Electrically conductive adhesive/tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird little warranty problem on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

One of the two wires attached to the rear window to energize the rear window defogger has popped loose:

The dealership shot some pics similar to the one above and assured me that they will fix it under warranty as soon as a new rear window is shipped to the dealership, but no firm arrival date was given.

I'd be ok with fixing the current window but the service guy assured me that in his experience I would be back fairly soon because it wouldn't hold. (Walking out to look at the Jeep he even knew it would be on the right side, so they are seeing this problem more than once..sounds like a run of rear windows on which the right side connector is suspect..)

So apparently there is no way to use some kind of electrically conductive epoxy or double-sided tape to reattach this connector?

Any other thoughts welcome. Someone said the rear window costs $1100, so you'd think there'd be motivation to figure out how to fix that dime-sized booboo...

(Of course, I'll follow the wisest course and wait for the new window to arrive...)

Thanks,

Commo

Common problem on Sebring convertibles. They use a spade terminal and the wires were routed badly; there's a TSB on how to reroute the wires. I have soldered mine back on. I tinned the tab well, held it with long needlenose pliers, pressed it to the glass with my soldering gun and as soon as the solder melts pulling the gun away.

I was going to mention that we use some silver filled conductive epoxy in the aerospace electronics industry, but the links above cover that. Absolute cleanliness of your bonding surface and holding the part in place without stress until fully cured will ensure your chances of success. I would assume you would need to abrade both surfaces as part of the cleaning process. I have no firsthand experience with this specific type of repair, just speaking from similar applications.

All good stuff -- thanks for the links and comments.

I'm resigned to waiting for the new rear window to come in, knowing if I mess about with the wiring that I might give them an excuse not to fix it under warranty...

If it all goes south I'll try fixing it myself with one of the products mentioned above...any others to contemplate?

Commo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back