Email Mix-Up, How Does This Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
My girlfriend thought she was sending me an email at my address of [email protected], but mistakenly sent it to [email protected]. "xxxxxx" is exactly the same in both email address ... just one is @msn.com and the other is @hotmail.com. I never got that email because it was sent to @hotmail.com.

Then a day later she received an email from a gal with an email address of [email protected] who had received the email that was originally sent to [email protected]. This gal was wondering why she was receiving this email.

How did this other gal receive an email with a totally different address then her's?
21.gif

she could be replying using a different email as well.

I've never had such a thing happen.

Tell your girlfriend to memorize your email address.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
She may have set up the first one to forward to the second one.

Don't think she ever did anything like that. She just sent it to @hotmail.com instead of @msn.com and it went to someone else with a different email address @gmail.com.

Wondering if a virus on her computer could do something like this?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
she could be replying using a different email as well.

Not sure I'm following your thoughts on that. Once the gal that got my intended email replied, they emailed back and forth a few times using their own email addresses.

This!

This!

You can also set up your email client to "return to" xxx or to spoof/ make visible to the recipient a 3rd address. I'm a POP user and don't know if/how webmail does it, or if they use POP for their webmail.

Anyway it was nice to hear back that you didn't get your email through.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This!

If she setup [email protected] to forward to [email protected], then how did someone she doesn't even know with the email address [email protected] get an email sent to [email protected]?
I think you are misunderstanding. Your GF sent the mail to [email protected]. [email protected] could have had their mail forwarded to [email protected] and when they replied they replied from the gmail address.

Clear as muddy water?

I get emails for someone else with my name all the time (my email address is my name). It's not spam, either - mainly personal correspondences with friends and family, even flight confirmations and bank statements.

I have yet to figure out what's going on.

I keep getting emails at my gmail address (which includes my last name) for Simon [my last name] or Shaniqua [my last name].

Shaniqua has Sears repair the appliances in her house. A lot. Before I started sending those straight to the spam folder, I got appointment confirmations every 2 or 3 months.

My favorite is when Simon bought a house. I received most of the documents he needed to review before closing, and the loan officer couldn't comprehend that maybe, just maybe, she had the wrong e-mail address for him.

I can't believe that I'm not the only one that has this happening.

I've even emailed back some of the family members and they've been less than helpful. Most ignore my emails, some reply and tell me they'll let him know, but nothing has changed.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Anyway it was nice to hear back that you didn't get your email through.

She sent the email to my correct address after she realized she sent it to @hotmail.com instead of @msn.com.

She also told me that she thought there was a non-delivery notice of the email with the @hotmail.com extension.

Anyway, I thought it was very strange that this happened give the fact that she's not purposely forwarding, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back