completely unpassable? No going anywhere. No help coming your way. Has happened dozens and dozens of times in our countries history. How much help is AAA going to be when you are frozen, out of gas, starving, because you had no supplies and improper clothing?

There are times the roads have gotten so bad that state troopers had to deliver food and water to the people stuck on the interstate a day or two later with snowmobiles.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

What about when the roads become completely unpassable? No going anywhere. No help coming your way. Has happened dozens and dozens of times in our countries history. How much help is AAA going to be when you are frozen, out of gas, starving, because you had no supplies and improper clothing?

There are times the roads have gotten so bad that state troopers had to deliver food and water to the people stuck on the interstate a day or two later with snowmobiles.

1) There are only so many tow trucks, there are a lot of people around me who have no idea how drive in severe snow. Thankfully, most of them are scared off the road at the forecast of snow. Ice event could leave many cars off the road, in a ditch, etc.

2) At times DOT here will pull the Plows off the road if conditions are bad enough. At that point any towing company is then operating under severe liability conditions. If it's not safe for the plows to be out...

Last edited:
I carry some warm clothes and spare underwear and socks. Flashlights, some tools, space blankets and chemlights.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

1) There are only so many tow trucks, there are a lot of people around me who have no idea how drive in severe snow. Thankfully, most of them are scared off the road at the forecast of snow. Ice event could leave many cars off the road, in a ditch, etc.

2) At times DOT here will pull the Plows off the road if conditions are bad enough. At that point any towing company is then operating under severe liability conditions. If it's not safe for the plows to be out...

The beauty of life is right now if the weather is threatening at all I do not have to be ANYWHERE. I pulled a 5,500 pound travel trailer coast to coast for seven months (not where it snows) and if there was high wind or rain I simply stayed put. SO-under these circumstances a "Triple A" card works fine for me. You can simply be prepared for the worse or not go anywhere near it.....your choice.

Last edited:
so will mine.
esp when cell network is overloaded.
i have an electronics repair kit,150pc socket set,good jack,and a real spare tire.
and AAA card at the ready.
also space blanket,bottled water,and some granola bars.
several led flashlights/work lights that i modded to recharge from micro usb.
good jump box with a new battery every 2 years.cheap slow air compressor too.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
MY HF/VHF mobile ham radio gear will get me help just about anywhere, when there isn't a cell site anywhere to be seen.

The beauty of life is right now if the weather is threatening at all I do not have to be ANYWHERE.

If that's the beauty of life in your eyes, then you need to get out more.

Flashlights & spare batteries
Jump Starter
Various tools & misc. (wire, zip-ties, electrical tape, hose clamps, etc.)
Toilet Paper
Vair Compressor
Safety Seal Tire Plug Kit (added dial press. gauge)
Spare Wipers
Qt of oil (have not needed to add during OC duration)
Mylar Blankets
Roll pack down jacket, socks, tee shirt, watch cap
Bottle of Heet
Pack rain gear (during wet weather season)
Wallet I keep information + those powder packets of: Headache, Stomach, & something else I'd have to check
Then I have the HAM radio + spare mag mount antenna
AM/FM/WX portable radio
Cell
And I'm know I'm missing a few items
If leaving home town I throw in extra's (sleeping bags/blankets, water & snacks/food, small camp/survival stove & fuel, coffee, spare HT radios, dogs & dog items (food, meds, blankets), tent, then things like plenty of ice in cooler, can of gas etc. all depending where we are going.
And I still know I'm missing items...
Wife will pack the vehicle like we were moving leaving the little doggies little room, but we make stops and take them on walks etc.
We just drive one of the SUV's and they have luggage racks for extra's when needed.

The beauty of life is right now if the weather is threatening at all I do not have to be ANYWHERE.

Me too. I understand that is not true for everyone, bt for me, right now, I have enough seniority (and vacation days) that I can elect to skip out on bad weather. Foot or more predicted? Freezing rain? I'm home. Few inches of snow? Meh, I'll go in.

As a result (and because I don't truly live in the country) I don't carry much. Just enough to get by.

metric wrench set
spare wiper blade (have had metal on glass- cringeworthy)
jumper cables (for helping other motorists, natch)
tow strap (though I've never been in a safe spot to use it-- people sliding off blind corners)
extra coil-on-plug
nitrile gloves
electric wire (that doubles as an emergency muffler hanger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back