Do you have factory or aftermarket sound equipment in your vehicles?

Our current cars both have factory equipment in them. I think my days of buying extra equipment are over.

Are you satisfied with your factory equipment or have you decked your vehicle out with extra amplifiers, speakers, a different head unit?

Wasn’t satisfied with a couple of them, no BT for calls, plus dead CD and/or tape deck.

Not much of an audiophile, I usually drive sans radio.

My 17 Buick Regal GS has the Bose system, not impressed, factory system in my wifes 08 Malibu LTZ rocks, the Bose system has no bottom end, thinking of going with this model sub, good reviews.

Don't usually listen to the radio except maybe the traffic station so don't really care what radio it has. Only if it's missing a radio on something I'm selling will I put one in, usually the factory unit from Ebay or junkyard.

My base 2015 Pilot has a decent enough system when turned up with 7 speakers including a subwoofer.

Our 2018 Tiguan has a really mediocre system that sounds terrible turned up by my wife. The sound quality thought is excellent for CarPlay podcasts and talking on phone.

The Tundra has cheapie refurb JVC Android Auto Head Unit and some Infiniti or something speakers. Works pretty good for what it is.
The Model 3 has the best sound system I have ever heard; far better than the Mark Levinson stuff in the 2 Lexi.

Factory in everything. In my opinion anything on a vehicle that isn’t stock takes away from the value tremendously so I keep everything stock. Plus anything aftermarket no matter what it is usually doesn’t look good.
Besides the low miles, one of the things that made me get the Super Duty was the factory radio. In my super non scientific car shopping opinion, that tends to mean older owner who probably took better care of the vehicle and didn't tune it to death.

The Tundra has:

Kenwood DMX 1037S
Arc Audio X2 1100.5 amp
Front doors - Steg SQL 650C
Dash - Audiofrog GS25
Rear Doors - Hertz K170
Custom box with 10" XR-W1040 x 2

Great system for all types of music! The stock JBL was pitiful and it's a vehicle I plan to keep long enough that it probably won't detract too much from its value. In the meantime, I get to enjoy music.

My Maxima has Pioneer speakers in all 4 doors , Pioneer 1300w Amp with 12in subwoofer in the trunk. Looking to add another one , still running the factory radio for now.

My wife's Avenger has only a Kenwood head unit with stock speakers.

Given I tend to drive older vehicles, I pretty much upgrade the sound system to some degree immediately.

The outlier would be my Chevy Volt: I specifically bought one without the factory Bose stereo as I knew I'd be upgrading almost everything. That car was tricky, given the integrated nature of the vehicle. Beyond that, there was no aftermarket harness available for the OE radio, so I spent hours sourcing both the male and female pigtails which I wired to an Alpine KTP-445 mini 4-channel amplifier. I also used an active hi-lo converter to send RCA signals to a 1500W mono amplifier powering two Image Dynamics 12" woofers.

Beyond that, I replaced the front door speakers with component mid-range 6.5's, and replaced the factory A-pillar tweeters with aftermarket units. Every piece of the system was designed to be both reversible and retain factory appearance.

My Reatta came with a full set of JL speakers installed, with wiring in the trunk for both a mono amplifier and a 2-channel amplifier to power the front door speakers. I purchased a micro 3-ch amp and re-wired the rear speakers to run off the amp instead of the HU. I'll soon be adding a compact 8" sub enclosure which will be powered by the sub output of said amp.

Speakers and amps in all.
Tend to blow stuff up too often since the volume covers up and hides all vehicle mechanical problems.

I have yet to be impressed by ANY upscale system in any vehicle.

Just recently installed a Sony receiver, remote start and backup camera in the 95 in my sig. The Pioneer speakers previously installed are fine. Not interested in a audiophile system in an old truck.

Original factory AM all-transistor radio in my 1965 Rambler, along with an under-dash Automatic Radio FM convertor that I added.

Rambler_FM.JPG

Three of our four vehicles have factory stereos.
I installed a Alpine head unit with CD and HD Radio in my pickup years ago.
I bought the truck used almost 14 years ago. It was a one owner, low miles, well smoked in truck.
Would have passed, but the price was right.
It had a Ford AM/FM/CD in it that was sticky with nicotine, and the preset buttons would stick at times.
Took it out when I found the aforementioned radio on sale at Crutchfield for $99.
Just hooked it up to the existing speakers.
Not surprisingly, the truck smelled much better after I took the factory unit out.

Back